cool planes at our airport

Gary Brantley

When I took some models out to our municipal airport on Wednesday past, there were several really nice aircraft out there for a change.   There is usually a Beech KingAir B200 out there all the time and on that day, there was another KingAir parked next to her.  It was a C90 I believe.   As I was taking some model pics, a nice, older gentleman drove over from a big, opened hangar.  He said he needed to fuel a couple planes and wondered if that would disturb my plans.  I assured him that he wouldn't and asked if I was okay where I was.  He said all was good and in a few minutes, I looked up from the camera to see him towing an aircraft down to the fuel tanks/pumps.   

After a while, I relocated to use some newer hangars for a background and didn't pay attention to his activities anymore.  As I was leaving though, I saw that there were now two planes pulled from the hangar.  Both looked identical to me except for different livery.   I had to sort of weave my way in my Trooper, between the two Beeches and the other two planes, now also parked side by side.  I wish I had taken the time to photograph those two but I was a bit pressed for time and didn't tarry.

This afternoon, my wife and I drove back out there to get some pics but the hangar was closed.  The two KingAirs were still there and I did get some pics of them.    Wednesday, the thought had occurred to me that on that day, there was whole lot of money sitting out there in the sun!  😉

I thought some of you might enjoy a few shots of three of them anyway.  I have since found out the two identical airplanes were Quest Kodiak 100 models.   I believe that all four of those planes were powered by Pratt & Whitney PT-6 turboprops.

Cheers, and enjoy!

F2t7gBt.jpg

McLhSYV.jpg

cuac5ef.jpg

nuJa6P2.jpg

HN76Y0W.jpg

men3wyO.jpg

SLyKA3Y.jpg

DO5TKMn.jpg

VHj99P0.jpg

0up1zxG.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Pinback said:

Weather looks nice too !

Yes, today was a beautiful day.    Not too warm and lot's of sun...summer is coming though.   Summer in Texas lasts from May through late September/mid-October usually.  Typically, we see many days of 100F*+ during that span.   In 1980, we had over 40 consecutive days over 100and I think 2011 was even hotter.  Some years we do get a break; only a dozen or so days of that heat.  For many newcomers to Texas, their first summer either makes 'em or breaks 'em.   A lot of folks can't handle the heat.

Here's a pic from 2018. 😀 In the shade of our backyard:  

110%20in%20the%20shade%207.23.19%202.42P

16 minutes ago, Pinback said:

Yep, that's a bit hot- you should come and join us here in Oz :) (heading into winter now)

I lived in Geelong, from February 1966 to April 1967, age 13-14.  I attended Belmont High in Geelong.   It was a great experience!  My late Dad worked for ALCOA, and was sent from here to "troubleshoot" at the Pt. Henry smelter near Geelong.   We traveled quite a bit while there, driving to Adelaide and Canberra (separate trips!) in our 1963 Ford Cortina and going with another American ALCOA couple and family to Tasmania, via the MV Princess of Tasmania.  We rented cars and drove all around the island, staying in Hobart and Johnstown, I believe.  Great fun and beautiful scenery there.

I remember a few days of 100* weather that summer in Geelong.    I loved the fish n' chips there and soon after we arrived, the slot car craze hit the area and soon there with half a dozen "slot car parlors" in town, two within 100 meters of home.  Oh the great times I had at the Avus Raceway just round the corner from our house!  I would love to visit the country again, and see the things I recall as an adult!   Thanks for the invite Pinback! 😀

On 5/23/2020 at 10:38 AM, Gary Brantley said:

I lived in Geelong

Hi Gary - Well, the  ALCOA smelter and Ford have  both gone  :( but Geelong is a still great place.:)

As for slot car racing then the annual  Geelong Revival Motoring Festival may pique your interest especially with the quarter mile sprints along the waterfront. You can book now for November but not sure how the COVID will pan out ...... and you need a car!

Look us up if you get over here

spacer.png

• Like 2

Yes, I do recall the Ford plant; it was down near Geelong harbor if I recall correctly after all these years.  And no more "Uncle AL" either, eh?   When we were there in '66-'67, Geelong had a population of approx. 100,000.  How much has it grown since?   My parents bought a new camera soon after we arrived there, and I have many 35mm slides from our time there.   I remember the "shark-proof" swimming enclosure and a beautiful botanical garden down by the bay.   Also, there was a large downtown building with automatons worked by a clock mechanism that came out of the upper building and "rang the hour".   Interesting indeed! 

What is the "vibe" like in Geelong now?  Mild-mannered conservative place or fun-loving liberal attitudes?   At 13 and 14, I had no idea or interest in things like that.   Life revolved around school and my mates, both other American kids there with ALCOA and Aussie friends I made there, and slot cars and girls of course, lol.    It seems like Victoria was a bit more old-fashioned than some of the other states we visited.  I remember the very interesting War Memorial Museum in Canberra and the lovely scenery up past Mt. Kosciusko.  In Hobart, we toured the huge Cadbury's factory and had a great time.  I imagine that's gone now as well.  Oh man, so many great memories of my 14 months in Australia!   

The motoring festival looks like a good time too.   Thanks for the nice pic!  Those rides are a far cry from our little Cortina.   And that little Ford was a big adjustment for us, after having a big old Pontiac sedan in the States, lol.    As was wearing a school uniform, and adapting to the different school system there.   Damn, I'd love to see it again!