1:12 Scale F-16 Cockpit - Italeri

Gday to my Britmodellers mates,

This is my 1:12 scale Italeri F-16 Cockpit build. This model was very enjoyable for so many reasons - extreme detail, a lot of painting with a pin/toothpick and much need for online reference, but one really cool thing about making these models is that they invoke very lucid memories of my days as a young lad. Building this reminded me of the first time I brought this kit over 30 years ago and the fine details of those few days came rushing back. So before I go to the RFI, I just wanted to share this story - a very normal story which became somewhat of a redemption.... In advance I apologise for the big yarn !!

Back when I was around 13/14, with a room of models wall to wall, I received a decent bounty of cash for my birthday, as I recall around $100. That birthday my Brother took me to the city (Perth, Western Australia) to spend my money. The rare and epic trek to the city mainly involved us visiting our favorite record store Da Das, but just down the road was the legendary ABC Models - a mecca for model makers- a place that seemed to stock every model kit on the face of the earth.... I brought this kit and a 1:72 scale F-16 Thunderbird display (with 4 Thunderbirds on it !). Totaling to around $80, my Brother reminded me not to blow my cash so I settled there and ended up buying a Cold Chisel T-Shirt (Cold Chisel are Aussie legends) and Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet LP - overall, a great haul for $100.....

So I get home and start on the cockpit... in hindsight I should have done the Thunderbirds first as I was so exited to do that kit. As it turned out I rushed this kit and it turned out very ordinary, almost like I was painting a 1:144 scale cockpit.... I didn't read the instructions well, didn't use all the parts/decals and even glued the belts on (they're actually adhesives). So this rare kit that should have been at the front of my model display, ended up top shelf, back corner (aka shelf of doom/shame)...

When I found this online, I grabbed it and as I was building it, I felt a great feeling of redemption. Back when I was a boy, it took me 2 nights to make this, now it took me 2 nights just to make the radar display !!

WIP is here:

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

JJ

Edited by JJ2016
  • Like 5

Brilliant job, very sharp and precise build of a rarely seen kit. 

I can completely relate to the backstory, just had a similar experience while taking part in the Kits You Built as a Kid groupbuild. The powerful feelings of nostalgia really take you back to that era. 

• Like 1

I have a similar tale of buying one of these around 13-14, like you I rushed it a bit, but was still happy with it.  I have one in my stash now and had planned on building it as a retirement present for one of my bosses who flew F-16s in the Colorado Air National Guard, but COVID hit and he ended up retiring without much fanfare.  One of these days I'll get to it.  Such a fun kit and a nice break from aircraft models, while still being an aircraft model.  

• Like 1

That is beautifully done! If I recall correctly, there was also an F-104G cockpit by the same company in the same scale. I can think of several other cockpits that I believe would have been popular: F-4, F-105, Hawker Hunter, EE Lightning and more.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 1:23 PM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Incredible model and great story. I didn't even know these kits existed!

Cheers mate, this is a reboxing of an mid eighties edition - also has the Starfighter kit

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 1:25 PM, Abandoned Project said:

That is absolutely amazing!

Cheers mate

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 1:37 PM, Alan P said:

Brilliant job, very sharp and precise build of a rarely seen kit.

Cheers Alan

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:04 PM, aeroplanedriver said:

I have a similar tale of buying one of these around 13

Cheers mate, hope you get to building it for your old boss, he would be chuffed with this but as a formed pilot he would probably look at this kit and provide feedback of corrections required !!

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:27 PM, F-4Guy said:

Fantastic! Both in terms of modeling and memory recalling, as I had my own share of it too when I saw this.

Cheers mate

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:50 PM, Sky Keg said:

Excellent!!!!!! :clap2:

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:53 PM, SAT69 said:

That is beautifully done! If I recall correctly, there was also an F-104G cockpit

Cheers mate, if you check my WIP, Werner has linked his build of the F-104, looks really cool !

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:55 AM, Phone Phixer said:

Beautiful work.

Cheers mate

Hi JJ...

What a great story! And what an amazing and unusual build! Didn’t even know this existed...anywhere. What a great kit. And the WIP page is extremely educational...a master class, for sure! Thank you for sharing this! Wowowow! :clap2:

Paul

• Like 1

Fantastic job.  I too remember when this kit came out in the 80s - I remember a Francois Verlinden build in one of his books.

Whilst I hope Italeri re-release it, I would like it even more if someone where to do a version using modern techniques.  Are there any aftermarket detailing sets for the original kit?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Great work. 
Italeri have just re-released the F-104 cockpit

Cheers mate, I may just invest in that for a future project, this one was so enjoyable !!

21 hours ago, Aces High said:

Wow! Very

Cheers mate, also I have an Iron Maiden Spit on the way, up to painting, keep an eye out, I'll show my Maiden collection when I post the RFI !!

17 hours ago, Nev said:

Fantastic job

Gday Nev, Cheers, I did look for some more aftermarket stuff however couldn't find anything. Because of the scale, it would be quite easy to scratch the extra components, I found F-16 cockpit references to be in abundance and for further reference, it appears most folk in the US know a F-16 pilot ! There was also a stage there I was considering putting a pilot in there but that would have cost twice the price of the kit !!