RCN Airfix Seafury 1/48

Hi guys,

I use the lockdown period in France to diminish my stack of unfinished kits, this is the last completed: it is the Seafury kit from Airfix in the foreign service boxing.  I used a resin cowling resin wheels from Barracudacast. The first step was riveting the kit, which I would not do it again, since photos of Seafuries show a very  smooth skin .

P1060571

The cockpit was built from the kit parts, since very little remains visible anyway, but I spend some time with the wheel wells, to replicate the intricate plumbing and wiring.  I used fly tying lead wire to reproduce the various tubes.To reproduce the Hawker yellow, I mixed Gunze  H74 Sky with Tamiya XF4 yellow green. 

P1060559

P1060558

I used the kit decals to depict a RCN Seafury with a low demarcation line between EDSG and Sky.  Ironically the first Seafury I built more than twenty years ago was the Hobbycraft kit, that I also finished in RCN markings. One can see the tremendous improvement of the Airfix kit over Hobbycraft.

I used Gunze Sky H74 and a mix of Tamiya paints that I found on the web long long time ago, it was attributed to Roy Sutherland.

After struggling with various brands of gloss varnish to obtain the glossy finish I wanted, I finally decided to use the tried and true Klear, applied with a flat brush, which I think turned out well.

Have a nice weekend,

Christian.

P1060592

P1060593

P1060594

P1060601

P1060598

P1060596

Edited by cger
  • Like 28

Hello Christian,

Excellent job on this Canadian Naval Fury. 

Regards, Orion

The Netherlands.

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful Sea Fury! The burnt metal behind the exhaust pipes looks very convincing.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Lots of agreement with what he said!