Rye Field Challenger II TES MBT

Thanks Ivan

It has Tamiya Dark Brown Panel Liner in all the cracks, crevices and seams followed by some dry brushing with

lighter weathering powders. I think I'll leave it alone now.

After I had glued that little table affair in place on the turret and painted everything NATO Green I realized it

should have been a sand color. Too late and I wasn't going to attempt to mask it so it is green, lol. Should have painted

it separately, oops.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 2

Nice work Lloyd,  as you say not a lot more you could do with it, or need to. 

The slight weathering has toned the Nato green down a touch and broken up the monotone finish.:thumbsup:

Atb

Darryl 

I have been in contact with Ryefield and was told that 87 links shown in the instructions is a mistake. They have told me that there are 80 links per side, but I built a tamiya challenger 2 last year with aftermarket tracks ,and there were 76 links per side.Either way, there will be enough supplied with the kit. Ive yet to start my build.

Martin

I have been in touch with Ryefield, and was told that 87 links per track is a mistake in the instructions, and there are in fact 80 links per side. Ryefield are excellent models, but they do tend to make a lot of instruction mistakes.

Martin

Martin

Even with 80 links they are still not right, mine only took 79 per side and the tracks are not

super tight, there's a little droop at the bottom when you pick it up. At least they give you enough

to finish it with some spares, with 87 per side there just weren't enough. I'm glad I did not go

ahead and assemble 87 links before checking as I actually did 80 and getting that last link

apart to remove it wasn't easy. Just takes a dab of glue to hold them together and they sure do stay together

and very flexible, makes it easier to install them.

Thanks for checking,

Lloyd

5 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Martin

Even with 80 links they are still not right, mine only took 79 per side and the tracks are not

super tight, there's a little droop at the bottom when you pick it up. At least they give you enough

to finish it with some spares, with 87 per side there just weren't enough. I'm glad I did not go

ahead and assemble 87 links before checking as I actually did 80 and getting that last link

apart to remove it wasn't easy. Just takes a dab of glue to hold them together and they sure do stay together

and very flexible, makes it easier to install them.

Thanks for checking,

Lloyd

As I said in one of my posts(they were on twice!) I fitted some Bronco workable tracks to a Tamiya Challenger 2, and there were 76 links per track. I have just completed a Ryefield Abrams with the same type of workable tracks and they are great tracks. I make a jig for building them,and roughly measure what length the tracks will be. I never just assemble them to the number as per instructions,as they may then be too long.

martin

• 1 month later...

I have wanted together this kit since I first saw it announced, it seems like forever ago.  I finally found one in stock at a US hobby shop and ordered it the other day.  I've also ordered the Rye Field photo etch slat armor, AND Fruil tracks in case I don't like the kit tracks.  I haven't found the instructions for the kit on line (they don't seem to be on the Scalemates page for this tank, like they usually are) and I'm wondering what paint color the instructions suggest, and which brands of paint.  I see that some of you have chosen to use NATO Green, though there are several paint manufacturers who make NATO Green, and the colors are not exactly alike.  

Secondly, it doesn't look like the model has anti-slip, and I can't tell if the real tank has anti-slip, from the photos.  Has anyone dealt with this, or know whether it is supposed to have anti-slip?

I've still got 2 Tamiya Challenger 2 Desertized kits, both with a ton of aftermarket stuff, and I"m sure I will still build those as I have planned to, UNLESS this Rye Field kit is CLEARLY superior in accuracy and detail, and also can be 'converted' into a 'regular' Challenger 2, with desert modification, i.e. the same tank as the desertized Tamiya Chally 2.

Edited by Curt B
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 27/05/2020 at 19:26, Ozzy said:

Lloyd, Ive dug out some references pics from the stash of more intresting times in 2007 during Telic 10 in Iraq.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Diorama idea?

image.jpg

These are some great photos. Will come in handy to battle damage my TES. IF your interested, I plan to design it on the theoretical concept of a TES CR2 in urban theatre. Going to try adding a dozer blade and paint it in the gorgeous Berlin Camo. 

• Like 2

On 18/07/2020 at 08:18, Curt B said:

I have wanted together this kit since I first saw it announced, it seems like forever ago.  I finally found one in stock at a US hobby shop and ordered it the other day.  I've also ordered the Rye Field photo etch slat armor, AND Fruil tracks in case I don't like the kit tracks.  I haven't found the instructions for the kit on line (they don't seem to be on the Scalemates page for this tank, like they usually are) and I'm wondering what paint color the instructions suggest, and which brands of paint.  I see that some of you have chosen to use NATO Green, though there are several paint manufacturers who make NATO Green, and the colors are not exactly alike.  

Secondly, it doesn't look like the model has anti-slip, and I can't tell if the real tank has anti-slip, from the photos.  Has anyone dealt with this, or know whether it is supposed to have anti-slip?

I've still got 2 Tamiya Challenger 2 Desertized kits, both with a ton of aftermarket stuff, and I"m sure I will still build those as I have planned to, UNLESS this Rye Field kit is CLEARLY superior in accuracy and detail, and also can be 'converted' into a 'regular' Challenger 2, with desert modification, i.e. the same tank as the deserted Tamiya Chally 2.

From my understanding underneath the barracuda, there would likely be anti slip. This is probably the case as the tanks are constantly repainted for different deployments and all the rest. As a result, even though anti slip makes no sense with barracuda on top, there would be anti slip on these chally's from their use before deployed with all their glorious TES kit. 

I shall be doing anti slip on my tes without any barracuda. Here are the pages from the instructions regarding the paint scheme if you have not already found them. 

6c0db128315086c8553381b503ccb6a3.jpg

Personally I intent to paint it in the Berlin Brigade Camo. Should be a bit of a challenge with the bar armour! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, British Army Platforms said:

These are some great photos. Will come in handy to battle damage my TES. IF your interested, I plan to design it on the theoretical concept of a TES CR2 in urban theatre. Going to try adding a dozer blade and paint it in the gorgeous Berlin Camo. 

That will look fantastic once finished, I look forward to seeing her as she comes to life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 5:04 AM, British Army Platforms said:

Wow, I haven't been at this thread for some time, and MANY THANKS to British Army Platforms for the photos!  They are GREAT, really!  I will ABSOLUTELY be using your photos as a guide to weathering my TES CHally when I finally get around to building it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@British Army Platforms:  Maybe you have more Chally photos that you haven't posted yet?  Even if not, what you HAVE posted already has been great, and again, I'm thrilled to be able to see them! 

Just today, I received my RFM Challenger 2 kit, the 'regular' kit, in addition to the RFM Challenger TES kit that I already have.  Wow, both look to be impressive!  I wanted to tell you how impressed I was with your Berlin camo paint job you did on what I think was an Academy kit?  The paint was extremely well done!  In fact, I was so impressed with your work, I have decided to do my newly arrived RFM regular Chally 2 in the Berlin scheme.  I am really wrestling with how I'm going to do the anti slip, though.  Because the Chally 2 texture, on the real tank, is so uniform, I think I'm going to try my hand at textured paint, which many folks have used and posted over on Armorama, albeit quite some time ago.  It will require a significant amount of masking, though, but I guess that's the price one must pay for semi-realism.  I also got an Accurate Armour resin combat dozer blade for the Berlin camo Chally, though the cost of the dozer blade was almost as much as the RFM kit!  Hope it will be worth it in the end!    

Edited by Curt B
  • Like 1