Yak-42D Amodel 1/72

This was my long awaited Christmas present to myself, and I intended to start it straight away (as you do!), but circumstances meant it had to wait. However, the large awkward shaped box didn't fit into the stash very well, so the time has come to finally start. What's in the box then?  A one piece main section of fuselage and two wings that are of a plastic coated fibreglass construction, 13 plastic sprues, a small set of photo etched parts and a decal sheet for an Orel Avia plane.

Going by my normal build speed, this could be a long haul....

Dave

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I built this kit last year but the Orel Avia decals didn't appeal so I printed my own for Lithuanian Airlines. It's a lovely kit but be careful of the sharp edges on the fibreglass parts. Some of the panel lines on the wings need to be cleaned out to remove small lumps of resin but on the whole no problems with building it. It's a lot bigger than it looks in photos!

resized_643f043b-64f2-4342-a786-41928935

Hope you enjoy it.

Steve

• Like 3

It's a great looking aircraft - enjoy your build.

I flew in one from Krasnodar to Moscow in 2002 - Kuban Airlines.....

spacer.png

I was in an aviation enthusiasts group and we had just done a ramp tour, so we boarded via the rear airstairs and took our seats.

The plane filled up with passengers and when the engines were started, the cabin filled up with dense smoke :analintruder:

It gave all us Brits a shock - but the Russian passenger didn't seem concerned  and it soon cleared.

Turns out that it was fog - the aircarft had been sitting on a hot ramp and as soon as the air con came on the cabin filled with steam!!!

Interesting experience.

Good luck with your model - and Stay Safe...

Ken

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Turns out that it was fog - the aircarft had been sitting on a hot ramp and as soon as the air con came on the cabin filled with steam!!!

Similar experience when I flew this in 2009 in Ukraine Lviv-Kyiv.

Another striking thing was no doors on the luggage shelves. Everybody just pulled their bags there so that some bags were actually protruding beyond the shelves edge. In case of turbulence this all should have quickly come down... 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 10:01, BritJet said:

I built this kit last year but the Orel Avia d ecals didn't appeal so I printed my own for Lithuanian Airlines. It's a lovely kit but be careful of the sharp edges on the fibreglass parts. Some of the panel lines on the wings need to be cleaned out to remove small lumps of resin 

Lovely job on yours Steve, gives me something to aspire to! I've been cleaning up the panel lines on the wings and fuselage this evening as per photo.

I'm very envious of you Flankerman  and Dennis_C for being lucky enough to fly on one. I've only ever seen three Yak-42's before, one at East Midlands Airport and two together at Amsterdam -which were the highlight of my trip!

Dave

spacer.png

On 5/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, Flankerman said:

I flew in one from Krasnodar to Moscow in 2002 - Kuban Airlines.....

On 5/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, Dennis_C said:

Similar experience when I flew this in 2009 in Ukraine Lviv-Kyiv.

From Donetsk to Adler in 1988, classic AEROFLOT, in compassion with An-24 which I'm also flying from Donetsk to Adler ,  but in 1983 it's was as ground vs sky.

And, yes, I also remember this:

On 5/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, Flankerman said:

The plane filled up with passengers and when the engines were started, the cabin filled up with dense smoke :analintruder:

😁

was smoke and frozen air....also interesting was entering landing  over Black Sea.

I'm also not sure that it was the Yak-42D, probably I flew the usual Yak-42.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

Lovely job on yours Steve, gives me something to aspire to! I've been cleaning up the panel lines on the wings and fuselage this evening as per photo.

I'm very envious of you Flankerman  and Dennis_C for being lucky enough to fly on one. I've only ever seen three Yak-42's before, one at East Midlands Airport and two together at Amsterdam -which were the highlight of my trip!

Dave

Thanks, I spent a fair bit of time looking at alternative colour schemes before I bought the kit and Lithuanian seemed easy enough to do but different from most airline schemes. Those panel lines are exactly how mine were, as you've probably found already they soon clean up. I found the depth of the panel lines to be look right once painted.

Steve

• Like 1

Maybe some help:

1. Scratchbuild 

1/72 Yak-42 "Donbassaero":

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/10777-samodel-1-72-k-42-donbassajero.html

perhaps it was on him that I flew in 1988 when he could still be in AEROFLOT.

2. Good review 

Amodel 1/72 Yak-42D:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/12029-Amodel-1-72-k-42d.html

Discussion about review:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_73762.html

In review interesting text with photo  about Yak-42D "Orel-Avia":

"There is one coloring option in the set - Orel-Avia airline.  Board RA-42435
 A plane with an interesting story.  Released in 1993, the first operator of Orel-Avia.

In 1997, he flew at Vnukovo Airlines, then at Bykovo-Avia, from 1999 to 2004 he was leased at Moldavian Airlines (made flights to Amsterdam).  Finished his career at Alania Airlines - flew until 2009.

Currently written off and cut.
 One of the latest photos - in the parking lot in Kazan"

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2020 at 20:52, Aardvark said:

Maybe some help:

Serge

Many thanks for the really helpful links Serge, they are proving invaluable. 

I'm still not sure about which scheme it will end up in, but I've still got a little time before I commit myself.

Progress wise, I've started on the engines and in particular eliminating the annoying seams in the intake lining. Note my homemade sanding stick made with double sided tape and a strip of sandpaper on an old pen.

Dave

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

A quick update -the cockpit has been done straight from the box. Certainly not100% accurate, but better than nothing.

Dave

spacer.png

• Like 1

Cockpit look fine, you can't see any of it anyway once the fuselage is closed up so there's no point in any extra work on it. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?

Steve

12 hours ago, BritJet said:

Cockpit look fine, you can't see any of it anyway once the fuselage is closed up so there's no point in any extra work on it. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?

Steve

Thanks Steve, colour scheme is likely to be the earlier Cubana with the red cheatlines.  Spare 1/144 titles from an Il-62 are an almost perfect fit with a bit of fettling the 'B' to a 'b' needed.

Dave

On 5/28/2020 at 12:11 AM, halcyonjet said:

Note my homemade sanding stick made with double sided tape and a strip of sandpaper on an old pen.

Dave

spacer.png

I read, but have not tasted , a very interesting  method. It's  essence is that a wax-paper ring is created on the inner surface of the air intake, this is usually used on double-sided tape, the air inlet is glued with extra liquid cyanoacrylate glue, which, due to the fact that the cyanoacrylate glue does not interact with wax (i.e. greasy parts), will form a smooth and even surface that either requires less processing or does not require it at all.

Medod looks attractive, given the speed and accuracy, in addition, you can always remove cyanoacrylate glue with a debonder and do it all over again. 

I was going to try this method and even bought a highly liquid cyanoacrylate glue from Tortill Wax ..... but it lost its properties two months after the purchase for reasons unknown to me. 

Since then, I mainly use only glue cyanoacrylate gel.

But maybe someone in this topic will try the technique described above and find it working and acceptable.

B.R.

Serge 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I had to have an enforced absence from being able to do any work on this (and no computer either!), but I'm itching to get back on track, and have started on blending in the clear windscreen part to the forward fuselage section.

Serge, I like the idea that you say about and will try it out in the near future.

Dave

spacer.png