Tamiya M3A1 Scout Car - 1/35th Scale

How do chaps,

Many thanks for all the comments. Most appreciated.

Thanks to an 'aid memoir' from @Jasper dog I realised that I actually had appropriate decals for this on a set of Star Decals British Armour in Normandy. So as a tribute to @BIG X and his love of all things 11th Armoured Div here they are!

vtIoVcD.jpg

Went on with no real problems. Needed a fair bit of Micro Set/Sol on the bonnet star to sit over the hinges but it looked OK in the end.

rhR8TLB.jpg

Next job was to sort out a bit of stowage and here it is laid out. The rifles, helmets, pack and water bottle are Tamiya with the cam net, tarps and wooden crate coming from Value Gear. The 2 ammo boxes are from Bronco and were a real faff to put together!

eSUKHE8.jpg

Started laying on the base colours over a black primer. Also decided to add an old Italeri Duffel Bag too. Paints were a mix of Mig, Vallejo and Games Workshop. All washes were from Games Workshop.

4d5WBb4.jpg

ULoMEU0.jpg

Rifles were base coated in Vallejo Wood and then washed in several layers of GW Agrax Earthshade until I was happy with the colour. Metal parts ready to be picked out with Tamiya X10 Gun Metal. 

mMeAsc4.jpg

Next up will be a smidge of weathering.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 7

Hi Steve, looks tremendous one to be dead chuffed with!

All the extra stowage is really going to bring it to life.

Really nice work. :thumbsup:

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve - brilliant progress.  I have the same kit & the same decals & box loads of stowage - but free time and motivation are non existent at the moment.  So I'm really enjoying your build as a 'proxy' for my lack of activity.

Wonderful work mate - Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve - can you tell me more about the Games Workshop Agrax Earthshade wash...

Is it water based?  Are these washes like Flory washes? i.e. spray or paint on - then remove with a damp cloth or sponge?

I'm liking the effects - but would like to know more...

Thanks hopefully - Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Steve - can you tell me more about the Games Workshop Agrax Earthshade wash...

Is it water based?  Are these washes like Flory washes? i.e. spray or paint on - then remove with a damp cloth or sponge?

I'm liking the effects - but would like to know more...

Thanks hopefully - Steve

Aye up Steve.

How's it going?

Agrax Earthshade isn't a wash as such , it's a very thin transparent paint used to add shadows and shading to a model and can be built up in layers to add deeper shadows etc. I believe it's water based. Once on it can't be removed but it can be blended when wet or painted over once dry. I generally apply it by brush but i've spayed neat from the bottle it in the past with good results. I used it to add a bit of 5 o'clock shadow to the crew in the Tamiya M4A3E8 i posted up in RFI a bit back. Games Workshop do a whole raft of different shades and another one I use is Anthonian Camo Shade which is a green. It's great for adding depth to British webbing and such. They're about 4 quid a bottle and they last ages. Nuln Oil is another good one for adding oily deposits and spills. On YouTube there's loads of vids on how to use it on the Warhammer TV channel. 

Hope this helps and give us a prod if you need to know owt else about it :winkgrin:

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Aye up Steve.

By 'eck as like. Tha's done a reet champion job there. Sorry, I must stop reading those James Herriot books.

Great work. It looks to be a very good kit and you're making a fine job of it. Value Gear is excellent stuff.

John.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Aye up Steve.

By 'eck as like. Tha's done a reet champion job there. 

Aye up John,

We'll meck a reet Yorkshire lad out a thee yet! 

See tha,

Steve

• Haha 1

How do chaps,

Started on the weathering. Nothing too fancy, just some dry brushing and earth/dust coats applied with the squirt gun. I actually got quite carried away in painting the stowage and I forgot to take more progress pics and then added it to the model before I started to weather! Any how - first up pics of the stowage in place and after the drybrushing.

rgxSCXD.jpg

641HrPt.jpg

93JFS3H.jpg

xKweZuV.jpg

BRL4uYs.jpg

One the stowage was on I misted the lower part with Mig Earth and this was allowed to drift up the sides a bit. This was then followed with a misting of Mig Dust. Cam net was also re-attached to the rear plate as it had previously fallen off!

p2lHfhI.jpg

ATsXmyT.jpg

JOH33nH.jpg

Vx5OOqe.jpg

68drJkT.jpg

Last pic is a close up of the rifle in the front seat. The flash makes the metal parts look a lot shinier that they actually are. 

6einyvf.jpg

Overall I'm quite pleased with the end result. Think I need to tweak the weathering on the tyre treads though. Now time for a figure. This chap was snaffled from the Tamiya Universal Carrier kit. He was put together (total of 3 parts!) and then sprayed with a black base coat. He's supposed to be wearing a beret but I'm going to be sticking a tin hat on his nut once he's painted.

BrWIc2G.jpg

Once the black had dried he was sprayed with Tamiya XF49 Khaki. I generally paint British Battledress with Games Workshop Steel Legion Drab but thought I'd have a change.

wRWeYyc.jpg

Once this had dried I painted the webbing and gaiters with Vallejo Hemp. And the Khaki was given a generous going over with GW Agrax Earthshade to add shadows and shading to recesses. The webbing and gaiters were then given a coat of GW Anthonian Camo Shade that gives it a nice blanco'd green hue. The Agrax was still wet on this pic. It generally takes about 20 mins to dry so progress can be a quite quick. 

n17H6JA.jpg

Next up will be painting the face and hands etc. 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 9

Hi Steve, some seriously good work going on her mate. The detail paintwork on the stowage is great as is the light weathering on the wagon.

Great work!

:thumbsup:

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2020 at 9:45 PM, Jasper dog said:

Hi Steve, some seriously good work going on her mate. The detail paintwork on the stowage is great as is the light weathering on the wagon.

Great work!

:thumbsup:

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl,

I decided not to go too heavy on the weathering this time as I wanted a dusty look.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:11 AM, Bullbasket said:

Can't really pick any individual part out Steve, because it all looks excellent. Great work.

John.

Thanks John,

That's very much appreciated.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:44 PM, flashlight said:

Excellent paint work!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick and you have a nice day too.

Small update from the past few days.

More work on the figure in the shape of face and hands done with a base coat of GW Cadian Fleshtone. Once this had dried a wash of GW Reikland Fleshtone was applied all over and this settled into the recesses. A highlight of GW Kislev Flesh was then applied to the nose, chin, ears, cheeks and forehead. The teeth were picked out with Vallejo white as were the eyes. Another wash of Reikland Fleshtone was applied to tone the white down. The boots were also given several more washes with GW Agrax Earthshade and some uniform highlight were added with GW Steel Legion Drab. Hair is GW Rhinox Hide with a bit of shading done with Agrax Earthshade to add a bit of depth.

Fjgn8nh.jpg

The helmet was painted with GW Deathworld Forest and washed with Agrax Earthshade. The shoulder flashes and 11th Armoured Div badges are decals from the Gekko Models British Machine Gun Team. The kit comes with a choice of 11th AD, 49th West Riding or 53rd Welsh. The decals were by far the best I've ever used. 10 seconds in cold water and they were ready to apply. They are very thin and went on really well with a touch of Micro Sol to help them conform the the shape of the arms. I really think that they add a new dimension to the figure. In fact I enjoyed doing the figure so much I've started to put some more together! Tamiya British figures tend to be very 'smiley' 

kBxOUbx.jpg

4mZam3U.jpg

The M3 was also finished off with a dust wash to the tyre treads. This was added after the pics were taken.

kKJeJXi.jpg

And now for something to sit them on. The base is an MDF one that I bought at a show many years ago. Cork was attached with PVA to give some variation to the height. M3 sat on to see how it looks. On this pic you can see the dust wash in the tyre treads.

LxCY9NF.jpg

Cheap ready mixed filler was then applied. This is quite thick and will probably need a good few days to set properly.

pxwbyua.jpg

Once this has fully set it will be base coated in black before being painted in earth tones. Grass and other gubbins will also be added.

More to follow soon.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 11

Very nice.

You going to add slings to the rifles?

And I presume you will be adding ammo pouches as well? The shoulder straps on 37 pattern webbing attached to the top of the front pouch, not the belt.

• Thanks 1

Awesome work, the scout car looks great. I really like the wood on the tools and the rifles, they're excellent. Those GW paints are something to keep i mind, especially since there's a  franchise just around the corner. I'll be looking forward to the vignette.

Cheers, Ernst

• Thanks 1

Scout cars ...just like busses ...you don't see one for years then two show up at the same time :) lovely job on this ..the little personal items that breath life into a vehicle makes all the difference:goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1