Next up from the Wednesday trip to the airport is another Testors kit from Hawk, this time from 1960.  My Testors kit was issued in 1982.   The aircraft is the well-known rocket-powered interceptor, the Me163 Komet, in 1/48 scale.    This kit had only about 25 pieces and the instruction sheet had good four-view drawings for four different color schemes and some actually pretty good decaling and weathering tips.  I chose the simplest of the four:  Me-163B-O V-41, Eprobungskommando 16, Bad Zwischenahn, May 1944. (flown on first operational Komet mission according to the instruction's notes)   I believe I’ve read that the all-red paintwork was done as a tribute to the World War One ace, the "Red Baron", Manfred von Richthofen.

The only addition I made to the kit was adding the two cannon barrels.  Other than that, it was straight OOB.   I remember building this in the winter of 1989-90 at the kitchen table of my grandmother’s house where we lived while our house was being finished, and she was living in a nursing home.

Again, I added a poorly painted ground crewman (never thought he would see the light of day...), from the Monogram Me-262 kit to add a sense of the true size of the little “power egg”; a plane that seemed as dangerous to its pilots as it was to the enemy.   I knew a former WWII top-turret gunner in a B-17, here in our hometown.  I once asked him if he had seen any of the German jets or rocket planes.  He said he had but they were so fast, he was never sure if he had hit any! 

The wind played hob with the Komet at the airport.   It wobbles on its take-off dolly anyway and the wind kept it moving up and down.  I expect some pics might be a bit blurry.  I expected her to actually take flight any minute, lol.    That photo session was cut pretty short and I only got a few pics but that’s okay.   The model isn’t really worth too many pics at best and I had one more plane to photograph. 😉  So, with no further ado, here’s my Komet at the Cameron Airport.   

Thanks for looking in and please leave comments, good and bad! 😀

dhrZ4xn.jpg

YJ74Bfw.jpg

zaQPSaa.jpg

ugSti6b.jpg

5wblRpp.jpg

qa8Kpt5.jpg

TJbFab4.jpg

BdPSWuJ.jpg

bVCYSly.jpg

pTWjfXI.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 27

5 hours ago, Walter said:

Nice work,  like photo setups

Thank you Walter!  I appreciate that!  👍

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Nice job Gary. It looks great with the hangar in the background.

Gorby!  Hey thanks so much old friend; that's finally one o' mine you've not seen before, right?  😀  The hangar shots would've been better I think without the modern vehicles in the background. 😉   But it is a public airport and not my own playground after all.  The nerve of those folks!  😁

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

For an old model Gary it looks very good. Definitely has aged well. 

Thanks my Kiwi buddy!   That means a lot to me Greg.   Lol, she's definitely aged better than her builder. 🤣

2 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

You have done the old gal proud Gary!!!!!  Well done my friend!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

And thank you Mike!   I really appreciate your kind comments, made my day! 🍻

I appreciate all your kind words my friends!  It really does make an old modeler feel good about his meager skills.   Just to be in company of such amazing artists here at BM is a thrill and a pleasure for me.

Tomorrow, I'll have something a bit more modern and also a "photo virgin" to post.  The third member of our airport trip waits in the wings. :pirate:

• Like 1

Super Komet, Gary! I like the colour, a unique kind of red. It looks as if one of the captured planes was moved to Cameron 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Super Komet, Gary! I like the colour, a unique kind of red. It looks as if one of the captured planes was moved to Cameron 😀

Thanks Michael!   Much appreciated, thanks for the encouragement and support. 🍻  I think that red might've been ModelMaster Insignia Red, not too sure tho' now.  

Yeah, who knew the Red Baron would end up in central Texas?!?  😉

Yippie-ti-yi-yay!  :cowboy:  :pilot:

20 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Way to go, Gary! Really like the scheme, as the same two or three sets of markings are done to death! The old warrior cleaned up well- you should be proud!

Mike

Thanks for that Mike! 👍  Glad you liked the scheme and the old plane!    Means a lot to me.  :clap2:

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice work Gary Ive always like the Red Komet but I know the pilot didn't. 

Thanks for that comment Dennis (right?), I really appreciate that! 👍

21 minutes ago, reini said:

That is an impressive build on it's own - but I gotta admire your phography too. It really makes these models come alive :)

That's very kind of you to say reini! 😀  Thank you sincerely for the nice compliments!   It is hard to beat a real airport for an "authentic" background; I'm very fortunate to be able to use that...and I'm lucky that it always makes the models look better than they are😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Gary,

amazing Kraftei. I always love this sceme, but never build one like this!  Perfect scene with this blue sky! 
all the best

Andy

Thanks so much my friend! 😀 I would love to see your version of this iconic plane and red scheme; I suspect that would be extraordinary.   Please consider adding one to your building queue!   I am so glad you commented on the old rocket plane. 🍻

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, thorfinn said:

I missed this on the first go-round. Beautiful work on the model...and your airport scenery really sells the image!

Well done!

Thanks thorfinn!   I really appreciate the compliments and the encouragement!  🥃

And thanks also to all who left recent likes!   Much appreciated I assure you. :worthy: