Adrian's wading Walrus

I have my 1973 Matchbox Walrus kit washed and ready to go. I tried a sample of the original decal sheet (in Roobios tea!) and it came off well and didn't crack so may use that decal sheet just for old time sake. The reason I've titled it wading Walrus is that it will be waterlined. I will do basic stringing and one or two extras. Watch this space

IMG_1272

IMG_1270

I also have an aftermarket decal sheet so will see which looks best.

IMG_1271

Some hints of whats going to happen 😉

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

I tried a sample of the original decal sheet (in Roobios tea!) and it came off well and didn't crack so may use that decal sheet just for old time sake.

So that's the secret, Rooibos tea.

Photos taken an hour ago at coffee

IMG_1292

Bit of a delay as had to bathe the puppy

IMG_1281

A tale of four greens

IMG_1293

A comparison between Xtracolour Light slight grey (next to Hammond the crocodile) and Xtr. Dark slate grey

IMG_1294

I have decided to do a lot of pre-painting and clean and repaint when assembled. The fuselage has had the windows cut out low down near the nose and pre-drilled for strining. I took the opportunity with the twist drill in my hand to do the same to the wings and engine nacelle, might leave rigging on floats.

• Like 5

A good day's modelling. Fuselage sturdily glued so waterlined it

IMG_1297

Hammond got carried away and said he wishes he was a duck rather than a rubber crocodile

IMG_1296

As there is this big 'ole a bit of plasticard was used as a blanking plate

IMG_1299

Paint will dry hard overnight

IMG_1301

Finished modelling today at 'Prosecco o'clock'

IMG_1298

• Like 3

Great progress Adrian

I was a bit worried that "bathing the Puppy" was a euphemism for something else, so it was with both trepidation then relief that I looked at the next picture ! :phew:

Looking forward to the the next instalment 

Cheers Pat

• Haha 5

I like the little jar of bottle caps for your paint tests. Every modeller has their unique solution to a problem.

Love the Walrus, 

• Like 1

An update. Confronted the countershading. Simple, do in top colour. Then mask a line and overpaint. My paint job is not particularly good, but oh' well

IMG_1308

IMG_1311

Had a bit of a disaster as the front engine mount lost two bits - shabby fourty six year old plastic !

IMG_1309

I have done two sizes of Milliput/plasticard dinghies and will choose and paint what looks good in the morning when it is hard

IMG_1306

• Like 5

Had a break for the evening meal

IMG_1312

Some interesting potatoes, Tuna and hand made Pesto with pine nuts. I do get looked after 🙂

IMG_1313

After a pleasant walk with my lady and our puppy, now resuming modelling

IMG_1314

• Like 6

That's a complicated paint scheme for a weekend build, and you're sculpting parts! There are some ambitious projects in this GB.

Also...those potatoes look amazing.

Edited by Ted
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ted said:

That's a complicated paint scheme for a weekend build, and you're sculpting parts! There are some ambitious projects in this GB.

Also...those potatoes look amazing.

I'm just one of many intrepid modellers on this enjoyable build.

The potatoes were scrummy 

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I was a bit worried that "bathing the Puppy" was a euphemism for something else

No, just no, don't give him ideas like that.... I actually know Adrian, so I know of which I speak., and it's the of thing that could well be a euphemism of his! 

• Haha 4

Longish day in the saddle. I'm taking off 'family time', as shown by images of watch and reckon adding yesterday and today I have six and a half hours to finish.

Today I had the disaster of breakage of the engine strut which meant it was not viable to rig the engine. I had pre-drilled the holes.  

Luckily my partner took her son for a four mile walk which gave me a bit of peace and time. As you can see I did the half wing method of stringing which can be done on this kit as well as the Matchbox Heyford I made recently.  What I learnt about myself today is that a big dose of 'that will do' helps. Tomorrow decals, minor bits of construction then build the mini doirama.

IMG_1315

IMG_1316

IMG_1317

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Fantastic build Adrian... and rigging too :worthy:

Thanks. I’m just having a laugh, that’s all. Paint finish is obviously just thrown on. I did use a bit of Windsor and Newton pain extender on Troy’s recommendation- it was useful. Am very glad floats are high enough that I don’t have to waterline them. Now for some sleep 😴 

• Like 1

Looking good there! I know people waterline ships all the time but I can’t remember seeing it done on an aeroplane before. It is a big project with all the things that you are doing here. Looking forward to the next instalment.

And I’d never seen or heard of Hasselback potatoes until I saw them in a recent Tesco ad and looked them up...

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian, that was it ‘Hasselback’, Annie did them herself by putting a wooden skewer through the middle so that she didn’t cut all the way through.

I meed to plan carefully so I het all things done in the six and a half hours that I have left. 😊

One last push. The Milliput is dry and I will use the smaller of the two dinghies. This model is a general representation of the type rather than an 'accurate' representation of a specific type.

IMG_1318

It is this picture that I will attempt to represent

Supermarine Walrus

• Like 3