Discontinued Humbrol 151 equivalent

AltcarBoB

I am building the AZUR 1/72 Potez 630 and the instructions (and kit) are about 20 years old. One of the colour schemes is aluminium undersides with Humbrol 151 top sides, this is a discontinued colour and as far as I can tell is a greenish khaki.

Can anyone give me an equivalent in acrylic colour Humbrol, Tamiya, Revell or Vallejo Air preferred as I can get these easily.

2 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

If I am correct it is replaced by Humbrol 226 interior green as Humbrol 151 is interior green...

Hope it helps!

cheers, Jan

Humbrol deleted 151 and 158, leaving us with just 226, but they are not the same colors. It all depends on how accurate the kit call outs are.

Is it this one, on the box art?

112460-11185-pristine.jpg

If so, the upper colour That is Armee de l'Air Khaki (Kaki) which I don;t know if anyone makes, but is called out with the following close equivalents on Cybermodeller

ANA 613
FS 33070

You can mix your own Interior Green by adding a bit of black to yellow. Just adjust the proportions until it looks right to your eye or matches the box art.

If you want to match Kaki, here's a mix from the old Humbrol Colour System Manual:

25 parts Humbrol No. 9

16 parts Humbrol No. 3

6 parts humbrol No. 60

3 parts Humbrol No. 34

When dry, overcoat with Humbrol No. 49

Prewar Kaki is available from Colourcoats, and no doubt others even less available in the UK.  Postwar Kaki is also described as Dark Olive Drab.  A quick look suggests this would be satisfactory for the prewar colour to: or at least as satisfactory as with mixes until it looks like the box art.   Dark Olive Drab is available in a wide number of paint ranges.

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

If so, the upper colour That is Armee de l'Air Khaki (Kaki) which I don;t know if anyone makes, but is called out with the following close equivalents on Cybermodeller

ANA 613
FS 33070

Yes thats the kit though the colour on my box looks a bit darker.

Thanks for your help guys, I have ordered a bottle of US Olive Drab Ammo by MIG paint 0237 for no particular reason other than I have never tried the AMMO paint before and I was interested to try it out.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, Work In Progress said:

ANA 613
FS 33070

ANA 613 is wartime olive drab and NOT interior green, the FS equivalent of which is 34151.  Note that the 4 in 34151 indicates a basic green color.  The second 3 in 33070 indicates a basic yellow color. 

Later,

Dave

It's irrelevant to painting the outside of a Potez 630 whether or not anything is a good match for US interior green. The question is whether or not it's a decent match to Armee de l'Air Kaki

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2