Tamiya M3A1 Scout Car - 1/35th Scale

Woke up early this morning and read the build blog from start to finish ......really nice clean build and paint job on this one Steve👍
I like the stowage choice and placement. Interesting intro to some new paints and finish’s I might take a look at.

Top notch

Regards

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, John_W said:

Very nice.

You going to add slings to the rifles?

And I presume you will be adding ammo pouches as well? The shoulder straps on 37 pattern webbing attached to the top of the front pouch, not the belt.

Thanks John,

Decided not to add the ammo pouches as i quite like his relaxed pose. As for the rifles - no slings this time but after your post I decided to have a bash at adding them to a couple of Dragon figures that I've been having a play about with... The slings were made from Tamiya tape and then painted. I don't think they look too bad to be honest, maybe a little stiff so I might have a go with some foil on the next attempt.

pN5SbPT.jpg

On 6/24/2020 at 8:02 AM, Bullbasket said:

For a figure which comes with the kit, it looks really good. Nice work with the painting Steve.

John.

Thanks John.

The figure is from the Tamiya Universal Carried kit. The M3 came with a set of really nice Soviet figures which will probably be used with another kit at some point.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, Ernst said:

Awesome work, the scout car looks great. I really like the wood on the tools and the rifles, they're excellent. Those GW paints are something to keep i mind, especially since there's a  franchise just around the corner. I'll be looking forward to the vignette.

Cheers, Ernst

Thanks Ernst. 

GW paints are really worth a try if you can.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:56 AM, Jasper dog said:

Outstanding, great work on the figure, no wonder he looks quiet pleased with himself!

:goodjob:

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. 

Tamiya British figures always tend to be rather 'smiley' for some reason.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, BIG X said:

Looking good Sir!!!

I thanks you kindly sir!

On 6/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, Redcoat2966 said:

Woke up early this morning and read the build blog from start to finish ......really nice clean build and paint job on this one Steve👍
I like the stowage choice and placement. Interesting intro to some new paints and finish’s I might take a look at.

Top notch

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I always find the choosing, placing and painting of stowage one of the most enjoyable parts of a build!

The filler on the base took about a week to completely dry and was then given a base coat of black primer. Tamiya XF52 Flat Earth was then misted over the top of this along with random patches of Tamiya XF57 Buff to lighten it up a smidge. 

Once the base coats had dried a good old fashioned dry brushing was done with various earthy tones to pick up the high spots on the ground work. PVA was then applied and some scenic scatter was applied and a 'bush was added to the top corner. No work in progress pics unfortunately as I got carried away with it. GW tufts were also added in random places along with some GW Agrax Earthshade to the tyre ruts and other shadowy areas of the base. Pic of the bush.

is0xirO.jpg

And one of the overall Dio/Vignette.

EY3QWfz.jpg

Think that I'm going to get some Static Grass and experiment with it for the next Dio that I build, 

Many thanks for all the comments, suggestions and encouragement and for tagging along on this. I'll post more pics up in RFI. Now what to build next??

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 10

Great job there and nice to see someone else that uses Games Workshops paints and washes.

I use them extensively for some of my models (also have a fair amount of Warhammer as my other hobby) and really rate them.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

Great job Steve......it all fits together very nicely ....bet your proud of that...and you should be you did an excellent job.

EDIT....what happened to the two infantry guys....i know there hiding under that bush aren't they.......:lol:

Edited by M3talpig
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, M3talpig said:

EDIT....what happened to the two infantry guys....i know there hiding under that bush aren't they.......:lol:

Thanks M3,

The two infantry chaps were knocked up whilst i was waiting for the ground work to dry and they'll make an appearence at somepoint on another dio...

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1