Focke Wulf Fw-190A-4/U8 extra recognition lights

Fernando

Hallo, gentlemen,

While building some of Eduard's new 190As, I came across a 190A-4/U8 (the ones with the external fuel tanks under the wings) "Red 9" belonging to 2.SKG 10, which landed by mistake at RAF Manston on 20 May 1943 (Geez, seventy-seven years from YESTERDAY!) The Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report mentions an extra recognition light fitted in the central fuselage just forward the tailplanes (which was smashed together to the tailwheel in the landing) and another, Green recognition light fitted in the undersurface of the starboard wing, in line to the cannon and right behind the main spar. It can only refer to the inboard cannon (outboard were not fitted and the Träger for the external tanks were right there over the panel)

To my reckoning, that location would interfere with the shell case ejection port .

Any of the readership has any other data on this? Was it a purely experimental, unique installation, or a fairly common fitting to those night flying 190s? Would a 190A-5/U8 (like the one in the Jabo boxing, "White 6") be similarly fitted?

Thank you to  you all,

FErnando (fifty-ined at Buenos Aires...)

Edited by Fernando

If you have" Luftwaffe hit-and-run raiders" by Chris Goss, you'll see 3 photos and a coloured profile on Page 36/37. there is a small bulge below after fuselage(not mentioned on profile), same position as the black arrow to lift up the tail. So this would probably be the" recognition light fitted in the central fuselage just forward the tailplanes " in your post.

When we turn to A-5/U8 "white 6" (also captured), there was a bulge at same place (Page 41), so I believe it was the light.

another, Green recognition light fitted in the undersurface of the starboard wing:

Middle of Page 37 showed photo taken from starboard with British markings, without right inner wing gun. But we cannot infer it was original version, cause pylon removed. Perhaps all armaments removed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, fernandocouto,

Thank you for your attention! 

That's the info I have, though from another source (the volume "Holding the West" from the series "Jagdwaffe", and "Focke Wulf Fw-190, The Early Years", Frontline). My "objection" to the description given, is that, just behind the main spar in line to the gun you find the case ejector chute opening. So there is hardly any space for a light.

Fernando