Airfix Panther 1/76

No specific story attached to this one but I built it many times as a kid, the first time was probably when Airfix kits came in a baggy with a cardboard header, so it’s full on nostalgia :) 

49923560926_0403e96fdc_c.jpg

49923867357_bf1b7bd31b_c.jpg

The box art. A coat of desert yellow, I’m going to finish this in a late war ambush scheme. Come to think of it I probably didn’t even paint my first Panther.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Destroying an ambulance and the guy next to it looking dead - how did / do they get away with that on the artwork?

And it appears to be depicted in North Africa. They talk about children being traumatised these days but the memory of finding out that there weren't Panthers in the North African campaign still makes be reach for the Scotch.

Edited by Pete F
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Pete F said:

And it appears to be depicted in North Africa. They talk about children being traumatised these days but the memory of finding out that there weren't Panthers in the North African campaign still makes be reach for the Scotch.

The Storch artwork also shows Panthers (and Elefants) gallivanting around the North African desert ... 🤨

• Like 2

12 hours ago, klr said:

The Storch artwork also shows Panthers (and Elefants) gallivanting around the North African desert ...

I think that this is actually an intriguing subject. Having read the Roy Cross books and appreciated the detail that he went into with his aircraft paintings I can't equate the bizarreness of these illustrations.

Do you think it was because there was a sparseness of historical knowledge at the time as to when certain AFVs went into service? Thinking about it, this can't be right as even as a kid I think I knew it was incorrect. I did wonder if it was the tan/sand colour that lead artists to believe the tanks were in North Africa.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pete F said:

I think that this is actually an intriguing subject. Having read the Roy Cross books and appreciated the detail that he went into with his aircraft paintings I can't equate the bizarreness of these illustrations.

Do you think it was because there was a sparseness of historical knowledge at the time as to when certain AFVs went into service? Thinking about it, this can't be right as even as a kid I think I knew it was incorrect. I did wonder if it was the tan/sand colour that lead artists to believe the tanks were in North Africa.

It could well be. I too knew as a kid that while the Tiger (Panzer VI) saw service in North Africa, the Panther (Panzer V) did not. I guess if you're an avid modeller and military enthusiast from a young age, you take a lot of detailed historical knowledge for granted, and forget that others may not be so well informed.

• Like 1

Is the box art supposed to be Africa? The troops look to be in field grey but their uniform and kit looks very early war. Now as I understand it desert gear as issued was rush green and faded to light tan. 

But I do agree even as a kid I knew that the Panther wasn’t used until Zitadel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Is the box art supposed to be Africa?

Looking at the palm trees and low North African style of building I would say so.

A lot of Afrika Korps troops were kitted out in field grey uniforms, and a lot of their vehicles were still in the European grey colour until locally re-painted.

Yes you’re right I hadn’t noticed the palm trees or the North African style buildings.

Still you have to remember that when the box art was done you had to do your research in real life no googling and getting results in minutes and Panthers in North Africa might have seemed reasonable even if they never got there.

If you think about it logically they shouldn’t have wasted tigers on North Africa. But then again if you applied pure logic to it you wouldn’t have bothered making Tigers as Panthers were way cheaper to build and just as effective. But if you take another leap of logic they should just have up gunned the panzer IV and made even more of them, or to be really logical they shouldn’t have sent the Afrika Korps at all, as it just took much needed resources from the other fronts and so on... 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Marklo said:

If you think about it logically they shouldn’t have wasted tigers on North Africa.

Maybe - but the North African campaign could still have gone either way right to the wire. It was probably worth pushing it as far as they could. In any case it is usually worthwhile testing a new weapon in combat when you have the chance. Given how effective the Tigers were IMHO the Germans should have committed more (but I don't think they could by then).

12 minutes ago, Marklo said:

you wouldn’t have bothered making Tigers as Panthers were way cheaper to build and just as effective

Umm - I am not convinced that Panthers (at least for a long time) were the wonderful tanks that they are seen as today.

14 minutes ago, Marklo said:

or to be really logical they shouldn’t have sent the Afrika Korps at all, as it just took much needed resources from the other fronts and so on.

Except - a German Middle East would have been a game changer. And it nearly happened.

15 minutes ago, Marklo said:

just have up gunned the panzer IV and made even more of them

There's something in that. I think that lots of easily manufactured weapons often trump the amazing stuff that is expensive to build and maintain.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

To some extent I agree aboiut the Panzer IV, but it was upgunned to take the KwK40 L/48 version of the 75mm gun, which was somewhat better than the standard 75mm gun in the Sherman. I doubt the turret ring would be big enought for the more powerful Kwk 42 L/70 used in the Panther, and the chassis and suspension would be struggling with the weight and recoil force I guess. The only way they managed to fit that gun was to dispense with the turret and mount it with a limited traverse in the Jagdpanther IV. However, I agree they would perhaps have been better advised to copy the US philosophy of large numbers of easy to build if rather less effective Shermans, supported by a few more heavily armed tanks/tank destroyers. The Mk IV family was to my mind the best of the German tank range - gun tank, Stug, Jagdpanzer, Flakpanzer and the various SP guns on the Mk III/IV chassis - they certainly got full value out of the design.

I bought my first Airfix tank - a Sherman - just after it was released, in Woolies in Alloa when visiting family in around 1961, and the Panther and Churchill followed not long after. The Panther was mouilded in a "sand" coloured plastic and I doubt I bothered to paint it for many a year. I probably still have it though a lot of the early tanks have suffered "track rot" as I call it, where the rubber goes rigid and brittle, and gets broken. I did start to replace the tracks with cast resin ones from the OKB Grigorov range, which are very good but not exactly cheap.

I will watch this with interest Marklo as it brings back many happy memories.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

49933980786_07138aabae_c.jpg

49934289567_8bf89f2e29_c.jpg

49933465968_fb2acff3de_c.jpg

49934288697_da9a59cbff_c.jpg
Road wheels painted and attached. Ready to glue on the upper hull. As can be expected the carpet monster got a wheel, but thanks to the double rows the missing item can’t be seen ( or is that be not seen)

The pic is the scheme I’m going to do.

Next  step is to add some supports for the schurzen before I attach the upper hull.

• Like 5

On 5/22/2020 at 7:46 PM, Dansk said:

Great stuff, enjoy!
Destroying an ambulance and the guy next to it looking dead - how did / do they get away with that on the artwork?

Hi Dansk,

these were the happy days before the scourge of political correctness!!!!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49945621698_a5fbc84d72_c.jpg

49946415502_ffd163720a_c.jpg
Stated the camo. Some very careful work with a OOO brush. The greens a bit translucent so will need a second coat.

Have to get those fuel tanks done before I get too far ahead of myself with painting.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

49952046771_2467336b7c_c.jpg

49952046766_39827a472d_c.jpg
Drilled out the muzzle brake and exhausts , added a few parts and painted a bit more  camo. Very nearly finished, just a few more parts, some spots, decals and a bit of mud and weathering. Pleased with the look so far.

• Like 6

I'm just catching up with this one Marklo and was pleased to see that you've used staples on the tracks.  A real memory jerker!

Re the artwork - are we sure it's a Roy Cross (it doesn't really look like his work to me).

Cheers