Started the Stash.

Parrish

Hello to all,

Now I am retired I have recently returned to modelling.

In preparation for retirement I prepared myself a stash of 125 mainly 1/72 aircraft kit's of all eras and manufacturer and age of kit, they all await their fate over the coming years.

I started and completed 6 of the Airfix Spitfire series which I will soon post in the Ready For Inspection thread, I thought it would be a good idea to get my hands and eyes back in on a few modern kit's, oh how my fingers have got fatter over the years! and my eyesight poorer, or have the aircraft shrunk!!!! maybe when I can get on with some of the larger twin and 4 engine kits they will be kinder to me. I have a small selection of 1/72 resin and vacu-form which ive never attempted before, they should be fun when I get around to them!  I intend most of them to be OOTB builds, only buying Decals where I need them due to yellowing of existing ones.

Displaying of completed models is going to be an issue, I am sure many of us have that problem, I have a 1/72 'Monogram' 'Peacemaker which I took a peak in the box at the other day, that alone if I completed that it would fill my snug!

Question: Which of the threads here can we use to ask for help and advice? Ill be needing it.

Regards

Steve

dT397K1.png

• Like 4

Work in Progress allows you to "ask as you go". If you provide photos of the work you are doing, people can see what needs doing.

There is a "Tools and Tips" forum which contains a "Modelling Tips" sub forum.

Hello! It is good to have you here. 

On the topic of yellowing decals, one trick which often works is popping them in a ziplock bag and taping the bag to a (preferably south facing) window. The UV light will bleach them back to clear over a week or so.

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Work in Progress allows you to "ask as you go". If you provide photos of the work you are doing, people can see what needs doing.

There is a "Tools and Tips" forum which contains a "Modelling Tips" sub forum.

Thanks Eric, found it.

1 hour ago, OutcastJoel said:

Hello! It is good to have you here. 

On the topic of yellowing decals, one trick which often works is popping them in a ziplock bag and taping the bag to a (preferably south facing) window. The UV light will bleach them back to clear over a week or so.

Good Tip, ill give it a try I have plenty to choose from!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 11:09 AM, Parrish said:

oh how my fingers have got fatter over the years! and my eyesight poorer, or have the aircraft shrunk!!!!

Welcome. This made me smile. I'm not in bad nick for 51, but I took ten years off modelling in that time both my eyesight and my manual dexterity have deteriorated spectacularly. 

Welcome aboard.

The dexterity will return (practise makes perfect).  As for eyesight, I too suffer with age related problems.  So, whenever I get new glasses I also buy a pair with "close up" lenses.  Makes all the difference.

BTW, love the old car.  What make and model is it?

Trevor

1 minute ago, klubman01 said:

As for eyesight, I too suffer with age related problems.

I bought one of those magnifying visor thingies recently and it was (literally) a revelation. However my wife openly mocks me whenever I'm wearing it. In fairness, t does have "TOOLZONE" in big letters across the front of it. No need to spell it out.