Airfix Ford Tri-Motor Detail Kit

sjsald

Hey Everyone, I have a copy of the old Airfix Tri-Motor kit that I am tempted to start on.  Does anyone know of a photo-etched (or other) detail set that would compliment the base kit well?

Thank you :) 

I built this kit not too long ago (my detailed WIP is somewhere on the BM forum). There’s no aftermarket set per se, but you’d do well to replace the kit engines with Small Stuff’s Wasp Junior resin jewels. 

- Bill

P.S. I found my WIP. H it is:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sjsald said:

@billn53 thank you! I'll order the engines - they are a lot better than the ones included in the kit.

Also, your build is spectacular!

Just be advised, with the current COVID situation shipments are being seriously delayed. I ordered a couple of the Small Stuff engines from Hong Kong two months ago, they only last week arrived in country. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 11:17 PM, sjsald said:

Hey Everyone, I have a copy of the old Airfix Tri-Motor kit that I am tempted to start on.  Does anyone know of a photo-etched (or other) detail set that would compliment the base kit well?

Thank you :) 

Thunderbird Models make a vinyl masking set that helped me a lot (http://thunderbirdmodels.com/en/172-masks/48-tbm-011-thunderbird-models-172-ford-5-at-trimotor-masks.html). For the engines I used the ones from an Italeri Ju 52, with collector rings from solder wire.

Please note that Airfix moulded the prop blades with the pitch reversed, so that needs to be corrected 🙂.

Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedro1 said:

Thunderbird Models make a vinyl masking set that helped me a lot (http://thunderbirdmodels.com/en/172-masks/48-tbm-011-thunderbird-models-172-ford-5-at-trimotor-masks.html). For the engines I used the ones from an Italeri Ju 52, with collector rings from solder wire.

Please note that Airfix moulded the prop blades with the pitch reversed, so that needs to be corrected 🙂.

Peter

Thank you! :) 

Any detail kit for Airfix’s Ford Tri-motor should include new wing leading edges (or complete new wings). The corrogations should fully wrap around instead of leaving the leading edges smooth.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Any detail kit for Airfix’s Ford Tri-motor should include new wing leading edges (or complete new wings). The corrogations should fully wrap around instead of leaving the leading edges smooth.

I wish I had known this when I converted mine into the single engine 8-AT

• Like 1
  • Sad 1