Boeing 707-321, N722PA/Jet Clipper Lark, Pan Am, 1961

Probably my favourite airliner, to me the Pan Am 707s represent a cool Americana image, and the American dream. Station wagons on the drive of 50s dream homes, neat gardens and pastel yellow cardigans, glamorous stewardesses and all the retro cool of that era.

For this model I used the Airfix British Airways 707, pretty much out of the box but with the superb 26 Decals so kindly donated by @stringbag

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 28

I'm old enough to remember when the Pan Am' 707s were brand new. You've captured the spirit of that era very well. Oh, American that I am, I still believe the Comet is one of the most beautiful airliners ever built, especially in the 4, 4B and 4C variants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Riot,

Well that's scrubbed up very well indeed! Yes very retro cool!

I can't remember when we last saw any  Airfix 707s now we have two in a week, I think if I can find one cheap enough I'm going to have to get one too.

Now we just need something finished from @stringbag

Cheers,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

Well done!

When I was a kid in Argentina, their ads where ubiquitous:

"Lo grande es ir con PANAM"

(The big deal is to go with PANAM)

"Vámonos, diga adiós, el mundo lo espera! Vamos a volar"

(Let's go, say good by, the world is waiting for you! let's go fly!)

And it did inspire me as a kid. And I indeed flew away, in time.

I used to climb to the roof -to the despair of my granny- just to see their silhouettes in the distance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Now we just need something finished from @stringbag

Cheers,

Ian.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.

Glad you're happy with it Dave.  It is a classic livery and one that I'm pleased to see here.

All the best.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the comments gents, really appreciated! It was actually quite difficult getting the paint right, the silver kept bubbling where masking tape had been, and the white gets dirty so easily from even the tiniest bit of silver paint on hands! The demarcation line could be neater but I settled on how it is now after about four remask and resprays! 

It's a shame Pan Am went bust, they seemed huge at one point. I remember seeing the 747s on overflight with the giant billboard style markings that you could actually read through binoculars even when they were at 35,000 feet. I like the old advert posters best though, some really cool ones. Would look good in the dining room but not sure the wife would agree! 😂

10 hours ago, stringbag said:

Patience Grasshopper, patience.

Glad you're happy with it Dave.  It is a classic livery and one that I'm pleased to see here.

All the best.

Chris.

It’s a good job we aren’t on a hunger strike waiting for this airbus to cross the line 😂

lovely 707, great to see these old kits getting 21st century tlc :)

• Thanks 1

Very nice and I'm totally with you.  A great icon from the coolest decade known to man.  That I was a product of said decade is entitirely coincidental.😏

P.S.  Would love to see some pics of the Comet lurking in the background. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thank you for all the comments gents, really appreciated! It was actually quite difficult getting the paint right, the silver kept bubbling where masking tape had been, and the white gets dirty so easily from even the tiniest bit of silver paint on hands! The demarcation line could be neater but I settled on how it is now after about four remask and resprays! 

It's a shame Pan Am went bust, they seemed huge at one point. I remember seeing the 747s on overflight with the giant billboard style markings that you could actually read through binoculars even when they were at 35,000 feet. I like the old advert posters best though, some really cool ones. Would look good in the dining room but not sure the wife would agree! 😂

Originals command quite a price too.  I looked in to purchasing an orginal BOAC poster from the 60s and it was several hundred quid which rather put the kibosh on that idea.  There are some rather nice reproductions available on-line though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Very nice and I'm totally with you.  A great icon from the coolest decade known to man.  That I was a product of said decade is entitirely coincidental.😏

P.S.  Would love to see some pics of the Comet lurking in the background. 

Happy to oblige! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the Comet RFI here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see the Airfix 707 done well. The kit does feature Rolls Royce Conway engines rather than the Pratt and Whitney JT4s that would have been fitted to Pan Am 707-321 aircraft but they look much the same.

• Thanks 1