Matchbox A-10

Paul821

After a popular vote - well who can resist requests by  such esteemed BM'ers such as @JOCKNEY and @Enzo Matrix the A-10 will be the victim of this blitzbuild.

Not sure of start time yet but there is a back-story to why this kit stayed in my stash.

In June 1977 I set myself the challenge of walking across the North York's Moors - not by the more usual west-east route but north to south from Whitby to Pickering. Staying in Youth Hostels along the way it was only a two day walk. I think it was on the first day that I was at the top of hill looking for viewpoints to get my bearings when an A-10 came over my head at what felt like extremely low level. It is always those chance encounters with aircraft that remain in my memory rather than having seen them at air shows.

This will be an OOB build 

• Like 5

Great stuff Paul

I hope you took your phrasebook to Yorkshire with you for your trek I don't think any of the locals speak Essex !

Look forward to seeing you bring this one to life.

I had a simular experience years ago when repairing an 11,000 volt overhead line fault, up the top of a pole and ended up looking down into the cockpit of a C130 Hercules flying just above the water between ourselves and the Isle of Lismore, the flight deck was crammed with people waving back !

You are better than me, I still haven't got round to building a Hercules 

Good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Somewhat late to the starting line with this build - 2 hour power cut, during the gales, yesterday did not help.

Here it is:

DSC04119

all £2.95 of it! at least that's what the price labels says.

No flash at all, and this is what Matchbox think the final result will look like. As far as possible I will be following Matchbox's paint schedule with Humbrol paints this is all old stock as my paint of choice is currently Mig-Ammo as seem by the pale grey.

DSC04120

My clock will be a Playlist on my PC

DSC04121

So off I set

DSC04122

Just over one hour later

DSC04124

The workbench looks like this

DSC04123

• Like 3

I had this kit down as a "possible" for the "Kit You Built as a Kid" GB, but I'll be very interested to see how your build goes first.

And the only thing I'd change in that playlist is to replace the Byrd's version of Mr. Tambourine Man with the Bob Dylan original ...

Wow, the A10, a pencil with a couple of coke cans stuck to it.

I saw one at Geneseo Airshow in the 90s. It came unannounced low over the crowd - the kind of aircraft that if you are the enemy you never hear !

Good luck with the build

Sorry this one will not make the deadline

Although practically at a Matchbox 3 colour completion

DSC04126

I  would rather spend a little more time in it than  just add the decals,

A couple of long hot days and a very large garden that needs constant attention did not help .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Paul

I'm sorry to hear the A-10 won't be joining the gallery, however please finish it, and keep us up to date. It's been great to see a 3 colour Matchbox kit being built, such a blast from the past.

I completely agree the kit is worthy of being finished to the highest standard rather than rushed.

Cheers Pat