1/72 Airfix Beaufighter Mk X 455SQN RAAF.

Hello all,

Here is my recent completion, a 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter using DK Decals to show a 455SQN RAAF machine. I didn't lash out on this one, just masking tape for the seat belts and EZ line for the antennae. I also learnt that it is very difficult to mask and airbrush straight lines. I've only done this once on a 1/72 Typhoon which I did a few years ago, but with a bigger aircraft comes more paint (and finger prints). 

Also here is a handy tip. If you airbrush yellow paint make sure the airbrush is super super clean before your spray your gloss cote, even if you have cleaned it thoroughly. Otherwise after a pass over the white invasion stripe it may or may not end up with a yellow tinge to it (so I have heard from someone :wall:). But after a little bit of weathering it blended in. 

I like how the colour turned out which is lucky because I just started the Airfix Phantom FG.1. I also have another Beaufighter which will be a 31SQN RAAF aircraft from the same DK Decal sheet and in the same colours. 

Thanks for looking, stay safe and wash your hands!

Jay Gee.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 32

That's splendid! Very nicely done. Can I make a suggestion though that such a fine model would be done betterb photographic justice with a nicer background? Maybe if you took it outside you could get some light on it and make it look ready for take off.

Thanks for the kind words people.

@woody37 I think I've learnt the fine balancing act to stop weathering when it almost looks like it needs more. 

@Aces High I admit my photography skills do need some work. Plus weather has been strange for the last few days, cold, wet and wintery in the "dry" season.

• Like 1

Cracking job on a great kit and subject. I like the different cowling ring colours and overall finish. She's turned out a winner! 

Cheers and enjoy the open pubs!!!.. Dave 

Thanks @Rabbit Leader I'm happy how the collector ring turned out. Next time i might mist the white on a little lighter. 

Here is a link to a picture of UB-E in action on the fantastic ADF Serials site.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/455-Beaufighter/IWM_MH_5117

I've been looking forward to a good chicken parmi and beer!

• Like 1