1/144 Gee Bee R2

emily

Some painting complete. There's not much to the interior - and very little that would be visible once that miniscule canopy is in place. Can you find it?

This was taken shortly after a skirmish with the carpet monster.

spacer.png

Morning tea for scale.

spacer.png

Edited by emily
  • Like 5

An opportunity to play with macro mode on the camera! The engine was painted dark grey, given a black wash and then dry brushed. Thanks to Beggsy for the suggestion!

spacer.png

Then more assembly and lunch for scale. A guest appearance by a Gnat.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Disaster struck just before lunch! I forgot to dab the excess Tamiya Extra thin off the brush and it flooded the rudder and right horizontal stabiliser. The stab then stuck to the box and was covered in paper.

A new one was fabricated from .020 styrene sheet. Cutting mat scale for scale?

spacer.png

Ready for putty and paint! Not pictured - repeatedly sanding, rescribing and reattaching that RH stab...

spacer.png

• Like 11

Masked and painted!

spacer.png

Unmasked.... not pictured is both of the landing gears coming off as I tried to remove tape. This was a recurring theme.

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Thanks for all the comments :)

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

Good save with the stabiliser, isn't it typical when you're against the clock! 

Oh they both gave me trouble all night. The left one had to be super glued back on twice more. Same for the left landing gear. Then right at the end the clear red for the right nav light flooded the wing tip. A little thinner and some white that luckily brushed on just right was able to save that one.

13 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great save. 

If you like 1/144 models you should check out some of @nimrod54 builds. 

Will do, thank you!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Time to sleep, good luck and have fun with all of your builds :D

Edited by emily
  • Like 11

Thanks all! The gallery post is up now.

16 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Fabulous build Emily, and one that would give the 'Flying Flea' I have started a good run for its money in terms of size. Really well done.

49764191026_b4749bf0f2_w.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Wow that's tiny! And a fascinating aircraft I hadn't heard of.

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Goodness me if you hadnt seen it being built you would think it was 1/72 scale on a huge cutting mat ! Congratulations 

cheers Pat 

If only it was, and the coffee & muffin were huge. I could do with them today after that late night.

Emily

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 24/05/2020 at 21:57, Tim R-T-C said:

Lovely build. The rigging is very well done, what did you use?

I drilled holes in the fuse/wing/gear before assembly. Then easyline and super glue. It was my first time using easyline and it definitely lived up to the name. *lots* of stretch, very little force and sticks really well with superglue.

It was a well moulded kit, everything but the horizontal tail had locating features. I only needed a tiny bit of filler at the aft wing root join. There was a little bit of a step between the fuselage halves at the rudder but my extra thin spill melted that away.