Bronze Green.

Rick Brown

Chaps.

I'm doing a tracked thing (I know, right!) and was wondering about a good match for Bronze Green on 1950's British vehicles. I'm talking Centurion/FV4005 here.

I mostly use acrylics, but lately I've been using more enamel and lacquer paint

Rick.

Hi Rick,

I'm a big fan of the Mister Paint range. MRP-341 Deep Bronze Green No24 should suit your needs. I used it on my Conqueror which is from the same time period. 

It is an airbrush ready lacquer paint. They go down very smoothly but need a few thin coats to build up opacity and give a nice semi gloss finish.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Cheers Wayne.

I'm trying to find something close in my stash at the moment. I'm not tight, but P+P on a couple of bottles of paint is horrendous!

Tamiya quote XF-61 for their Chieftain. I do have that available, but it looks not quite right to me!

I'll mix a few colours up and see what I come up with, but I may end up placing an order. 

Who's cheap on Mr Paint's in the uk?

Rick

It is a bit pricey but I have found their colours to be pretty accurate as far as I can tell and I'm too lazy to bothered messing around trying to get a mix that I'm happy with. I try to make up an order to reduce the postage costs.

https://www.premiumhobbies.co.uk/mrpaint/basics

https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/mrp-341-deep-bronze-green-no24-british-wwii-afv-30ml.html

Cheers Wayne.

I've got a quote for P+P from Premium. 

£4.

That's not too bad. I'll have a look at getting a few other bits and bobs at the same time.

BTW, is this ok to brush paint as well?

Rick.

5 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Cheers Wayne.

I'm trying to find something close in my stash at the moment. I'm not tight, but P+P on a couple of bottles of paint is horrendous!

Tamiya quote XF-61 for their Chieftain. I do have that available, but it looks not quite right to me!

I'll mix a few colours up and see what I come up with, but I may end up placing an order. 

Who's cheap on Mr Paint's in the uk?

Rick

DBG actually changed colour through its life as the high lead content was reduced. XF-61 is an option for the period you want, I have used it as recently as my Gas Turbine Conqueror build. It is too dark for the DBG used on the early Chieftains. Humbrol 75 with a gloss coat used to be the recommendation but I think Humbrol changed the formula as it seems far to 'brown' these days. I have seen Tamiya X-13 suggested. It is also flat so would need a gloss coat.

My current Conqueror build is in the painting stage at present. I started the painting during lockdown so had to make do with what I had in stock. Was going to use XF-61 as I had some but really wanted to avoid having to apply a gloss coat so I decided to mix my own using Humbrol 195 as the base with Humbrol 15 to blue it up a bit and a splash of 33 to darken it. It is nearer to how I see DBG than anything else I have used.

But given the vagaries of the human eyeball, the unreliability of memory, the innacuracies of colour printing and photography, and the fact that even if you were to obtain some of the original paint it probably would not look right on a model I guess whatever you think looks right is all that matters!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave.

I do have XF-13, which is probably what you're referring to? That is a flat coat, but I'n not fussed about that. It'll be mixed with my special gloss recipe 😉.

I've just done a swatch with various greens on it and I'll check in good light tomorrow, but I think it'll be a good enough match for me.

It'll have a bit of weathering anyway, so won't cause too much offence to the rivet counters!

I really do want to use what's in my stash, so I can avoid P+P if I can.

Cheers all,

Rick.

• Like 1

Go for it! It is hard to find good contemporary colour reference for early fifties armour, and I never rely on restored/museum pics.

While trying to mix a colour for my Conqueror I Googled some soft skin vehicles and got a good example of the problem of colour matching when I pulled up a page of Green Goddess pics and had every shade of green imaginable appear!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

BTW, is this ok to brush paint as well?

Not really. As it comes airbrush ready it's quite thin which can be a bit of a problem when touching up or painting small detail parts.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update to this one.

I now have the MRP DBG, but I can't say I'm overly impressed so far.

It just doesn't have the covering power on large surfaces. At this rate I'll need a couple of bottles for one kit!

I'll give the Tamiya a go, I have loads of that and can make it gloss quite easily.

I'm sure MRP will be good for some subjects, or smaller items, but I just don't have the patience to spend hours on the same colour.

It's kind of like ALcald. As in there's very little pigment and to much carrier (Is that the word I'm looking for? It's been a long day...).

I know I can whack up the pressure on Tamiya and it'll cover well very quickly.

Rick.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, colin said:

That's the trouble when you have large areas to cover, try he Tamiya as the initial colour and go back over with the MRP

You were reading my mind 😉 !

I've done a few tests and they do seem to behave with each other. 

Rick.

• Like 1

'Morning Rick. At the beginning of your post, you said that you were talking about the colour carried by Centurions in the 50s. Does that mean that you are building a Centurion, and if so, what mark? If it's a Mk.lll as used in Korea, they were still finished in SCC15 I believe.

John.

• Thanks 1

Morning John.

I'm actually building the Amusing Hobby's FV4005.

So it's a 1951 build of Centurion, which ever one that would be!

Sorry, not a Centurion man, not much clue as to their marks.

The XF-61 looks a good match to the MRP Bronze green so far.

Rick.

• Like 1

Morning Rick,

I had the same dilemma ...ended up with Mr Hobby Aqua colour  H309 …. fs 34079 . Hey and what about scale colour...…...……...….. runs for cover to hide :whistle:

HTH

Dick

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mbthejester said:

I quite like the Hataka range, not been modelling very long, but looking at theirs and having painted full size vehicles looks pretty good to me. 

cheers

Mark

I really like their Orange line

Not tried those, love the Blue and Red, gave me the confidence to get my first airbrush, only just started hobby again after 25 years I think, whats the airbrushing like with Orange - Thinning ? 

cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hannants Xtracrylix has bronze green covered in their range, XA1814 and XA1815, used by some very pedantic modellers on their Cents, their range is pretty authentic for UK paint colours.

• Like 1