Severax Vs. Solrak 75mm.

Hi all

Time to try my hand at a few more 75mm figures, these to chaps seam to be having a friendly chat about something. I will not post a picture of how the professional has painted this display because I will not get anywhere near lose so your just going to have to put up with slap bash painting again. 

Most of the parts are all glued together and I have started on the base. 

IMG-20200520-112928.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As with most of my figure painting I stall at some point as I'm not sure what to do, this time it's the axe and shoulder armour parts I'm unsure of of. I would like to try a NMM on the axe but really have no idea were to start. I will put it down for a day or and see what comes to me, I still have the other gut to fix as I made a complete ball ups of painting him. 

IMG-20200723-094432.jpg
IMG-20200723-094441.jpg
IMG-20200723-094457.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Looks ace so far RPC :)

Cheers. 

Made a start on the other chap and going with a very Ork looking skin, I might tone a bit more to purple/brown yet. All the the other paint on the 2nd guy will be re painted. 

IMG-20200725-105726.jpg

• Like 3

Really struggling with this one, this is my second attempt at painting him and I'm really not happy, the chest webbing I just can not get to look right and the green skin is not helping things so its going in a bath of IPA...... 

I did paint the sheild last night and that looks great oh well.... 

IMG-20200726-100407.jpg
IMG-20200726-100504.jpg

• Like 1

OK time to start again just blocked out a few parts, the painted sheild making sure I got lot of texture in there. It ended up a bit darker than I wanted but it should be OK when it's all finished. Then blocked out the NMM parts and then mapped out the low and high lights. 

Still unsure what to do about the skin, any thoughts or ideas? 

IMG-20200727-141946.jpg
IMG-20200727-151938.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a few WIP pictures as a ref as I built up the colours. Wanted to keep it dark and this one is obviously the baddy. The skin tone was influenced by @vindicareassassin Rat catcher after seeing his brilliant painting, definitely worth a look for in the RFI section.

Still the fur and NNM to finish and I will probably do a bit more faffy about before its finished. 

Any comments are welcome

Cheers Brian. 

IMG-20200727-151938.jpg
IMG-20200727-195716.jpg
IMG-20200728-105147.jpg
dav.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Here are a few WIP pictures as a ref as I built up the colours. Wanted to keep it dark and this one is obviously the baddy. The skin tone was influenced by @vindicareassassin Rat catcher after seeing his brilliant painting, definitely worth a look for in the RFI section.

Still the fur and NNM to finish and I will probably do a bit more faffy about before its finished. 

Any comments are welcome

Cheers Brian. 

IMG-20200727-151938.jpg
IMG-20200727-195716.jpg
IMG-20200728-105147.jpg
dav.jpg

If you want inspiration for pallid, undead flesh see if you can find my Necromancer bust, he's more in the colour tones you've chosen here. 

If I can critique your NMM, it doesn't read right, I'd put the main highlight in the bottom half of the blade, with a darker reflective light towards the end of the blade and another about a quarter of the length down from the top, the flat side I'd put the dark opposite the blade main highlight, and it's highlight at the bottom and top but don't make it as bright as the blade main highlight. 

All the best 

Sean

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Any comments are welcome

Cheers Brian. 

I've just re-looked more in depth at your final image of the NMM and skin.... The skin I'm nicking back off you, my next project is the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse and that dark purple will look good on either death or famine. 

The NMM, can I suggest you also use some glazes following the actual blade length rather than across it, in the direction it would have been sharpened, and also line in where the flat and blade meet in a mid-tone, there's no distinction there and it all blends in one. Damn it's harder to explain than do.... 

Paint bravely my friend 😉

Sean

• Thanks 1

@vindicareassassin

20 hours ago, vindicareassassin said:

If I can critique your NMM,

Critique away... Oh you have done.... 😁

Really appreciate you input particularly with the NNM as it's very new to me and any help and pionters are gladly received. So I had a go at the axe that I'm to particularly happy with just not sure why at the moment, but have fitted his cape and mounted him on his base, I might come back to axe later. 

Quick pick of my two favourite things to build and paint giant robots and little figures. 

IMG-20200729-112852.jpg
IMG-20200729-113002.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

Better picture. 

dav.jpg

I've been looking at this now for 15 minutes or more, mainly because I keep getting drawn away by the excellent finish of the overall peice so I eventually had to just focus in on the axe..... 

I think I have it.... Not enough opposing contrast, where the highlights are are only being opposed by a mid-tone, you need the high contrast to get NMM to read right. Looking at your axe I'd deepen the shadows a little more and glaze in an area on the flat slightly darker but opposite the main highlight on the blade, then push the highlights up on the blade. That way you don't stray to far from the flats mid tone and it should push the contrast a bit more. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vindicareassassin said:

I keep getting drawn away by the excellent finish of the overall peice

That is extremely nice of you to say so and your point about the axe I think is spot on, I just couldn't see it myself. Might have a tinker later. 

Really appreciate you input with this one. 

Cheers Brian. 

Bben up in the loft today and retrieved this box to make a shadow box, have a strip of flat LED lights to light the inside and I will make some sort of diorama for the inside.

Should be fun to make, any pointers or recommendations for the inside please let me know. 

Cheers Brian 

IMG-20200801-111724.jpg

• Like 1

So I have been away for a week but I'm back now and I had a go with some water colours and pen to make a backdrop for the shadow box. Gone with a sort fantasy portal and I will add some dark trees in the min grownd. Not sure if these will be cut outs from card or make some flat tree armatures. 

dav.jpg

• Like 3