Beaufighter Interiors

Micko

Hi all,

I’m currently in a beaufighter build - 1/32 Revell and Interior features are pretty lame to say the least. I have a model monkeys pilot cockpit and  entrance/radio Resin section which has loads of detail and features but am now onto the observer/radio operators area and I’m looking for photos and details to help scratch build up this area (as assume no kits exist) including so I can open up the access hatch and the observer Perspex any info and details would be much appreciated 

thanks in advance

Greeting from another Canadian and Albertan. I'm up in Fort Mac.

There are not a lot of photos out there, showing that area of Beaufighter, especially from WW2 timeframe.

What I have is mostly drawings and photos from restored aircraft.

49660598807_235c6a059c_b.jpg

49920890876_01c1af8180_o.jpg

49920890841_4ec14860bb_b.jpg

49921203542_8b66e9dfac_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Hey there!

I’m actually in Canmore, but Calgary works😉

That’s a great start! Much appreciated, yeah I have a few pics and finding more all the time but the more the merrier seeing I’m probably having to build this from them!

Ill add this to my collection, i have some good pics of peoples Tamiya interiors from the 1/48 so i,=m going to base mine off that also

• Like 1

I have 3 of these kits acquired over about 30 years and I had the intention of building various marks from the Mk 1 to the Mk 10. One of the kits I managed to score was the Lodella boxing which included the dihedral tailplanes, thimble nose, torpedo and vac cockpit and observers clear parts. I collected as much info as I could from books and the internet with the idea of building the last of the Mk 10's used in anger in Malaya in the late 50's. Long story short I cheated and bought a 1/48 Aries resin interior set (for the Tamiya Beau) and scaled up the various bits ( measure in mm's and x 1.5). I scratched the whole interior which took me 3 years and then just recently Model Monkey produced the 3D printed cockpit (which you have) so now I have a less labour intensive alternative for when I build the other unbuilt kits I have. I don't have photos I can post but there are a number of detail improvements that you can make to improve what is basically a sound if simple kit. More info if required.

TRF

Hey Micko

I'm doing one of these old Revell Bristol Beaufighter kits over on LSM forum. I work there because I can post photos directly from my phone as I'm working on my online build. Please, go check it out. I'm Crankycraftsman over there, and its under works in progress.

I am trying, lets say, to convert it into a MkX Canadian coastal command plane. I have the Model Monkey cockpit and his 12.5° diehdral tail planes, (2) Vector Hercules resin engines, wheels from a Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito (there a perfect match) and alot of scratch building.

I'm in the process of creating the rear observer/gunner's position in CAD so I can print it on my sons Resin printer, the same one that Model Monkey uses. I have the rear floor and the 20mm ammo boxes modeled up and I'm working on the rest right know. If you are interested,  I my be making these for sale. This all depends on how much info I can accumulate on the rear area and how the stuff comes out of the printer, what to charge, etc., etc. So check it out and let me know what you think.

Ron G 

Hi Ron,

thanks so much for that.

would love to take a look at them and if you were offering them up i would love to grab one. I was thinking of doing the same process on a 3D printer but the whole program bit was a little beyond me as of yet.

Are you on the Large scale planes sight you mean?  Tried to find you but know luck

Hey Micko

No, its Large Scale Modeller forum. It's much more friendly than LSP. 

I did Cad work for a living for 15 or so years, and was a draftsman for 20 years before that.

I ran Unigraphics, its called UG nx now. Very expensive and somewhat difficult to learn.

Ron G 

We're creating our own sub-set … Canuck Modellers!

I'm currently working on a Beau, so, here's some info that might be of use ...

interior structure interior structure 2

panel

Image10

Image1

Hope some of this helps ,

Colin

• Like 1

If you know the differences between it and what you want I have a walkaround of the interior of a Mk21 under restoration. PM me your email if you want the pictures.

Edit - I see I have a Mk Ic interior walkaround as well! Again, there will be diffrences.

As far as I know the Mk21is very different from the Mk X. This is the problem that Model Monkey is having trying to figure out all the differences in all the marks.

I have the 1/48 scale Revell Beaufighter that I have been using as a guide, plus as many books and photos that I can glean off of the internet.

Ron G 

Hey Ron 

still waiting for validating on LSM when I do I can chat and look at your progress look forward to seeing it.

i had a lot of success & progress yesterday and I’ll put up some pics 

big thanks to everybody for all the excellent feedback and pics exactly what I needed for references

much appreciated!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Micko said:

Hey Ron 

still waiting for validating on LSM when I do I can chat and look at your progress look forward to seeing it.

i had a lot of success & progress yesterday and I’ll put up some pics 

big thanks to everybody for all the excellent feedback and pics exactly what I needed for references

much appreciated!

Cool, let me know what you think 

Ron G