As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
ivan ferrando

Boeing B-377 vs C-97

?'ve just bought the Academy C-97A in 1/72.

I was wondering in is possible to convert it in a Civil B-377

thanks

I would say that the only issue to sort is the fuselage windows. 

How has Academy dealt with this on the kit? 

Do you have openings and transparencies supplied? 

I think some airliners had square windows, eg. United Airlines. 

Others had round. 

As far as I know the kit has no interior to worry about. 

Academy made, and I think it's still available, a 377 in 1/72 scale. You'll need new decals though. The ones in my kit wouldn't stick after they were applied.

IIRC, the props, spinners, and exhausts were different between the C-97A and the 377; I also seem to recall the wheel hubs were different as well. There was a build on the 'net a while back using the Academy 377 that discussed the differences- you could do a search for it. Cobra models, who went out of business but whose molds were picked up by Lone Star Models, did 1/72 resin conversion sets with correct props, cowlings, and wheels. You might check with Mike at LS to see when/if he will be re-releasing them. See the links below for comparison photos as well as a very interesting history and accident reports of some well-publicized 377 accidents. When I was eight, our family flew in a MATS C-97A from Johnson AB, Japan to Travis AB, California via Hickam AB in Hawaii. Got to sit in the co-pilot's seat for a few hours over the Pacific at night- what a thrill, and those exhausts were really spectacular at night!

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-97_Stratofreighter#/media/File:109th_Air_Transport_Squadron_Boeing_C-97A_Stratofreighter_49-2607.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Boeing_377_Stratocruiser_(B-29)_American_Overseas_1949-50.jpg

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/boeing-377-stratocruiser/

http://www.bubbamoose.com/models_academy_b-377

It is certainly possible, and I also have an Academy C-97 which is earmarked for the conversion.  One day...

In addition to the points mentioned above, note that the doors onto the lower deck are on the opposite side on a 377 to the C-97.  Same places, just a mirror image.

The props were a vexed issue throughout the Stratocruiser's early career (and the C-97), and there will have been a variety of configurations, maybe on the same aircraft at different times.  Careful checking of photographs is called for.  In a nutshell, the problem was the size of the propellors.  They needed to be so large to absorb the power from the R.4360 that they also had to be hollow and lightweight (=thin skinned) to avoid being too heavy.  Such large, hollow blades created their own problems, one of which was condensation forming internally, which tended to 'rot' the blade.  You don't want to be nearby if an R.4360 sheds a blade at full power...  After a number of attempts, the solution eventually adopted was to drill holes in the tips so that any condensation was thrown out as the prop turned.  It's that which gave the aircraft it's unusual, characteristic sound.

I have the Cobra set, and it's really quite good, and with patience, you'll likely see Lone Star re-mold it.  They are, however, on hiatus, so do check their web-site frequently, or see if anyone is offering on EvilBay.  Based on experience, I urge all concerned to make sure that the wheels are "in round" upon receipt.  

Wow a lot of informations, thank you to everibody, now i’ll  study 

if the conversion is too difficult i will do it in military version (my kit)

I think that the hard part is to figure out the door and windows configuration 😀