Airfix/Bilek Fairey Battle.

Right folk's last one in the cue will be a big favourite of mine I last built way back when it had that superb box art in the early seventies.I know it's

a much disliked kit due to the wrong drawing's being sent to Airfix but I remember building the Belgian version as I loved the decals,I picked up a bagged

Bilek release for a tenner from KK.https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Fairey-Battle.html

• Like 5

Watching with interest, the road I live on is named after a VC winning rear gunner of one of these Sgt Thomas Gray.

Hi Steve,

I have heard the story about the drawings and seem to remember that the tail is wrong - needs twisting off the centreline by a few degrees I believe, but other than that I cannot recall what else is inaccurate?  Can't remember if Airfix moulded the bomb aiming  panel underneath which was covered by a shutter when not in use I think, and the undercarriage is no doubt simplified but it is still a nice looking kit.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Another one that I seem to have missed building somehow Steve.

I wasn't aware of any issues with the kit but then I never really looked into it, I look forward to seeing what you can do with it mate.

The old Airfix Defiant and Battle always had a certain reputation regarding accuracy, or lack thereof. Of course, the Defiant has been re-tooled in recent years. Maybe there's hope yet for a new Battle tooling.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Steve,

I have heard the story about the drawings and seem to remember that the tail is wrong - needs twisting off the centreline by a few degrees I believe, but other than that I cannot recall what else is inaccurate?  Can't remember if Airfix moulded the bomb aiming  panel underneath which was covered by a shutter when not in use I think, and the undercarriage is no doubt simplified but it is still a nice looking kit.

Cheers

Pete

I believe the nose is a few mm short for the scale pete.

• Thanks 1

Morning folk's,last one for me is here,molded in a dark olive green it is actually nicely done.I was happily surprised at the clear part's nice and clear

with good framing.this lot should see out the GB nicely.

20200529_102606

• Like 8

I built the Airfix one of these back in the day, it was huge.

I remember it was a bit like a Hurricane that someone had made supersize !

Good luck with this one

cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I built the Airfix one of these back in the day, it was huge.

I remember it was a bit like a Hurricane that someone had made supersize !

Good luck with this one

cheers Pat 

Funny you should mention that Pat.

As I understand it the Battle came about in response to an Air Ministry spec P.27/32 for a light bomber to replace the Hawker Hind. However a couple of years later they also issued spec P.4/34 for a "light bomber capable of tactical support" and Hawker submitted their Henley which was in effect an enlarged 2 seat Hurricane. For some reason, although the AM ordered the Henley, it was relegated to target towing, and there are a number of people who feel it should instead have replaced the Battle, being considerably faster although just as inadequately armed. Instead Battles were churned out in ridiculous numbers even though they were clearly obsolete, and the poor ruddy crews suffered many losses. One of the excuses I have seen was that it was considered appropriate to keep producing a plane of limited value until something better came along, as it would preserve the skilled workforce in the factories.

Just a thought!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

The Battle was maintained in production after the Battle of France, when priorities were set, but can't have been responsible for the deaths of many crewmen after that.  The main problem with placing the Henley into production was that it was Henleys or Hurricanes - under the circumstances I feel the better choice was made.  The P4/34 became the Fulmar.

• Like 1

Years ago some visionary modeller made the P4/34 prototype from an Airfix Bf110 kit in an article in Airfix Magazine. Sadly I can't remember who it was but it was an impressive piece of work. 

Those were the days...

John 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's,been a big pleasant surprise this one,not a jot of filler to be seen apart from a massive hole under the fuselage where the good folks at Bilek

must have just snapped the sides off the sprues.I notice a few folk priming as they go rather than when the kit is fully assembled so I'm giving it a go

using the interior green,open bomb bay doors fitted after sanding tape belts and decal for the IP.

20200614_170511

And within a couple of half hour sessions today we're here,now to deal with that hole!

20200614_195651

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey Steve that didn't take very long at all!

I like the open bomb doors in the wings, a nice touch.

Simply fell together Craig,can't wait to start the camo.

• Like 1

Nodding my head gently - that looks great.

It always amazes me how some kits fall together and others fight you all the way, from the same manufacturer, same design office - who knows why?

• Like 1

Evening folk's here's the Battle after the hole repaired and sanded  and two coats of black from the starter pack pot's as I'm totally out of black Tamiya.

20200615_201524

And two coats of Tamiya earth as with the undersides brushed on.

20200615_201510

• Like 10

Morning folk's,two coats of green yesterday and this morning then on with the gloss.Now it's problem time,the main u/c legs are fitted but Bileks

instructions are useless as to how the rest fit and certainly don't make sense compared to real photos I need to search for Airfix's instruction's or

better still a built model to progress.

20200617_105849

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Morning folk's,two coats of green yesterday and this morning then on with the gloss.Now it's problem time,the main u/c legs are fitted but Bileks

instructions are useless as to how the rest fit and certainly don't make sense compared to real photos I need to search for Airfix's instruction's or

better still a built model to progress.

Are these any good, Steve? From the Airfix Tribute Forum. If not, I'll need to go to the loft for the 'locate and cement' version..!

kuaHWTS.jpg

sHi7etZ.jpg

• Like 1