Gloster Javelin FAW9

So... blitzbuilding then. Am going to try and cobble together this beast

49925293013_4da84d7b6e_b.jpg

Starting at 11:43 on Sat the 23rd fuelled with a coffee and a stroopwaffle for sustenance

Am planning on a couple of very minor mods along the way as far as time will allow

• Like 4

Frog / Novo Javelin oh yes ! :yahoo:

Whoops can you you tell I am rather keen on Frog kits !

I hope you have / can get some other decals as the Novo ones are allergic to water, in fact I think any liquid at all :weep:

Good luck with this one.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Teeniest tiniest bit of flash here and there (ok, maybe they didn’t quite shut the mould fully when making this one)

49925613163_a56fbb0a99_b.jpg

Anyway, I push on regardless

After a couple of hours I’ve added a bit of length to the nose, reshaped it a bit and added a camera window and data probe from spares, glued some big chunks together and made a start on cleaning off lumps, bumps and protuberances from the leading edges.

49925613198_27dd11ae05_b.jpg

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I hope you have / can get some other decals as the Novo ones are allergic to water, in fact I think any liquid at all 

Hopefully I’ll have enough in the spares pile to be able to do XH897 as she is today resplendent in red and white. “Thankfully” her repaints over the years have meant losing most of the markings I can’t reproduce easily

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 5

Going by the amount of flash, that's verging on a Vacform kit, I don't believe this one is a Novo kit, I believe you are in fact the proud owner of a Donetsk Toy Factory kit, in a Novo box.

I have a Donetsk Toy Factory (Frog) Lancaster and it looks the same colour of almost translucent white plastic with acres of flash between the bits.

Please forgive the dreadful timing but is this kit a tailsitter ? I can't remember but it might be worth checking now so you can hide some weight in the front, before going much further.

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Top stuff - watching with interest.

The amount of flash matches my build of an Javelin in the Frog GB last year.

I can't remember adding nose weight to my model, but did lengthen it slightly.   I can't check as it's locked in at Jet Age for the duration.

Wishing you the best for a successful Blitzbuild.

• Thanks 1

Nose is a smidge longer now but I think it will be a tailsitter and it is too far down the line to change now. Ah well

In the spirit of the Festive blitzbuild it is time for a break of  a tea and yesterday’s sourdough rye bread, Lancashire cheese and some piccalilli

49926592917_bc56f81e96_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

the canopy looks a bit approximate though. :(

It looks a bit better in the flesh, the thickness and bubbles made not doing any cockpit detailing an easy call :)

So... where did we get to yesterday. After 6 hours or so I started throwing some paint at it so I’d have some kind of cured starting point for today and we have

49929343037_e98fea78d8_b.jpg

I’ll probably make a start again about lunchtime. Whether I get it done will depend on whether I can get decent opacity from the white and have that cured enough to add the decals so 🤞

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Beggsy said:

Looks tasty!

It was. So much so that dinner was pretty much a cheeseboard with the piccalilli, some fig chutney and more bread

44 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

And I like your choice of food 😋

Breakfast is looking very like it’ll be porridge with golden syrup, crunchy peanut butter and raisins stirred in. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

I think putting the white on first would have been the go

It’s a fair point and the decision was a close call but came down to that I’d rather touch up white bleed under masking on red than vice-versa

36 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

porridge with golden syrup, crunchy peanut butter and raisins stirred in. 

Damn, that sounds good. I reckon my yoghurt, cinnamon & honey might be marginally healthier but yours wins hands down in the fun stakes. :D I'll have to try it. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

A new day and a new start. Doing my bit to boost not just the cheese but also the masking tape industry

49929851497_b8dce54359_b.jpg

I promise that under that wrapping there is still an approximation of a Javelin lurking

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks like an Italian display plane!

Strip away the green and with the geometric red/white I think there is something of the circus tent about it 

49930348251_61119768aa_b.jpg

It certainly shares much the same aerodynamic finesse as a circus tent so the resemblance is maybe not entirely coincidental

p.s. apologies for the irregular updates and less than blitz speed. Real life is meaning this isn’t one continuous build 

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 8

righty-ho... after some other stuff and a bit of dinner (fried eggs on harissa flatbreads) it is probably time to start back on this. Will try and get a few pictures as I go but time is a pressin' so I'll focus more on getting it done that posting updates through this evening

• Like 1

You are going to need sunglasses to look at that when you put a coat or varnish on it.

Looks terrific but a very challenging paint scheme for a blitzbuild  !

Cheers Pat

48 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

very challenging paint scheme

Yeah, in hindsight it was much the wrong kit. Flash, brittle plastic and the needing to fettle umpteen bits and pieces is really playing havoc with both the building pace and mojo

Here is it as it stands right now.

49931757482_fc48506d8d_b.jpg

Some paint touch-ups, clean up wheels, paint them and the bay doors, fit the wheels and doors, do decals and clear coat. Nope, not going to get that list done tonight so I’m going to go and tidy the kitchen, lock up the shed and call this one an honourable blitz GB attempt but fail

Will finish her off properly taking my time over it

• Like 3

Stop the bus @LostCosmonauts you still have tomorrow, the GB ends tomorrow night !

No let's not be having any of this defeatist talk please, you are nearly finished , one last push as I said to Mrs Jockney when she was delivering the twins...... I never saw the punch coming but I blooming felt it !

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1