Blast from the past - my life in models

While going through my loft I found some models I put together when I was between about 12 and 16; about 28-32 years ago.  I think it's fair to say that my desire to get things finished far outweighed my patience and desire to do a good job.  I also found some models that I must have started and maybe even finished at least ten years ago.  As I'm new here I thought it might be good to put them all in one thread.  My preference is for 1:24 or 1:25 scale kits and I think Tamiya was the easiest brand to get although I have a few others.  I tended to get the cars that appealed to me, rather than following any more carefully thought out collecting strategy.

The newer ones will come in a while, when my phone has recharged and I've taken some photos.  Here are the really old ones, I'm a bit nervous sharing these (warts and all).

From left to right (oldest to most recent); Hasegawa Buick Wildcat; Tamiya Porsche 911 Turbo "flatnose" and Tamiya Mercedes-Benz 500SL 6.0 (not sure if that's the correct designation).  They were all brush painted, probably with Humbrol enamel as that's pretty much all I could get at the time, from a distance they don't look too bad but up close they're pretty rough.

y4msGYFd_BzVwrLCJ30e1C5IVnR0dErIOLFJPXXB

Here's a close up of the Buick; complete with runs, hair in the paint, poor masking and excessive glue.

y4maOp0zWBdVPQT2InRkx_QJslpG-XxPiDWpwnT2

There are similar flaws in the 911, it's also lost the lip to the spoiler and part of the rear suspension.  I also had some odd ideas about decal placement.

y4m8mzxjteGKUCqzrSibxDVRoZQTbvehWmPaYJpi

Underneath the Porsche.

y4maSNVEkJ-peRZgz2gKECE7Sek_4_mbFBelu8m-

Probably the best view of the Mercedes.  I didn't bother with a test fit so the engine is too high and the bonnet doesn't actually sit properly.

y4mMBEYsoFMyNrYaTTAojvF4SqkZIkGiEisL0ZfV

That rear spoiler fitting isn't pretty!

y4mwG2VIHqsDQVe3EjZPdPg5QBhFCj1u2_44jlZg

I'm actually still quite pleased with how the interior looks, main flaw is that driver's side door trim that isn't located correctly.

y4m95Z_YOWSHmeXE2gbluV5qnrVXAUCv54xQu6Wr

I'm not sure what to do with these.  I'd quite like to strip the Buick down and give it a decent paint job.  The Porsche, it would be nice to add back the missing/broken bits.  The Mercedes, maybe just leave it as it is.  I hope you will see from subsequent posts how my skill has improved even if only slightly.

• Like 9

I think your old models are fine for what they are; models you built long ago when you were having fun, learning as you went on (oh, the learning never stops...) I don't think you should rework them, but preserve them and treasure them just as they are. If you want to build say the Buick better you can just get another copy of the same kit, and save your old work. It will be worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This next trio is from my more recent past, although it's got to be at least ten and more like at least fifteen years ago!  A Tamiya Mini Cooper S (the saloon racing version), Tamiya Volkswagen Beetle and an unknown Honda Prelude.

y4mQfMHTwFFZtdtMoeo-g_YwC4zuFZcpWT_AfVue

Hard to get a decent picture of the Honda, it's a dark blue, because I owned an older-style 3rd generation Prelude at the time and that was dark blue.  Paint finish was from a Halfords rattle can, as I recall.  It's not perfect but miles better than brush painting.

y4m6Qwe1sKDHKaRXr39y-A5nK890f_7PZpjeSDIf

I need to put some orange paint on the indicator repeater.  It doesn't show so well in photos but the decal for the digital dashboard is quite visible and I'm glad I managed to apply it reasonably well.  I think I even managed to paint the window rubbers black.

y4m30jLEc1srSmY3ICIZf1y9KC-Wpv2eWRkwmK6R

The underside didn't come up too badly.

y4mQr6c8YzZG2ilcus4UQnPR5f6JuOKQNEDk5Zkv

Not a bad job on the tail lamps, the badges could be better!

y4mDqy9P3-gZttZcJcuDKiD303wrVipE41uozLf9

Next up; a Tamiya (Morris?) Mini Cooper S from the saloon racing kit.  I made a version of the road-going Morris Cooper S at about the same time as the Hasegawa Buick mentioned in my previous post, but that ended up in the bin a long time ago.  I have a couple of regrets, the colour choice; in retrospect I should have gone with either green and a white roof or red with a black roof, and the finish itself isn't great - a bit more satin than gloss.  IIRC it was Rover Flame Red, again from a Halfords can.

y4mwbd-KsS7zeYYNY_2sq24yARSOpYj2ifVRazeE

The painted chrome could do with touching up and there are still a few detail bits to add.

y4mh7KsEUJkhvVfxBhl_zo8KHv2WS5gDnPEPI3HI

y4m796eKegzMCFidxoP5Kf1SYlevwuh4p1hYVj8E

y4mRWCgSz_dq9FhkgiOT9ckpCzFPT_mYXcyg8DGu

For the Volkswagen I wanted to create a weathered and tired-looking car.

y4mAX6Co3NY33GRPl6trbJ6_XVWLqOaHx886pCsQ

y4mpAigYTgd6Jq9XzBgRakMTbQAbA6Ba9QawEeag

y4m-8xZMoAkwp5oSO_YI9sK-wcoKr-MYt76ulYD0

I'd like to have another go at the Volkswagen kit and try to build a pristine example.  I also quite fancy another go at a Tamiya Mini as I feel like it would be a good way to really test my progress.

There is another Tamiya Mini, which I didn't make; it was done by my housemate at the time when I built the kits above.  He had a Mini at the time and built this as an approximation of the car he owned; his was a 1980s or early 1990s example but this was as close as we could get at the time.

y4mYgJKkUZCu0uQN4l8R1S2hQV1MuyU2Hs6w2n32

• Like 3

And to bring us up to date; two 1:24 and 1:25 kits in progress.  A Tamiya Honda Prelude XX, Tamiya Alpine A110 1600SC and AMT 1969 Plymouth GTX Hardtop.  I'll start some work in progress threads for these.

y4mEuE2PrF0qg-wfkBozeSfEw4dw2jcWzaifzvyJ

• Like 3

Trust me, those early builds in the first post are very good for a teenage build - if you want to see what a poor build at a similar age is, the links in my signature to the Dodge Charger and Lancia Stratos will show that I hadn't even progressed to painting, let alone worrying about the finish so you definitely shouldn't be embarassed.

It's nice to see how you moved on since you started building - but for me the answer to the question of whether to restore them comes down to what you'll do with them in their current state. If you're going to display them as they are, then it is definitely worth keeping them as they are as it will remind you of the progress you've made since the late '80s. If they're just going to get shoved back in a box at the back of the cupboard, then restoration will become a much more attractive option.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to that Alpine as I have the rally version sitting in the stash.

• Like 2

Good for you showing your early modelling efforts.  Personally I would find it too painful to look at my previous builds, and would often just throw them away and start again!

• Like 1

I envy you that you have your old work, good, bad, or indifferent.  I agree with the other's, these a good builds!  

• Like 1

Indeed they are. Even the brushpainting by "young self" wasn't that bad at all! And they survived pretty much intact which is a feat in itself. I can't remember what I built as a kid but I do know they all fell apart quickly and didn't survive the house move we did when I was 16, if any were left before then. 

Please start build threads for your current builds, you'll get over the anxious feeling of the first one 😉 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Spiny said:

Trust me, those early builds in the first post are very good for a teenage build - if you want to see what a poor build at a similar age is, the links in my signature to the Dodge Charger and Lancia Stratos will show that I hadn't even progressed to painting, let alone worrying about the finish so you definitely shouldn't be embarassed.

It's nice to see how you moved on since you started building - but for me the answer to the question of whether to restore them comes down to what you'll do with them in their current state. If you're going to display them as they are, then it is definitely worth keeping them as they are as it will remind you of the progress you've made since the late '80s. If they're just going to get shoved back in a box at the back of the cupboard, then restoration will become a much more attractive option.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to that Alpine as I have the rally version sitting in the stash.

Thanks.  The very first model kit I ever assembled was the same 1982 Dodge Charger by Monogram, it was a present on my 10th or 11th birthday.  Long since consigned to the bin, but I had fun messing around with it.

I'm not sure what to do with all my models; over the years I've picked up a large number of diecast models as well as kits and only a limited amount of display space (two small cabinets from Lidl at the moment but plans to get something larger).  But even though the old models will probably get carefully boxed up and put back in storage it's nice to have them as a reminder of where it started (memories of trying not to get paint/glue on the dining table, having to clear up so lunch/dinner could be served, radio 4 playing in the background).

• Like 2

I built one of those Wildcats a million years ago. Never did build a Merc SL but I remember eyeing it up.

You pose the same question as I raised in my thread of what to do with old completed models which might not be up to our current standards. I've made headway into my stock of old Tamiya Minis and a number are in the process of being breakers for diorama parts stock. Some old kits might get restored but most will get dismantled or offered for sale on the cheap for someone else to do what they want, either as parts donors or for rebuilds. I've come to the conclusion that I can't keep everything and there's no real benefit in doing so.  

As for what you want to do, I could make some assumptions on particular models based on your comments above but choose the ones that you want to keep and process the rest as you wish. I've recently cut up a Tamiya Mini that I built 30 years ago and to be honest the resulting salvaged parts look far better than the completed kit ever did. Salvaging a pair of doors for example, trimming the inner structures and drilling holes where the external hinges would have attached before painting the panels in period colours has been satisfying in itself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Thanks.  The very first model kit I ever assembled was the same 1982 Dodge Charger by Monogram, it was a present on my 10th or 11th birthday.  Long since consigned to the bin, but I had fun messing around with it.

I'm not sure what to do with all my models; over the years I've picked up a large number of diecast models as well as kits and only a limited amount of display space (two small cabinets from Lidl at the moment but plans to get something larger).  But even though the old models will probably get carefully boxed up and put back in storage it's nice to have them as a reminder of where it started (memories of trying not to get paint/glue on the dining table, having to clear up so lunch/dinner could be served, radio 4 playing in the background).

My first model was Tamiyas Audi Quattro rally car  , built when I was 14 , in my shared bedroom and being constantly told off for stinking the room out with glue and paint smells ! It was then displayed on a shelf, uncovered getting covered in dust and fluff . I have it in my display cabinet still to this day . It’s on the top shelf , just out of shot . 
 Gary . 

49887466856_7d5e11cc7c_c_d.jpg

• Like 1

I found another of my teenage efforts whilst going through my loft; a Tamiya Lotus Super 7.

y4mPrvuMs_WEvW1-xrQZNQHiT_t5xdcR5p4rMCze

Some bits have fallen off due to age and I didn't manage to get the bonnet to fit properly but I'm still fairly pleased with it.  Paint was Humbrol enamel from a spray can.  Really thick but at least it covered well.

y4muGxxf6TRDlvcsRRdNwlU-VKJipxT2RfcgD6SD

Made a right mess of the carburettors, which didn't fit under the bonnet properly and I think the air intakes were lost to the carpet monster.

y4mCqD-5T-2P-3KymxTTFdmvhK2RFNPqEv510kD_

Just blob on some silver paint for the gauges (I probably messed up the decals).

y4mHz9TKt70ymj2DStzAB63rJGegzqNKJFS7Bpli

Decals were definitely a challenge (see the numberplate), as was masking.  As I recall, the aeroscreens were supplied as an alternative to the full-height windscreen.  I fitted them after I made a complete mess of the windscreen (quite pleased that I managed to paint the frames without getting anything on the glass).

Thanks to you all for joining me on this trip down memory lane.

• Like 2

I decided to clean up the Lotus Super 7 and as a result lots of bits fell off.

y4mEpPj2udN6WHVPTaHxE67pnAZVSgQ8UdmXoXjQ

The tail lamps fell off as well, which was quite handy as I wanted to add chrome surrounds which I'd failed to do 30 years ago.

y4mH0CAwGFYyRTKN5YRfoqWr78YEuMAU7GGumnrc

Aero-screen, tonneau cover, number plate and tail lights glued back in place.

y4msZTRa3CxFO8nl-_fTqdfVa1q5nGak6IadmzqZ

I used a Molotow liquid chrome pen (bought because of the number of times I've heard it referenced on here) 

y4mKNudn3GGsuH58nWNOZIYTzgT01hYEiMLOJhog

I'm not about to attempt a full restoration although I don't think it would take much to reduce the Lotus to it's component parts.  One day I may try and find another unbuilt Lotus kit.

• Like 2

I was annoyed that the Mini wasn't quite finished, there were a few tiny details to add (bumpers, bonnet badge, boot handle and fuel caps).  So I finally got round to adding these pieces and giving it a proper photo shoot.  It's far from perfect but I'm still pleased with it.

y4m7tyub_ljN3b5x_5L2MFFWGrgdDrvxIMOFU-mu

y4mLJDsyFREOAx2MPYv6XPPKl808-Br49E9tv390

y4mGwl1Em2w_ClCBbp6oXpWvB4GoojYo_K9CfHG6

This bit is frustrating, not getting the seat back in line with the body shell.

y4m7usApEuB-vtZZuFEVWUoe0S5G1cw--nV8ZPrQ

y4m2INYM9CILOfo6UFTlHjTYUtD-aRnMvYm9F_d9

y4mhr2GF0YSjJhaix7aCB4FDSNPuanH9PtCE-QcR

Pity about the mould seams on the tyres...

y4mcWg8owOs6aMLqsfalL0N5n666ZfyJXGcDFUUa

• Like 4

Even if you're not perfectly happy with it, it still represents a bit of your model building history and is worth a place in the display. It's always a nice feeling completing a model, not to mention when you resurrect one which had been dormant for a long while.

• Thanks 1

AWESOME builds from your youthful days.

:yahoo:

I would not change them or remove bits or re fix them, as you would lose that "teenage build" look.  :wicked:

That's your modeling history..  :clap:

Anyway the changes made and completing  bits and bobs  has enhanced your workmanship  even more.

:goodjob:

AMAZING models from your youth.

thank you for sharing.

:mike:

• Thanks 1