BA Boeing 767-300ER rebuild/repaint 1/144

Okay, this needs some explaining to do. This B767 Zvezda was the first 'conscious life' kit, bought 10 years ago. Back then I had very little idea about the whole hobby industry size and put it together 100% out of the box. Probably skipped a lot of tiny details.

During the recent shelf revision I took a closer look and it was painful to watch.
While the principal assembly was okay there were gaps everywhere (no putty at all), the tailfin was split and wouldn't stick together even when I managed to cut it all open (thanks to a poor Zvezda glue), the KLM livery was all over the shop, I even question myself if I was on drugs at that time (probably, not), the paintjob was terrible.
So she couldn't be on a display but I either felt bad thinking about throwing her away. A decision was made to do a salvage job as good as I can.

I scraped all the paint off, filled all the gaps. Restored couple of spoilers, rebuilt half of the tailfin, made some antennas, that's as far as my skill goes.
Then I've got British Airways livery from Ascensio (highly recommended if you'll ever come across it) and technical details sheet from Pas-decals. I had a long big doubt about the beautiful Ireland livery so I went on with the standard one (Chapham, I think?)
Some mistakes I couldn't undo, I believe the MLG doors were mixed up and the engines are GE instead of RR of course which is a shame, but I decided to let it go. Also it lacks the nose ballast so it's tail heavy as expected :)
Repainting was quite a painful job, took like A LOT of tape masking.
There she goes in her second 'airline'. I'm quite satisfied with the result.

The only photo I could found of the old look which kinda hides most of the issues in the depth of field.

5226526140-04445700ca-o.jpg

DSC5648.jpg

DSC5647.jpg

DSC5651.jpg

That nice take-off look!

DSC5655.jpg

• Like 31

Quite satisfying how our expectations change as our experience and skills develop.  What we probably thought of as a good job some years ago we now see as well below an acceptable standard.  Your refurbishment of this model is excellent. Well done.

Graeme 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

So many would just throw it in the garbage. Beyond nice restoration. I find restoring models more fun than building a new one.

That's a very different and humbling experience for sure, but for me still building from a pile of sprues is probably most fun.

23 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Just found this

https://www.airliners.net/search?registrationActual=N655US&sortBy=dateAccepted&sortOrder=desc&perPage=36&display=detail

It's a US Air 767 painted in BA colours as part of a deal. So a non RR powered BA 767 is legit.

Thank you! Great find! Never dug so far into the A.net inquiry!
Actually I did a lot of research on this one to find out which escape pathways are on the wings if any, because I've got like 4 different types of them. I did find one single overhead photo of the real plane to find out there are none at all!

Edited by Sent-off
additional info
  • Thanks 1

Excellent rescue, well done. I know from my own experience that restoring an old model can sometimes be more work than building a new one. 

The US Air 767 which flew in BA colours was the shorter  -200 version but as Abandoned Project says there was one "BA" 767 which wasn't RR powered! 

As long as you are pleased with the model (and you have every right to be) that's what matters.

Dave G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent rescue, well done. I know from my own experience that restoring an old model can sometimes be more work than building a new one. 

The US Air 767 which flew in BA colours was the shorter  -200 version but as Abandoned Project says there was one "BA" 767 which wasn't RR powered! 

As long as you are pleased with the model (and you have every right to be) that's what matters.

Dave G

Thank you, Dave

Hi,

Well I have to agree with everyone you've freshened that old kit up very nicely. Great save, would've been a shame to bin it.

I'll go along with what John says too the 767 does suit the Chatham livery well.

Cheers,

Ian

Wow! What an amazing difference from the old to the new! You've done an amazing job with the restoration. I would agree that throwing this one in the bin would have been a shame! Glad she was saved and brought back to life! Nice job! 

• Like 1