Tamiya M3A1 Scout Car - 1/35th Scale

How do chaps,

I'd told myself that under no circumstances was I going to start another kit until the Stug was finished. Then on Monday this was dropped at the door! :whistle:

'

M4rRN6r.jpg

After I'd given the Stug a final gloss coat after the decals had gone on I opened this just to have a 'look' at the sprues. These are the main sprues and there's also another two smaller sprues with very nice .50 and .30 cal machine guns and various ammo boxes. A smaller clear sprue for the windscreen and light lenses. A sprue of 5 Soviet figures is also included of the driver and the four figures on the box art. These are very well sculpted. Won't be getting used on this one though. I may use some of the figures on the T34 i'm planning for that particular GB. Kit has 3 marking options. 2 Soviet in plain OD and 1 US from North Africa in OD and Sand camo with huge white stars on the sides and bonnet (or hood for our American cousins) Plan to finish this as a British vehicle however. 

A4y9xxT.jpg

Made a start on the build with the chassis. This is moulded in 1 piece that various bits of steering and suspension are added. 

c9gqz6b.jpg

GOBXCax.jpg

NXXhBwC.jpg

o5MdVUh.jpg

ltcuOZx.jpg

FXySxnF.jpg

And one with the wheels fitted. Thankfully all four sit level. These have poly caps so will be removed for a bit of a clean up and the painting. 

YBnEMTW.jpg

All told it took me about an hour and half to get to this stage in the build. I really like how the kit is broken down. The body is built separate from the chassis and then the last stage of the build is to bring them together. This should really help when it comes to the painting stage. 

More to follow soon.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 10

Hi Steve, Looking good, fancy doing a British one myself, if I hadn't been forbidden on pain of death from buying anymore kits.....:whistle:

Bench is still looking outstandingly clean and tidy, btw!:yikes:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Steve, Looking good, fancy doing a British one myself, if I hadn't been forbidden on pain of death from buying anymore kits.....:whistle:

Bench is still looking outstandingly clean and tidy, btw!:yikes:

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl,

I'm even surprising myself at just how tidy i'm keeping the bench! 

Jadlam currently have the kit on sale at £24.95.... You can always blame me if you get one! :whistle:

Regards,

Steve

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Jadlam currently have the kit on sale at £24.95.... You can always blame me if you get one! :whistle:

Regards,

Steve

Sorry ma'am, three bags full ma'am, not my fault, honest, please, please no, not the knee caps - again! 

blame Steve....

• Haha 1

Aye up Steve. Hope that your in fine fettle. That does look like a nice kit. Certainly better than the Italeri/Zvezda one that I used on my Israeli A/C.

John.

• Like 1

Aye Up Steve

I got one for my birthday last October & subsequently bought some British Crew / stowage / decals for the 11th Armoured...

I've lost the will to model since then - but I'll definitely tag along to cheer you on & hopefully boost my mojo a little.

STAY HOME / SNIFF GLUE / SAVE LIVES ;)

All the best - Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very nice, I have an old Italeri version (Zvezda nicked the molds I think) in the loft, may be next one BUT may want to do something to it to lift it from a 70s kit so would need references (and probably an easier kit to build between the Type 89 and this)

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 9:21 AM, Bullbasket said:

Aye up Steve. Hope that your in fine fettle. That does look like a nice kit. Certainly better than the Italeri/Zvezda one that I used on my Israeli A/C.

John.

Aye up John,

I'm good thanks and hope you are too. It's a smashing kit and has gone together without and trouble so far. :D

On 5/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, BIG X said:

Aye Up Steve

I got one for my birthday last October & subsequently bought some British Crew / stowage / decals for the 11th Armoured...

I've lost the will to model since then - but I'll definitely tag along to cheer you on & hopefully boost my mojo a little.

STAY HOME / SNIFF GLUE / SAVE LIVES ;)

All the best - Steve

Aye up Steve,

Sorry to her about the loss of modelling mojo as its a real pig when that happens. I reckon this kit would be a perfect mojo booster! :winkgrin:

On 5/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, robw_uk said:

Very nice, I have an old Italeri version (Zvezda nicked the molds I think) in the loft, may be next one BUT may want to do something to it to lift it from a 70s kit so would need references (and probably an easier kit to build between the Type 89 and this)

Thanks Rob,

I do believe that the moulds for the Italeri kit were originally released by Max back in the 70's and that the kit was also released by Airfix at some point too. :hmmm:

Had a very pleasant few hours in the shed last night building the upper gubbins. Parts just fell together with out any difficulties.

Gear stick and such added to the hull floor.

6ksTpoH.jpg

Engine bulkhead in place with pedals and steering column attached.

THAqdV8.jpg

And attached to the front of the floor.

YRW1U5w.jpg

Lockers fitted over the rear arches.

vrc2D8v.jpg

Side plates fitted. These literally clicked into place.

lhitNcA.jpg

Lids added the the lockers and rear plate on.

zhfK5Em.jpg

Front wings added. Sat nice and square at this point.

N0qrFSp.jpg

Sat on the chassis to see how it looked.

o09nJRN.jpg

Front plate added to the bonnet. Decided to go for the armoured flaps open.

NjNswLh.jpg

Bonnet fitted along with the armoured panels for the doors. Fitted these in their open position. Some small pin marks needed shifting but these sanded off without any drama. Radiator and armoured cover fitted. Decided to have these closed to make the painting simpler.

KBJzWnu.jpg

The mounting points for the MG's were a bit of a faff to put together. Three built in total.

cgPZCip.jpg

Skate rail and MG mounts fitted. The rail took a little bit of fettling to sit right but looks good when in. 

oxCBMTu.jpg

And sat on the chassis again to see how things looked. Still need to fit the un-ditching roller at the front and head lights etc.

z8286fa.jpg

And this is where I left off for the night. All the parts ready for painting. Headlights are fitted but I've left off the guards to i can paint inside the lights and then add the clear lenses after the painting is done. Managed to lose one of the tiny little side lights :doh:

EmwdO0V.jpg

So, its now ready for paint. Might do this and then go back to the Stug to get that finished. The T34 GB is due to start in a few weeks time so I hope to have at least this or the Stug finished before I start on the kit for the GB.

Thanks for dropping by.

regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 11

Crikey Steve, turn my back for a minute and its built!

I'd still be faffing around trying to decide what order to paint things, you've got this modelling lark nailed.

Looking forward to seeing it painted, who's / which decals are you using?

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 1

Fantastic update Steve.  I'm loving the good logical progress & brilliant results.  I can't wait to see it primed - don't pop it away - keep going :clap2: Steve

• Thanks 1

How do chaps,

Many thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

After the recent 'Stug incident' :whistle: I'd decided to leave things alone for a few days before coming back to this. The model was primed with Mig One Shot Primer.

BAgGWzi.jpg

Once this had dried I want with a Mig Olive Drab base coat. This went on lovely and was thinned with Self Levelling Thinner.

5LXbJfL.jpg

Mig Olive Drab Highlights went on next.

LK3Adqx.jpg

The wheels were painted with a circle template but need a little tidying up on the tyre edges. Nothing that can't be fixed.

hIBUIf5.jpg

Sat on the chassis to see how things were looking.

KuHA0Mu.jpg

All glossed up and ready for some more work.

E1JXCXS.jpg

g7NlL6Y.jpg

Decals added to the dash and then this was fitted (pic slightly out of focus)

N6Ve20o.jpg

C4RJqkw.jpg

Seats and tools painted. The gun rail was also given a wash of GW Agrax Earthshade. The padding on the rail was painted with GW Steel Legion Drab and given a wash of Agrax. The floor of the body was dry brushed with GW Graveyard Earth. 

ghchmHq.jpg

rPYiZMi.jpg

After I'd gone round the various hinges and panel lines with Agrax Earthshade the seats, tools and fuel cans were fitted. These had been painted with various Vallejo and Games Workshop paints. 

GGuh22k.jpg

tOlE3a6.jpg

s6K4vJ2.jpg

sSWYM56.jpg

GNb2HLV.jpg

Next job will be to go through my decals to find something suitable to cobble together a British vehicle. Will also add some stowage and maybe a figure or two. Weathering will be kept to a minimum on this one i think.

More to follow soon.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 14

Just found this and am very impressed with your build. Looking forward to seeing this cross the finishing line.

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve, looks great, as John has said I like your wooden handles,  how do you do it? I've never been happy with my wood.  

Star Decal   35-921 British armour in Normandy, 1/35, covers a British M3, available on Ebay,  I'd have posted a link to it but can I remember/figure out how!

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey up Steve.  This is looking really good.  Thanks for the update - Steve

Aye up Steve. 

Cheers mate for the comment.

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Just found this and am very impressed with your build. Looking forward to seeing this cross the finishing line.

Stay safe           Roger

Morning Roger,

Many thanks stay safe.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I like the way this is turning out Steve, especially the wooden handles on the pioneer tools. Nice work.

John.

Morning John,

Thanks. I quite like rhe way its turning out myself! 

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Steve, looks great, as John has said I like your wooden handles,  how do you do it? I've never been happy with my wood.  

Star Decal   35-921 British armour in Normandy, 1/35, covers a British M3, available on Ebay,  I'd have posted a link to it but can I remember/figure out how!

Atb

Darryl 

Morning Darryl.

Thanks. To do tool handles, i undercoat in black and then put on a top coat of Vallejo Model Air Wood. This is quite orange/brown in colour and usually takes 3 or 4 coats to cover well. Once this has dried i then give them a wash of Games Workshop Agrax Earthshade. The more you add the darker the finish. I've actually found the the rougher the Vallejo Wood paint finish the better the overall effect! I've only ever tried the oils method on wood once and really struggled to get a nice effect. Much prefer my own method 😉 Will have a look to see if i can hunt the decal sheet down.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Will have a look to see if i can hunt the decal sheet down.

Ebay item no, type this in and you should get it.114042101996

Cheers

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Ebay item no, type this in and you should get it.114042101996

Cheers

Cheers Darryl.

I put the number in and guess what? I've already got the decals!!! It's probably the reason why i bought the kit in the first place! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Cheers Darryl.

I put the number in and guess what? I've already got the decals!!! It's probably the reason why i bought the kit in the first place! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Steve

Who's hasn't accidentally doubled up...:doh:

Cheers

• Haha 1

Hi Steve, 

very good work with the model so far, I really like how it looks.
The small details of the dashboard look great, a touch of color, and the tools are very well painted.
Cheers and TC
Francis.

• Thanks 1