Boeing B-377 vs C-97

I would say that the only issue to sort is the fuselage windows. 

How has Academy dealt with this on the kit? 

Do you have openings and transparencies supplied? 

I think some airliners had square windows, eg. United Airlines. 

Others had round. 

As far as I know the kit has no interior to worry about. 

Academy made, and I think it's still available, a 377 in 1/72 scale. You'll need new decals though. The ones in my kit wouldn't stick after they were applied.

IIRC, the props, spinners, and exhausts were different between the C-97A and the 377; I also seem to recall the wheel hubs were different as well. There was a build on the 'net a while back using the Academy 377 that discussed the differences- you could do a search for it. Cobra models, who went out of business but whose molds were picked up by Lone Star Models, did 1/72 resin conversion sets with correct props, cowlings, and wheels. You might check with Mike at LS to see when/if he will be re-releasing them. See the links below for comparison photos as well as a very interesting history and accident reports of some well-publicized 377 accidents. When I was eight, our family flew in a MATS C-97A from Johnson AB, Japan to Travis AB, California via Hickam AB in Hawaii. Got to sit in the co-pilot's seat for a few hours over the Pacific at night- what a thrill, and those exhausts were really spectacular at night!

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-97_Stratofreighter#/media/File:109th_Air_Transport_Squadron_Boeing_C-97A_Stratofreighter_49-2607.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Boeing_377_Stratocruiser_(B-29)_American_Overseas_1949-50.jpg

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/boeing-377-stratocruiser/

http://www.bubbamoose.com/models_academy_b-377

• Like 3

It is certainly possible, and I also have an Academy C-97 which is earmarked for the conversion.  One day...

In addition to the points mentioned above, note that the doors onto the lower deck are on the opposite side on a 377 to the C-97.  Same places, just a mirror image.

The props were a vexed issue throughout the Stratocruiser's early career (and the C-97), and there will have been a variety of configurations, maybe on the same aircraft at different times.  Careful checking of photographs is called for.  In a nutshell, the problem was the size of the propellors.  They needed to be so large to absorb the power from the R.4360 that they also had to be hollow and lightweight (=thin skinned) to avoid being too heavy.  Such large, hollow blades created their own problems, one of which was condensation forming internally, which tended to 'rot' the blade.  You don't want to be nearby if an R.4360 sheds a blade at full power...  After a number of attempts, the solution eventually adopted was to drill holes in the tips so that any condensation was thrown out as the prop turned.  It's that which gave the aircraft it's unusual, characteristic sound.

I have the Cobra set, and it's really quite good, and with patience, you'll likely see Lone Star re-mold it.  They are, however, on hiatus, so do check their web-site frequently, or see if anyone is offering on EvilBay.  Based on experience, I urge all concerned to make sure that the wheels are "in round" upon receipt.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:57 AM, modelldoc said:

It's not an easy kit,

I can vouch for that. I really like the Stratotanker/Stratocruiser line of airplanes but the Academy 1/72 offering of the 377 at least proved to be a bear to build, at least for me. In fairness, I've seen some lovely builds of the tanker and the Stratocruiser and the builders didn't mention any major issues, so maybe it was my ham fistedness.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:10 AM, SAT69 said:

Academy made, and I think it's still available, a 377 in 1/72 scale. You'll need new decals though. The ones in my kit wouldn't stick after they were applied.

This is the answer to that sort of hassle, you could use decal with the glue totally washed off with this method & they'll go on & settle down a treat. 

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I can vouch for that. I really like the Stratotanker/Stratocruiser line of airplanes but the Academy 1/72 offering of the 377 at least proved to be a bear to build, at least for me. In fairness, I've seen some lovely builds of the tanker and the Stratocruiser and the builders didn't mention any major issues, so maybe it was my ham fistedness.

Looking at these two quoted posts made over a month apart, you seem to have changed the font you use in your posts. Its not a problem when I'm on my PC as I am now, but when I'm on my phone, it displays your posts in a tight cursive writing script & on the smaller screen I find it well nigh impossible to read. Not sure if I'm the only one thus affected but if you went back to your May font I wouldn't complain. ;) I'd like to be able to read your posts. :)

Steve.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Let me know if this is easier to read on small screens, please.

Perfect, that appears the same on both devices. Why the other font should appear so weird on my phone I'm hanged if I know. Thanks for that.

Steve.

• Like 1