Academy Me 163 Komet - *** FINISHED ***

Johnson

I remember seeing this plane in the Science Museum in London as a kid and always wanted to build the model.

This has been in the stash for as long as I can remember, so now's the time.

Dscf2218

Dscf2379

I see I got the AM etched stuff which may complicate things, I'll use the seat belts if nothing else.

Cheers.

• Like 10

Dscf2381

This is actually a bit earlier then I'd intended, but it's light, I'm awake* so might as well. I hope you noticed the clock? No cheating possible, it's Radio Controlled and linked to an Atomic Clock somewhere, totally accurate!

Anyway, first cuts. Nice plastic, not too hard or soft. And look at that lovely little control column, which you probably can see. Its great!

* I think the being awake is linked to the ill-advised late night dram of Talisker whisky.

Cheers!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Breakfast!

Dscf2386

Muesli, the healthy option. The only healthy thing about this plane, especially for those who tried to fly it. Eggs later :wicked:

Got to get on with the cockpit and get this closed up.

The clock, which didn't come out too well, says 8.57

Edited by Johnson
Time!
  • Like 6

Going OK so far. I used the Eduard instrument panel but its hard to see and really not much better. But the seat belts make a difference. Closed up the fuselage only to spot the fuel tank lying on the bench :banghead:so opened up again, seam not as good as it was! Wings and tail on, the fit is pretty good, not going to need much filler, maybe a bit around the tail and brush in some Mr Surfacer on the wing/fuselage join.

I really shouldn't be looking at this book (German Aircraft Interiors by Kenneth Merrick) with a model this big during a Blitzbuild  :mental: ...

Dscf2392

Dscf2393

Naturally the gunsight got knocked off and eaten by the CM!

Dscf2391

Time for a break, I make that 4h 22m so far.

See you later!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mrs PlaStix said:

Sounds like very healthy lifestyle

And it continues with lunch - cold pizza! (from last night)

55 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I do hope the tractor is also being included in the Blitzbuild :wicked:

Ah, I'm glad you spotted that Pat :rolleyes:. Actually I hope to fit it in while the paint dries later, a penalty of using Xtracolor gloss enamels.

So, onwards...

Dscf2397

Clock says 1.58

• Like 5

Time flies when you're having fun... or filling and priming.

Dscf2405

The parts were a very good fit, just a few little gaps and seams filled and rubbed down. Primed with Mr Surfacer 1200. Time for another break. 2h 27m added.

Edited by Johnson
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Johnson said:

I remember seeing this plane in the Science Museum in London as a kid and always wanted to build the model.

That's the one that made me want to build this kit too.

I was very young at the time and thought that it was the smallest propeller I'd ever seen on a plane.  How could it possibly have been so fast?  :)

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Are they fuel tanks either side of the pilots seat in the photographs? The thought made me shudder.

They are the T-Stoff tanks Tony. A particularly unpleasant oxidiser (combined with the fuel C-Stoff) for the rocket motor. It was corrosive and highly volatile. If the plane had a rough take-off or landing, it was likely to explode. Or, if that didn't happen, the pilot could be dissolved by the leaking T-Stoff.

Late afternoon session. More tea, a Welsh cake (yum) and more filler. Just a tad.

Dscf2407

Should get some proper paint on next.

Edited by Johnson
  • Like 3

First coat of proper paint, Xtracolor RLM 76 Lichtblau. And it doesn't much different. Maybe a bit shinier.

5.28 to 6.18, another 50 minutes. I make that 7h 39m today.

OK, that's it for today.

Dscf2410

But the beverage and snacks have changed! Cheers! :cheers:

See you tomorrow, thanks for all the support!

• Like 3

Early morning session to get the wings painted, not at all exciting...

Dscf2412

tick, tick, tick... and hey presto;

Dscf2413

RLM 83* Dunkelgrun on the wings, RLM 81 Braunviolett on next. The wings were made and painted separately from the fuselage hence the hard line of paint not normally seen on German aircraft.

* an old tin - Hannants got the numbers RLM 82 / 83 mixed up.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Thanks Alan.

3 minutes ago, Alan P said:

your workspace is embarrassingly tidy

It varies, not usually so clutter free, but in a Blitzbuild having to work rapidly I find I can't cope mentally with a build up of tools etc, I get in a terrible tizz!

7 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I can't cope mentally with a build up of tools etc

I just leave ‘em all out. That way I know I’m finished when there’s nowhere to put anything down!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Quick question - how long does your Xtracolour take to dry?

Too long. Well for a Blitzbuild anyway. 3-4 hours minimum. The Me163 is currently on the window ledge baking in the sun, hopefully drying faster and not being damaged.

Obviously the drying time isn't an issue during a normal build. I keep thinking I must try more acrylics but I started with Xtracolor before acrylic became mainstream and find it hard to make the change, apart from clear (matt/satin/gloss) final coats.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I keep thinking I must try more acrylics but I started with Xtracolor before acrylic became mainstream and find it hard to make the change, apart from clear (matt/satin/gloss) final coats.

I still swear by enamels (Colourcoats by Sovereign Hobbies) and have found acrylics never quite match the fine finish and versatility of enamels. For quick drying option I've been using lacquers recently, worth trying. 

• Like 1