Another 2K Gloss question

Jasonb13

Hi there,

Just wondering if it's normal that a 2k Gloss product might lose its shine if handled? I've never used the Zero 2K Gloss, but in my limited experience of the AK Ultra Gloss which I have used (and as far as I know is the same 'concept' as Zero 2K), the beautiful high gloss finish I get is, if not lost, then lessened quite a bit, if I handle the piece afterwards. And I mean like a few weeks afterwards even. So much so that my planning for using the Gloss includes making sure it's the very last step and that the piece is then left alone as much as possible from then on.

Is this normal, or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Does it come back if you wipe it with a soft cloth? If it doesn't it may be an issue with the clear itself.  Are your hands clean? Even if you can't feel it you can sometimes have thinner residue on them and that can damage the clearcoat.

You could have a bad batch, maybe it "went off" in the bottles (the hardener can do that sometimes if there's too much air) or maybe you didn't follow the mixing instructions correctly. If you don't follow the exact ratio it might never fully harden. If you try to push your finger nail in it will it leave a mark?

I've used automotive 2K and MRP 2K and the gloss isn't affected by normal handling. 

Keep in mind that despite the appearance of fully cured a clearcoat can take months to become rock hard and solvent resistant (up to a point obviously). I've noticed that with normal varnishes in particular.

4 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

In my experience of Zero 2k it's never been affected by handling or lost any of it's glossiness. It's rock hard when cured and seems  indestructible...

+1 here. About the only thing I've found that will attack 2K is 99% IPA, and then only if it's relatively freshly painted or you leave it in the IPA for literally weeks...

best,

m.