Revell 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 - Finished 15.5 hours

Well I’m going with this reissued classic:

6-E11-EA96-B205-452-B-843-E-C19-ED3-F655

9-F2-E6710-240-B-4-DE5-BF19-B80-C261095-
know that it’s terribly inaccurate and not particularly nice to build, but it was less than a fiver on EBay and it has the classic box Art.

I’m going to do this one OOB. Yes. Really!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 11

Hi Adrian

That really is a classic kit, with that unique shade of green plastic from the era, which in this case meant you didn't need to paint it when you were a nipper !

Best of luck

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

I’ve done some preparatory painting, including the back of the transfer sheet behind the name decal (all will be revealed in the next 23 hours!):

CAF8-DF6-A-710-F-45-E1-9-C70-116442386-E

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

That really is a classic kit

It is Pat. The pilot, who incidentally is nicely moulded, well posed and fits in his seat, is my cockpit detail. The engine is very detailed and crisply moulded, and even has induction pipes at the back. 

I know this kit gets a lot of stick for inaccuracy, and even I could see from a casual comparison to a modern plan that the wings are far too tapered, but I’m having fun building it and It won’t look out of place next to my other wildly inaccurate VVS aeroplanes. Classic kits are like classic cars - nobody thinks it’s the best way to get from A to B...

• Like 4

Not glued yet, but this forms a bulkhead. I now understand that the two little bumps on the side were locating pins!

8-BACB96-F-D95-E-4072-91-AE-238151-BB563

...and I should really paint the back of it because you can see it from the wheel well.

• Like 2

I'm having a flashback to getting this one back in, erm, 1978.  I was really impressed by the open engine panels option! Which would explain the engine detail.  Worked out what subtype it's meant to represent yet ;) 

From a newsagent in Newhaven that used to have odd kits (I remember getting what most likely a red stripe Airfix Avenger there (it was an unfamiliar style box) on a SUNDAY in 1976... buying a kit on a Sunday.... I mean, what a treat..

For some reason I never finished my I-16, and the remains are still in a box somewhere....

(my place = warehouse at end of raiders of the lost ark..but I don't think I've got the ark...that said it could be stashed somewhere...) 

• Like 2

Hmm... my vociferous praise for classics has been replaced by a rather grim determination to finish, much like a man driving a classic car from London to Brighton might feel if he notices the water temperature hitting 211F just outside Dorking.

So wassup? Well, nothing really fits:

8-C409-A39-D5-A6-4-A0-E-88-D0-EB95-BD27-

I superglued the back end of the wing and the fillets to the fuselage so that I could bend the leading edge up. If I did that the root would be thinner than the wing. So I’ve popped some transfer backing sheet into the root join with more superglue, and I’ve bent myself up a tad more dihedral whilst I’m about it.

Wings on with Contacta, no point in gluing the inner edge cos it doesn’t touch anything:

49-A2-F0-E1-0762-4282-ACD1-E0498380-C983

New blade, never had it break like that before, normally just the back goes when pushing too hard:

57005-E14-1520-4-E6-A-8-FFF-FD7-C9087185

The engineering for the propeller allows you to put the pin in through the engine and slide the prop on later. Nice. Note the rounded end on the pin to minimise friction and the chance of glue contact:

E10-E69-E7-7431-4713-A1-D0-93-E19531208-

Feeling like the radiator temperature is down to 204F at this point. When we get to Brighton we’ll crack open a bottle of Mouton Rothschild 1965 with a fillet steak...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

So wassup? Well, nothing really fits

Must be a British classic.

You'd better add a pool of oil underneath (I know these things, I have a classic British motorcycle :mental:).

Anyway, as long as you're enjoying yourself... :banghead:

• Haha 2

Big step forward:

D001534-F-03-CA-4253-8-A94-4-B559-F2-E99

That lump of stuff at the bottom of the firewall that looks like the remains of Chernobyl Reactor 4 is a couple of drops of superglue hit by a spray of accelerator while pushing the lower centre section hard up against the firewall. This fixes the alignment problem and the cowling now fits. 

Mrs MF tells me that there is a last slice or orange cake that needs eating. Girl’s a keeper...

• Like 4

You’re going great guns👍🏻

BTW you can never have too much cheese in an omelette. I’m concerned though that if you had a two egg omelette and another egg for a snack, that you may be egg bound?!

Trevor

• Haha 1

The engine compartment is a nice idea, but you realise the real thing must be a rat run of exhaust stacks, wiring and structure. Was tempted to do it up a little but , “OOB”. Last look:

CCBBA15-A-F131-48-CC-9-C4-F-F60-E7567059

The cowlings have a bit of a gap but They weren’t too bad with a bit of trimming. Less fettling required than a new Airfix Blenheim, anyhow:

0-A3306-D2-469-B-4-D68-8-CC5-34-C7-B3-EA

A96-BF967-84-CF-4-E1-E-A4-B2-3-CA3-B7-BE

I’m going to get some exercise in while that dries and then we can start on the green over blue. I also want to see how much dihedral I need so I can button up the wing join.

• Like 5