Interior colour of a Grumman F6F Hellcat please?

Neil.C

As above I am building an F6F and haven't a clue of the interior colour scheme of US Navy fighters at the time.

No help from the instructions I'm afraid.

Thanks in anticipation.

Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat

Cockpit (First 100 aircraft) back to armour bulkhead behind seat – Bronze Green #9 (ACUS30)

Cockpit (rest of production) back to armour bulkhead behind seat – Interior Green ANA611  (ACUS09)

Engine Cowling, Fuselage Interior behind cockpit – Light Gray (ACUS01)

Wheel Bays ahead of rear spar – Interior Green ANA611 (ACUS09) with exterior colour overspray

Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat

Cockpit – Interior Green ANA611 (ACUS09)

Later aircraft with BuNo’s higher than around 80000 interior above consoles – Black (C02)

Rear Fuselage with rear windows – Light Gray (ACUS01)

Rear fuselage without rear windows – Usually Zinc Chromate Yellow (ACUS23)

Fuselage Interior (very late build numbers over 94000) – Interior Green ANA611 (ACUS09)

Inside of engine cowling – Possibly light gray (ACUS01) interior green ANA611 (ACUS09) or Zine Chromate Yellow (ACUS23)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

• 1 year later...

I posted this in my Hellcat GB thread, but thought it might get more attention here.

What are your thoughts on the cowling interior, light gray, interior green, or ZCY?

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hellcat/VBF87/pages/Grumman-F6F-5-Hellcat-VBF-87-White-76-named-10,000th-Hellcat-CV-14-USS-Ticonderoga-June-1945-03.html

This is BuNo 78854

Also, the above photo clearly shows a dark propeller hub, while all the others (hit Previous and Next) show a white hub? 

50 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Also, the above photo clearly shows a dark propeller hub, while all the others (hit Previous and Next) show a white hub? 

Wings spread and no tie downs tells me it’s shore based. Could be a photo at the factory before the recognition markings were added when it got to the Tico. 

just a thought. 

Tim

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greenshirt said:

Wings spread and no tie downs tells me it’s shore based. Could be a photo at the factory before the recognition markings were added when it got to the Tico. 

just a thought. 

Tim

I'll buy that.

Any thoughts on the cowling interior? I'm leaning to interior green but 

• Like 1

@Greenshirt, looks like you correctly identified that photo. :clap2:

I found some more images in my collection of 78854, all clearly ashore (Hawaii, perhaps?), all with the dark hub and with some transit markings.

• Like 1

The "centre" pic does not yet have "76" on the cowling, so likely was taken pre-delivery and before application of all squadron ID markings including the prop hub - this means that the 2 June date for the "first" (with the big placard on the side) probably is incorrect.

The cowling interior is a tough call - my hunch would be interior green too, but in such a confined space with little light even a relatively light colour may well appear dark.

• Thanks 1