Airfix Shenyang J-5, Vietnam People's Air Force

Goood moorniiing Viee.... Britmodeller! :D 

This is my latest build, literally finished just now:

Shenyang J-5, Vietnam People's Air Force,  932 Fighter Reg. Red 3020 (Le Hai) | Tho Xuan August 1969 

Kit: Airfix Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F 'Fresco' (Shenyang J-5) (#A03091)

Scale: 1/72

Aftermarket: None (T-antennas were taken from Hobby Boss MiG-15UTI kit)

Paints: Vallejo Model Color, Model Air & Metal Color, Tamiya Acrylics

Weathering: Flory Models Wash, Mig weathering Products, Tamiya Panel Liners

Really enjoyed this kit, mostly has good details - only thing that is obvious that is missing is the T-shaped antennas under the wings. But I was building Hobby Boss MiG-15UTI at the same time and luckily it has a set of two so I used the other set. Fit was great, only in the nose some extra care was needed.

Painted with Vallejo Metal Color first (Semi Matte Aluminium) followed by Tamiya Clear Coat. Thin layer of Vallejo Chipping Medium applied to selected places, followed by thin layer of Vallejo 71.2289 US Dark Green. Camo spots painted with Tamiya XF-27 Black Green. Chipped the paint using small stiff brush, applied the decals & weathered lightly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And some comparison shots with F-105 Thunderchief:

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you like it! Comments & constructive criticism welcomed :) 

• Like 41

Gee thanks Reini.  Now I want to take a hammer to the Airfix Fresco I built when I look at your`s here. 😉  Just a superb rendition and accurately weathered to perfection.  

Outstanding Reini!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

• Like 1

Like it?  No, I love it! 😀 That is a fantastic MiG-17 Reini!  It's another of your beautiful models sir! :clap2: I really like your paint chipping technique and want to try to learn that method.  Thanks for the info.  That paint scheme is one of several attributed to NVAF ace Le Hai.  Or so I discovered when researching my own NVAF MiG-17.   I don't know if he had several different mounts or if research is unclear but that scheme looks great on your bird!   I find it very interesting that the Fresco held its own against more modern U.S. fighters and have always considered it my favorite of the Mikoyan-Gurevich works.

my 3020

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Like it?  No, I love it! 😀 That is a fantastic MiG-17 Reini!  It's another of your beautiful models sir! :clap2: I really like your paint chipping technique and want to try to learn that method.  Thanks for the info.  That paint scheme is one of several attributed to NVAF ace Le Hai.  Or so I discovered when researching my own NVAF MiG-17.   I don't know if he had several different mounts or if research is unclear but that scheme looks great on your bird!   I find it very interesting that the Fresco held its own against more modern U.S. fighters and have always considered it my favorite of the Mikoyan-Gurevich works.

my 3020

Well, yours is a stunning looking build, very true to the original. To be honest, I did not do much research for this, I trusted what Airfix had to offer. But I have couple books on the way, I think I might delve little deeper on these North Vietnamese MiG's. Looking forwards the Vietnam Group Build later this year :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reini said:

Well, yours is a stunning looking build, very true to the original. To be honest, I did not do much research for this, I trusted what Airfix had to offer. But I have couple books on the way, I think I might delve little deeper on these North Vietnamese MiG's. Looking forwards the Vietnam Group Build later this year :) 

Thanks a lot reini!  🍻 I'm glad you liked her.  Wouldn't those two look good together?  😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Thanks a lot reini!  🍻 I'm glad you liked her.  Wouldn't those two look good together?  

For sure! :D Mine would look a tad small, though :P But you make a good point, I always like to display planes next to each other. One of the reasons I want more North Vietnamese MiGs. I have 17PF, 19S, 21PF, 21PFM & 21MF waiting in the stash :) And I would not be surprised If I get more of these Airfix MiG-17's, I really liked the kit.