Appliance White

ADM43

Morning all, for anyone who use Appliance white spray cans from Halfords, just a heads up that they are discontinuing it. According to Halfords, they will produce an equivalent ‘gloss’ white, but it may not be exactly the same thing. So if anyone uses it, it may be worth going to your local store and stocking up, before it’s all gone. Don’t know if this is already known about,  but having trying to buy a tin yesterday, I spoke to Halfords customer service, and that’s what they told me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

According to their customer services, it’s been discontinued, and the reason it’s no longer listed on their website. Did say there would be a new equivalent to replace it, but the guy didn’t know if it would be the same stuff, just marketed in a different can.

The last few cans I've had of it have been pretty poor so I must admit I've turned to using their white primer and gloss coating that instead. 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 2

Hi,

If the replacement isn't any good or you're after something cheaper I can recommend this stuff from Aldi £2.99

spacer.png

Only problem with Aldi products is they're not always available so you have to stock up when they are.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1

I used to use it a lot for white rally cars, but it took a while to dry and I sometimes used to get fingerprints when it was handled. I tend to use either Tamiya TS-26 on aerosol or any other lacquer white through the airbrush, such as Mr Color, Gaia Notes or even the new Tamiya LP range. They all have a good basic white in their range and if anything, they're easier to use, give a better finish and dry a lot faster for easier handling..

3 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks for the update, though Halfords are click and collect only currently so not quite so simple to stock up 

Not sure where you live, but my local Halfords is open. You can go to the door of the store and they'll pick the items you want there and then for purchase..

• Thanks 1

I always use Tamiya fine white primer, and then give it a couple of coats of Tamiya gloss from my airbrush, I tend to see Halfords appliance white as to glossy for the scale especially 1/72 but is my own opinion though

5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks for the update, though Halfords are click and collect only currently so not quite so simple to stock up 

Yeah had the same issue, because it’s not on website anymore, you can’t click and collect. What I did was spoke to customer services via the ‘Live chat’. Very helpful I have to say, they contacted my local store direct, from their end with the query, and the store called me the next morning, to say they had 2 cans in stock and they would put them aside for me. I went and picked them up and paid for them via contactless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last week I did click and collect on the Halfords website and ordered two cans of "Halfords Gloss White Spray Paint 500ml". As I expected I received Appliance White when I picked it up from the store.  I don't ever remember the website referring to "Appliance White" and as far as I know Halfords only sell one variety of acrylic gloss white which isn't part of their car range.

It will be a bit of a bummer if Appliance White does go and we have to find an alternative but there are plenty of other spray can whites on the market. I would be more concerned if Racking Grey was under threat.

• Like 1

Sounds more like a rebrand to me than anything else, I can't see them not having a gloss white product in their range.  there will be more folk looking for a gloss white product than pondering what 'appliance white'is. I venture it will be the same paint but in a different can so nothing to get too concerened about.

I agree straight from the can it is too glossy for 72 and far too glossy for 144, but it does tone down nicely with a clear satin or matt top coat. I partictulary like the Games Workshop satin as it lasts an eternity due to the size of the can and gives a nice realistic finish.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

What do you use racking grey for as a matter of interest?

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

And as Light Aircraft Grey and Light Gull Gray are basically interchangeable (I know of a manufacturer which use the same paint for both) for 36440 too.

Thanks for the info.

Racking Grey is the best spray can match to Boeing Grey.

It matches Canadian Voodoo Grey FS16515 and is a noticeably different colour from Light Gull Grey FS16440 (or 36440).

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Guess I'll switch over to airbrushing my white V Bombers

It is a racing certainty that one will not be able to tell the difference between the deceased appliance white and the new boy in the hood gloss white.

Tommo.

59 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Racking Grey is the best spray can match to Boeing Grey.

It matches Canadian Voodoo Grey FS16515 and is a noticeably different colour from Light Gull Grey FS16440 (or 36440).

I use Tamyia grey primer for Boeing grey, I find it very close indeed.

Tommo.

2 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I use Tamyia grey primer for Boeing grey, I find it very close indeed.

Tommo.

I know you aren't the only modeller who gets good results from that but I use Halfords primer and Racking Grey because they are significantly cheaper and I can buy them locally instead of a 40 minute drive to the nearest Tamiya stockist who is almost always sold out of primer. The "correct" colour of Boeing Grey is a whole can of worms on its own even before you consider that colour perception can have a significant personal element. The only thing which really matters is that we are each happy with our own models.

32 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I know you aren't the only modeller who gets good results from that but I use Halfords primer and Racking Grey because they are significantly cheaper and I can buy them locally instead of a 40 minute drive to the nearest Tamiya stockist who is almost always sold out of primer. The "correct" colour of Boeing Grey is a whole can of worms on its own even before you consider that colour perception can have a significant personal element. The only thing which really matters is that we are each happy with our own models.

Absolutely,

Halfords is better value than Tamyia paints by some margin. My view is unless one is careful its easy to lay thick coat down other than its wonderful.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 2 weeks later...

I resprayed an old Canberra in Appliance Gloss White last week, 708782 are the last 6 on the barcode. That does take a few days to cure... I assume that is the one they are now selling.

While we are at it, what is the best alternative for Humbrol Light Aircraft Grey.. They only do 163 Dark Green and 165 Medium Sea Grey in a rattle can as far as I can see online. 

I tried Racking grey last year but decided it was far too light any alternates

T1

1 minute ago, Tornado 01 said:

I resprayed an old Canberra in Appliance Gloss White last week, 708782 are the last 6 on the barcode. That does take a few days to cure... I assume that is the one they are now selling...

That was the problem I always had with the Halfords paints, they seemed to take a while to dry and always had a bit of stickiness even when left for a week or more. When I sprayed in the winter months they also used to 'bloom' and take on the moisture from the winter air, going matt in appearance. If you have an airbrush and necessary mask and stuff I much prefer the Mr Color white, or any lacquer finish. They spray very nicely and are dry and can be handled within an hour of spraying. Very helpful if you're wanting to build quickly, although I know some people do prefer to go slowly..