F-4B Phantom II VF-151 Vigilantes

I just cracked this open and started painting the cockpit details. I am doing it

as the GAG bird on the USS Midway, I think it was '71 or '72 cruise, I think a

Japanese and Vietnam cruise. The scheme is what got my attention, white nose

with a black outlined shark mouth and a colorful rainbow tail. Kit decals to boot!---John

jh1rSY4.jpg

ZA73YpP.jpg

efevkqC.jpg

T5RqWL6.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, Hasegawa's seats suit me fine. As a side note I build for me. I do not

build for customers, IPMS contests or to please anyone but myself. I have been

building since 1963 and learned a lot but I see no reason why to go overboard

with parts no one will see. This model will sit in my small showcase seen by myself

and maybe a friend if they happen by. It is my sole enjoyment now in my retirement

and I may spruce one up a bit but I have no need for a "show stopper" or "over the

top" super duper detailed build. Thanks for the suggestions but it ain't happening.

I am happy with what it is.---John

• Like 5

More work, The cockpit is installed as is the rear fuselage. I need a

bit of putty and sanding before things progress.---John

brzPQq3.jpg

• Like 1

I attempted to mate the rear and front fuselages. My luck ran out and my patience is short! This is

the 4th Hasegawa F-4 Phantom in 1/72 I have attempted. The first 3 got to this stage and ended up

in the bin. I am trying my best to not loose interest in this because of the horrid fit. I keep going back

and forth from side to side. One side lines up then the top goes out then the other side goes out. I

keep trying to line up panel lines but then the contours don't match. I will be putting this aside for a

few weeks and continue on with my most excellent Fujimi F-4J build and I have a good old 1/48 Tamiya

F4U-1A Corsair for stress relief. Later for this.---John

CRPjT5z.jpg

U5fTjWE.jpg

7gt6YIQ.jpg

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I dug this out to try it again. I ran into more fit problems. I think I just got a lemon as Hasegawa is

not suppose to have these fit problems. I guess. I put the wings on and the fit on the bottom where

it meets the intakes is off, it seems tight on one side and a gap on the other. Also one wing seemed

higher than the other by almost 2 mm, this was at the tips but I fudged that to look even. The rear

that butts to the grab hook is even on one side and a gap on the other. I also have to putty the intake

tunnel on the left side where the front and rear fuselages meet, there is a heck of a step. To keep my sanity

I will now go work on my not so detailed but better fitting Fujimi F-4E.---John

zeOr0g7.jpg

EqdzuyZ.jpg

XQko5ap.jpg

q2GE1mB.jpg

On 5/27/2020 at 7:13 AM, Johnv said:

I attempted to mate the rear and front fuselages. My luck ran out and my patience is short! This is

the 4th Hasegawa F-4 Phantom in 1/72 I have attempted. The first 3 got to this stage and ended up

in the bin. I am trying my best to not loose interest in this because of the horrid fit. I keep going back

and forth from side to side. One side lines up then the top goes out then the other side goes out. I

keep trying to line up panel lines but then the contours don't match. I will be putting this aside for a

few weeks and continue on with my most excellent Fujimi F-4J build and I have a good old 1/48 Tamiya

F4U-1A Corsair for stress relief. Later for this.---John

I have found that mating the front port side fuselage to the aft port side fuselage - and likewise with the starboard side - before joining the two fuselage halves will give you near perfect joints across the fuselage.

Jens

• Like 2

So you make one long right side and one long left side and join more or less like a

conventional 2 piece fuselage kit? Makes sense, a little late, this is my 4th failure.

Oh well, live and learn.---John

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jens said:

I have found that mating the front port side fuselage to the aft port side fuselage - and likewise with the starboard side - before joining the two fuselage halves will give you near perfect joints across the fuselage.

Jens

Yep, do what Jens says!  The Hasegawa F-4 can have some pretty horrid gaps in the nose to fuselage join otherwise ... also speaking as someone who found out the hard way.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jens said:

Jens

Hi Jens,

I could not agree more with you. By doing this, you avoid falling into the trap of having to attempt the mating of two half planes!!!

Cannot understand why most manufacturers want you to follow that hair rising route.

Cheers

JR

Hi John,

all is not lost and there is nothing some CA glue and sanding cannot repair! Plus a little bit of panel line re-scribing of course.

I would not trash it, but keep on working on it, because it is a beautiful plane!!!

Your decision, but keep having fun, whatever you decide!

JR

• Like 1

It's currently off the bench and in long term storage. If and its a big if I ever

do a Hasegawa 1/72 F-4 Phantom II I will definitely do it Jens method but

I am seriously looking at another brand other than Hasegawa. I really like Fujimi

but it's 80s technology. Just not nuff detail in the office and their decals are

in need of improvement.---John