Matilda Mk.III Filibuster Tamiya 1/35

Matilda T6943 ‘Filibuster’, 49th RTR, 35th Army Tank Brigade, UK 1942 

KPFDq18.jpg

After a couple of complicated builds I was looking for something that would be straight forward to assemble that I could then experiment different weathering techniques on. The Filibuster option in SCC No.1A/ SCC No.2 Brown also fitted in with my goal of building a representation of all the AFV's used by the British, showing as many different camouflage schemes as I can.

I can see why the Tamiya Matilda is so popular as it is very well engineered and goes together so well that it only took a couple of evenings to complete the building stage.

The model was then painted with Mister Paint's MRP-345 and MRP-346

Everything was going along nicely until I reached the decalling stage when I managed to destroy one of the Filibuster decals. But I was also very disappointed with the Tamiya decals, the carrier film seems to be very thick. At this point I also discovered I had a photo of Filibuster and was dismayed to see that not only are the red squadron triangles supplied by Tamiya clearly not red on the original tank but it also appears likely that she was painted all over in Khaki Green No.3. I couldn't face repainting the whole model but I did decide to remove the offending decals, which I have to say had stuck very well. I made stencils for the Triangles and the number one (I guessed yellow was the right colour), the 'Filibuster' name that I had damaged and the brigade signs. I also changed the bridge weight sign to better match the yellow I used on the triangles and added a WD number to the number plate as I had seen photos of this practice on another Matilda. 

I decided to alter the front fenders by filling in the kits cut out ones with plastic card to match the original. I couldn't be sure looking at the photo if the front lockers are the vented ones but decided it was too late to alter them anyway, but I did add a couple of handles. I'm not sure if the kit has the right gun mantlet for Filibuster either. I added a few rivets and some wire to the smoke dischargers and thinned out the end of the tubes. The number plate was replaced with a scratch built one for better scale thickness ( I know it's wonky I kept knocking it off) and I added some detail to the aerial support (not sure how accurate it is but I copied one from an A10 cruiser). I also wanted to try making my own stowage for the rack so I made some tarps and bed rolls from miliput and a camo net from some old plastering scrim tape.

I know heavy weathering isn't to everyone's taste but I wanted a dirty but dry look similar to the photo of the original. I tried to achieve this with a combination of thinned paints, oils and pigments.

During the first photo shoot I managed to break both tracks and try as I might I just couldn't make a satisfactory repair so I ordered some of Bronco's workable tracks which I found to be much better than the link and length ones supplied.

YRjQ81n.jpg

83qRTc1.jpg

8o0AJ35.jpg

gh0JhMI.jpg

2BNQfi7.jpgsyhsR3U.jpg

GcVTIP8.jpg

4HVNlWD.jpg

MFDBEgf.jpg

6rNW2Ny.jpg

I decided not to post the comparison with the original photo as I'm not sure about infringing copyright but the original one that I found is in the Squadron /Signal publication British Tank Markings and Names by B.T. White.

Comparing my black and white photo with the one in the book you can see why it is difficult to ascertain exactly what colour scheme 'Filibuster' is in especially as she is covered in mud and dust.  

As always critique and any advice is more than welcome.

Wayne

Edit.

@Ian C pointed out on his Matilda Mk.III build that British based Mathilda's didn't carry the external fuel tank. I can't believe that after all of the studying of photos that I did for this build I missed such an obvious thing. 

I have now corrected the model but I wont photograph it again apart from the one below taken with my phone.

yWVjHEXh.jpg

Edited by diablo rsv
Additional information.
  • Like 65
  • Thanks 4

Aye up Wayne.

Fantastic model! Finish and the weathering are great. Really liking the SCC2 and SCC1A camo scheme that was carried by early British armour. I've got the Gekko Models A9 & A10 Cruisers that will be finished in the G3 and G4 scheme - when I get round to building them that is! Keep being tempted by the MRP British Armour Colours. Are they any good?

Very well done sir! 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Wayne.

Fantastic model! Finish and the weathering are great. Really liking the SCC2 and SCC1A camo scheme that was carried by early British armour. I've got the Gekko Models A9 & A10 Cruisers that will be finished in the G3 and G4 scheme - when I get round to building them that is! Keep being tempted by the MRP British Armour Colours. Are they any good?

Very well done sir! 

Regards,

Steve

Thank you very much Steve.

I'm a big fan of the MRP range and have used them on all of my latest builds. To my eyes the colours are the most accurate of any of the ranges that I have looked at. They go down very smoothly and have a satin sheen to them which I like. The only downside is that they are really airbrush ready and not great for brush painting so touching up or painting detail parts can be difficult. The price is a little bit painfull but I think they are worth it.

I used their G3/G4 on my Valentine which got me hooked on them.

I hope you get round to the A9 & 10 soon as I would be interested to see how they compare to the Bronco kits. I have finished a Bronco A10 with another in the stash and I have the A9 at the weathering stage but yet again I have messed up the link and length tracks and the thought of splashing out on some Friul's is upsetting me. I could buy the Gekko kit for not much more. 

Wayne

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

I hope you get round to the A9 & 10 soon as I would be interested to see how they compare to the Bronco kits. I have finished a Bronco A10 with another in the stash and I have the A9 at the weathering stage but yet again I have messed up the link and length tracks and the thought of splashing out on some Friul's is upsetting me. I could buy the Gekko kit for not much more. 

Wayne

Gekko A10 here for £28.00 posted. Bought mine from this seller. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GECKO-35GM0005-1-35-Kreuzer-Panzerkampfwagen-Mk-II-742-e-A-10/293474690562?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D05e2911812344e9f8da1987617870d2f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D223951974143%26itm%3D293474690562%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A3f4e0f04-9c6d-11ea-bca2-74dbd18080ec|parentrq%3A3e22b5271720a9c4c0c5048cff978c53|iid%3A1

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

Gorgeous model. 

I have one in my stash I intend to do as a CS in the same scheme.  This has given me inspiration.  Although, I'd better leave it a while until people have forgotten just how good this one is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A real stunner of a model. I love the weathering and and your home made accessories and the early British colour scheme looks great.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stef N. said:

That is really good. The muck and dirt is just right. Great model.👏

26 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

Simply put - a masterpiece ! :worthy:

Cheers

Gaz

10 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

A real stunner of a model. I love the weathering and and your home made accessories and the early British colour scheme looks great.

Thank you all very much!

Wayne

8 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Gorgeous model. 

I have one in my stash I intend to do as a CS in the same scheme.  This has given me inspiration.  Although, I'd better leave it a while until people have forgotten just how good this one is!

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Wayne, that is a fantastic looking model. The weathering is so realistic. And also, the stowage looks very natural. Nice one.

John.

Thank you both very much! I have been admiring your knowledge, attention to detail and modelling skills on here since I got involved on the forum so that is high praise indeed.

It really was an enjoyable kit to put together so I am very tempted to find a different version to build. The CDl or the conversion to take the 6pdr with what looks like a Cromwell turret look different or maybe the German adaption to take the 50mm tank gun. I will have to look around to see what's available though as my scratch building skills aren't up to the level of you guys.

Wayne

You could always have a go at the Australian version. It's not a lot difference, and I think that someone does a resin conversion for it. The name of the AM escapes me, but I think that it's an Ozzy kit.

John.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Wayne,

superb finish despite all problems, different and cool.

Cheers and TC

Francis 👍

2 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Very very nice indeed👌

Thank you both very much!

You did it again Wayne, awesome job. I wouldn't say the weathering is heavy since it's done with precision and the end result is very very convincing. Great to see some different British camo schemes.

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

You could always have a go at the Australian version. It's not a lot difference, and I think that someone does a resin conversion for it. The name of the AM escapes me, but I think that it's an Ozzy kit.

John.

To be honest John I've got far too many projects on the go at the moment so will have to curb my desire to build another one for a while.

Wayne

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ernst said:

You did it again Wayne, awesome job. I wouldn't say the weathering is heavy since it's done with precision and the end result is very very convincing. Great to see some different British camo schemes.

Cheers,

Ernst.

Thank you very much Ernst!

I must admit I'm pretty pleased with the way this one turned out. I was originally going to try and create a wet mud look but I liked the way it was looking as is, so I bottled out. I have a Tamiya Churchill that is painted in a whitewash but is waiting to be weathered so I may have a go at the wet look on that one. 

Cheers.

Wayne.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yetifan said:

wow awesome build, the tank looks heavy which always happens when the paint finish and the photos are spot on. 🙂

Thank you, 

I like to take a couple of shots from a low angle to try to give the model a more imposing look and give an impression of size.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Tremendous work, the attention to detail is first rate. Particularly like the wiring on the back of the number plate support, the smoke grenade launchers and the paint work to the exhaust, to name a few. 

Nice to see a Matilda in something other than a Caunter scheme to btw. (Nothing against the brilliant ones out there at present!)

Great job.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 25/05/2020 at 07:14, Jasper dog said:

Tremendous work, the attention to detail is first rate. Particularly like the wiring on the back of the number plate support, the smoke grenade launchers and the paint work to the exhaust, to name a few. 

Nice to see a Matilda in something other than a Caunter scheme to btw. (Nothing against the brilliant ones out there at present!)

Great job.

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl!  I appreciate your feedback. 

Wayne 

• Thanks 1