RFI: Studio Scale SHADO Mobile

Way back in the dim and distant past of 2014 when you could actually meet people at model shows and mingle in crowds (ahh remember those halcyon days?) Kits for Cash brought out a series of large 'studi' scale resin kits of Gerry Anderson favourites. First was the UFO from UFO which I built here

Then next in 2015 was the very limited run SHADO Mobile, also from UFO. I was unable to resist so got out the plastic and acquired a very large box of resin pieces that arrived at my house a few weeks after Telford in 2015. I began building it in May 2016 but variosu things got in the way and I had to put it to one side for the time being. 4 years later and with lockdown in full seing I decided it was time to delve into that box of resin and sort it out once and for all. That I have been doing for the past 6 weeks and you can see my trials and tribulations on ths WIP thread:

DSC_4133.JPG

DSC_4134.JPG

DSC_4137.JPG

DSC_4138.JPG

DSC_4139.JPG

if you look carefully you can see the extra greeblies added under the 'chin'! I was very pleased with the pain job of the figure and cab but sadly you can barely see any of it, so here is some detail shots before and during assembly

DSC_4046.JPG

DSC_4038.JPG

DSC_4070.JPG

DSC_4145.JPG

On this side I've left the roadwheels as they were on the studio model, with the centres of the road wheels uncovered and the bolts holding the wheels on theoretically visible

DSC_4146.JPG

On this side however, I've used the covers that were supplied in the kit to cover the centres. I've used a couple of splots of Micro Liquitape on the edges of the caps so that they are sticky but not STUCK in the wheels, they are removable if I wish to display it as the studio model.

DSC_4147.JPG

DSC_4148.JPG

DSC_4150.JPG

This rear detail section does not match up to the studo model very well. I improved it over the original kit piece but its still not fully accurate.

DSC_4151.JPG

DSC_4152.JPG

DSC_4155.JPG

Here is is with the UFO mentioned before and the third kit produced by Kits for Cash, the Spectrum Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlet which I built last year. Sadly since Ian has closed Kits for Cash, its unlikely that this range of kits will be expanded upon :(

DSC_4156.JPG

Here it is with a Product Enterprises Mobile from a few years back. This is slightly larger than the old Dinky toy.

DSC_4159.JPG

Here it is on the shelf with some of my model collection. I'm really glad to have finally completed it , my guilt at such an expensive kit sitting on the shelf unbuilt has been assuaged :)

• Like 16

It's very impressive indeed. I'm very jealous but, like you, I seem to be running out of shelf space. What to do?

Do I  spy a Firefly on the top there? I don't remember seeing the build?

It wasn't a kit - its a model that came as part of a Yahtzee set I picked up a few years back when it was first released and a bit cheaper than this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yahtzee-Firefly-Edition-Board-Game/dp/B00L9OPEHU

I do have a resin kit of Serenity but thats been in the stash for years and never gets anywhere near the front of the build queue :)

• Like 1

It looks smashing Andrew - and I prefer the 'with' wheel hub options myself. That mesh you have used has certainly added a special touch of fine detail. I'm looking forward to seeing the beast in the resin once we can next meet up at club night and shows.

• Thanks 1