Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29

In 1988, the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 was still little known to the West.   Monogram released its 1/48 kit of the type based on information that was available at the time.    I recall comments that the size was off a bit, and of course, many details were just speculation I suppose.    I’ve been a denizen of scale modeling message boards for many years and I don’t recall ever seeing one built and presented.   Probably lot’s of good reasons for that. 😉   All it’s faults and shortcomings had prevented me taking pics of the model until the Wednesday trip to the airport.  She accompanied other photovirgins  for their day in the sun, in front of my camera.

I had not been out there in three years and it took a while to get my mojo working (shout out to Muddy Waters there! 😎).  The sun was really bright and glare in the viewfinder was a big issue.  I prefer slightly overcast days out there but once committed, I was hell bent on getting some good pics.   The model, so much larger than her two companions, the Howard Ike and the Komet, was hard to position.   I did get a lot of photos and would have taken more to choose from but when turning the model for a new perspective, the SB main landing gear collapsed and also dislodged a missile pylon and part of the front gear too.   Arrrgh.  😬   Well, that tore it; I packed up and came home where the MiG-29 was immediately restored.    Can’t have her laying over that way!  

This model was built during that so productive period for me of the early 1990s to early 2000s.   I wish I had documented start and completion dates for all those old builds but now I can just guess at the dates.    My knowledge of weathering was pretty sketchy in those days but I did add some details.   Actuator arms for the rear brakes between the engines and a drag chute cover were scratched out as well as a couple small scoops.  I added some “imagineering” to the cockpit rear deck and few details inside.   I also added a few antennae bits and pieces.  And oh yeah, I detached the horizontal stabilizers and reattached them with pins that allow them to pivot up and down.

I have no idea what colours I used, other than MM flat gull gray.   Again, no build notes from those bygone days…😪

We are accustomed to having models that are usually quite accurate and then strive to make them more so.  Here’s a look at what was available (to most of us) back in 1988 if you wanted a MiG-29 in 1/48 scale.   I still think they are really beautiful aircraft, whether modeled or the actual plane, and regardless of accuracy issues, I like having mine in the display.  So, here she is with all her warts and faults, trying to be photogenic at our little airport! 

Thanks for your interest and please feel free to comment!

ar0ggVH.jpg

uFA9aek.jpg

RLcQlhn.jpg

9MgPgYz.jpg

oue6xxL.jpg

lPdSdtq.jpg

FvpLEyD.jpg

tYUOoSA.jpg

STKPT2y.jpg

9gdtGCn.jpg

j6uvX7U.jpg

aTBeX0O.jpg

rSG9l3S.jpg

yBaPujj.jpg

ILc5ntR.jpg

tAhwAq8.jpg

hWIFgDm.jpg

alYjSlZ.jpg

NHtwaUm.jpg

LZU2wwU.jpg

V7hi0pq.jpg

AI9c7cX.jpg

vMHDSIC.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 21

Always a joy to see your pictures, such a great location.

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

We are accustomed to having models that are usually quite accurate and then strive to make them more so.  Here’s a look at what was available (to most of us) back in 1988 if you wanted a MiG-29 in 1/48 scale.   I still think they are really beautiful aircraft, whether modeled or the actual plane, and regardless of accuracy issues, I like having mine in the display.  So, here she is with all her warts and faults, trying to be photogenic at our little airport! 

Considering the only thing they had to go on was the photos from that surprise visit of MiG-29's to Finland in 1986, I think they did a pretty okay job!

• Like 2

Ah Gary!!!!!  This kit brings back many fond memories for me.  Your usual high standard is evident only to be complimented by a great backdrop in the pictures.  I like it!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I'm no MiG-29 expert, and it looks great to me. Lovely photographs despite the (glorious) sun.

Thanks!   I thought some of the pics turned out well.  It was just too bright really; a slightly overcast day seems to produce nicer images.   Much appreciated Alpha-Delta! 😀

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Always a joy to see your pictures, such a great location.

Considering the only thing they had to go on was the photos from that surprise visit of MiG-29's to Finland in 1986, I think they did a pretty okay job!

That's kind of you to say!   Many thanks alt-92.  😀 Yes, I do feel lucky to have a place like the airport where I can photograph the models in a somewhat natural surrounding.   And of course, the great natural light usually helps a lot.   And I've always sort of thought as you did about the model's design; under the circumstances, Monogram did an okay job.

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

Ah Gary!!!!!  This kit brings back many fond memories for me.  Your usual high standard is evident only to be complimented by a great backdrop in the pictures.  I like it!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip down memory lane!   Thanks for your wonderful comments Mike!  🍺

• Thanks 1

Very nice result!

Of course there are better Fulcrum modeld out there today, but also not that many!

Yours looks great, even more so considering her age!

One thing:

Akways take superglue out to photo sessions.... 

:thumbsup:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice result!

Of course there are better Fulcrum modeld out there today, but also not that many!

Yours looks great, even more so considering her age!

One thing:

Akways take superglue out to photo sessions.... 

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the very nice comments! 🍻  I remember being quite proud of the result when she was first finished, so many years ago.   Of course, that was pre-internet and life was more simple then, right? 😉   But it is nice to have it in the display, along with the other jets that passed for "modern" back then.   Lol, I think the most recent design in that group might be the Mirage 2000 and that's now "long in the tooth" too isn't it?

And that is a good suggestion regarding the superglue.   In fact, I used to include some, along with tweezers and tape, when I went to the airport.   The damage that the MiG suffered was too extensive for field repair though.  She had to go "up on the rack" and on her back to get her sitting on three points again.   The repair work turned out okay and most folks wouldn't notice it now.   Maybe a little CA smear...😉 😃

I think Monogram did OK considering it was 'Top Secret' when they did a kit of it all those years ago and the Cold War was still on. Nice model mate and it still looks every inch a MIG 29 to me!

Gary 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, redcap said:

I think Monogram did OK considering it was 'Top Secret' when they did a kit of it all those years ago and the Cold War was still on. Nice model mate and it still looks every inch a MIG 29 to me!

Gary 

Thanks from one Gary to another!   Ta! 🍺 I appreciate the comments a lot.   And too right as well, as I think Monogram did do alright with the Fulcrum.  About the best they could at that time I suspect.  

It's still a pretty aircraft in model form or real life.    One of my favorite MiGs of all!! 😀

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Thanks for the very nice comments! 🍻  I remember being quite proud of the result when she was first finished, so many years ago.   Of course, that was pre-internet and life was more simple then, right? 😉   But it is nice to have it in the display, along with the other jets that passed for "modern" back then.   Lol, I think the most recent design in that group might be the Mirage 2000 and that's now "long in the tooth" too isn't it?

And that is a good suggestion regarding the superglue.   In fact, I used to include some, along with tweezers and tape, when I went to the airport.   The damage that the MiG suffered was too extensive for field repair though.  She had to go "up on the rack" and on her back to get her sitting on three points again.   The repair work turned out okay and most folks wouldn't notice it now.   Maybe a little CA smear...😉 😃

Pre-internet... :D

great it is back on its feet, and fine it did not have a final first flight ;)

regarding long in the tooth, pretty all from that timeframe is a bit outdated if not seriously upgraded by now!

but the MiG-29 and the M2000 are still very much un the forefront of several nations...

Egypt and India still has both on frontline by the way, in more or less heavily upgraded form!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Pre-internet... :D

great it is back on its feet, and fine it did not have a final first flight ;)

regarding long in the tooth, pretty all from that timeframe is a bit outdated if not seriously upgraded by now!

but the MiG-29 and the M2000 are still very much un the forefront of several nations...

Egypt and India still has both on frontline by the way, in more or less heavily upgraded form!

😀  Thanks my friend!    Yeah, the repair team got lucky this time.  Testament to the robust nature of the MiG!  😉

You are right about those two of course.   Lol, "modern" to me anyway, as long meant anything built after the '60s I guess.   Just showing my age now, as I'm a late 1952 model myself!  😁

• Haha 1

I remember that kit. I had one when I was kid, grade 2 or 3. My dad and I built it and the Monogram F-18 one night for a school project I was doing. The next day I did my best impression of trying to teach my class about dogfighting 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, whiskey said:

I remember that kit. I had one when I was kid, grade 2 or 3. My dad and I built it and the Monogram F-18 one night for a school project I was doing. The next day I did my best impression of trying to teach my class about dogfighting 😂😂😂

Thanks for the comments whiskey!  🥃  Neat story there. 👍

• Like 1