Potential bar bet material (whenever they re-open): is there such thing as a single-seat T-38 (that isn't an F-5) 😊

I suspect this would've been well before @Old Viper Tester's time, but you're correct about the reason for the back seat being blanked off.  From the tail number, this is airframe 58-1195, which a bit of Google-fu indicates was the fifth pre-production aircraft (so theoretically, a YT-38A).  This bird and 58-1192 were used by the USAF Flight Test Center for Category I stability & control tests at Edwards circa 1960.  At least two other of this quasi-prototype batch also had the single-seat mod at one time, including 58-1194 and the first prototype 58-1191 during spin tests.

My first google searches turned up one photo showing 58-1195 with the blanked canopy, unfortunately I didn't get the bookmark and haven't been able to relocate the link 😕

Interstingly, later in its life 58-1195 (and some others including 58-1194) was converted to QT-38 drone configuration and used for target testing by the U.S. Navy at NAS China Lake. It appears the rear pit was still blanked off at this time:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You also have USN QT-38A 69-1600 from China Lake in 1978 - blanked off rear cockpit, red scheme.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CT7567 said:

you're correct about the reason for the back seat being blanked off.

The pre-production T-38s were dedicated to early flight test, hence the single-seat configuration to allow installation of flight test instrumentation and recording equipment. The T-38, being such a trim design, had no extra space to install the bulky 1950's era instrumentation, so the rear seat was sacrificed on the assembly line. The blanked rear canopy still opened to access the instrumentation. Realizing that these birds were never going to training units, the cockpit fittings were not installed even when the instrumentation was removed - just some lead plates to simulate the seat weight.

29597602_1830825373635050_2142324508038856156_n

58-1192 afftc KEDW 1959

Sven

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 5/31/2020 at 7:23 AM, Max Headroom said:

@Old Viper Tester belated thanks for the answer and the great photos. 

I get that there were no ejector seats ever in the back, but it looks curious that the warning triangles were still painted on!

Thanks again

Trevor

It was probably a case of “this is how the tech order says the airplane should be stenciled so this is how we’re going to do it.” 😁

Ben

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

It was probably a case of “this is how the tech order says the airplane should be stenciled so this is how we’re going to do it.” 😁

Ben

That is as good a theory as any 🤣

Trevor