Smer Walrus mkII - the worst you have ever seen!

Up to my usual standard - schoolboy. 🤣

I haven't made a biplane since the old Dogfight doubles of my youth, and surprisingly my wife quite liked it. I suppose it does look pretty different to the usual WWII fare.

The model itself was like a step back in time, which to be honest, I don't mind at all as high quality models are a bit wasted on me. 

Even the instruction sheet was mostly written instructions that bought back the old models of yesteryear and which I found quite quaintly pleasant. I shall be buying more of this make for its olde tyme feel.

Look at that flash on the sprue! 

spacer.png

Anyway I can't put it off any longer, here is my Supermarine Walrus MK II in all its glory.

Well not all exactly, as the some of the decals fell to bits so I had to use what was left!

It is supposed to be the RAF air sea rescue variant but Gawd knows what it is now. 

And as for the rigging - Forgettaboutit! 

A bit of lighthearted counterpoint to the frankly wonderful quality modelling usually on show here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 47

It sounds like it was an enjoyable build bringing a pleasant return to past modeling with no stress... and that's all that matters. I asked myself recenty, "What ever happened to the days when I didn't even think about putty and sanding and yet the finished models were satisfying to me? My airbrush work wasn't the greatest by any means but it looked good ... to me." There's a world of difference between building to the nth degree of accuracy because you're good at it and you truly enjoy it, and building to some very high standard, not because you're good at it but because you think it's expected. I'll fall back on a saying that appears to be enjoying wider and wider acceptance in the modeling world. "Build what you want, the way you want to and have fun!" My emphasis added.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Neil.C said:

Up to my usual standard - schoolboy. 🤣

Well, the colours are spot on. Schoolboy me would have painted it Humbrol 30...

Good job on the build, and also soliciting interest from your other half, that's a long WiP for me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/05/2020 at 14:19, Neil.C said:

Look at that flash on the sprue! 

What sprue ?

Do you know what Neil, it looks okay to me, it is definately a Walrus and what is most important is that you enjoyed the build because it brought back happy memories of when we built models for fun and were happy with what we had stuck together.

I think my enjoyment dropped when I started building models to try and impress guys at the club meetings and at model shows, building something unusual rather than what I really wanted to and striving for that perfect finish and invisible joins  And as for building to a club theme, forget that.............

And your wife likes it too, my wife thinks that I only build Hercules .................... " another Hercules dear ? "

I must build another Hercules one day, it has been 50 years since I built the Airfix one.

Enjoy what you do friend.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, adey m said:

I must build another Hercules one day, it has been 50 years since I built the Airfix one.

Perhaps the upcoming Zvezda will be a nice kit for you. Hope so.

• Like 2

Stuck together with tube glue, fingerprints on canopies, decals on bare plastic.  That was my schoolboy - and I didnt care.  Did you enjoy building it?  Answer: yes.  Where I come from we call that a result!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh no not the worst. The Matchbox plastic came in something frightful like yellow and purple IRRC. Unpainted it was a sight, and when 12 year old me had finished with the silver it was beyond help.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.

I did enjoy building it and will carry on doing so on cheap old fashioned kits for the sense of deja vu they give.

I don't mind posting them as I like to feel part of the forum.

You really are a very decent bunch of coves. 👍

• Like 4

I actually built this kit myself but have not had the courage to post it.  It was some years ago when it was the only game in town if you wanted one in 1/48.  Like you, I build for myself mostly and if my wife likes it (generally revolves around nice colors) then its a bonus.  And they go into a cabinet so it's not like anyone takes a close look anyway.  Yours looks like a Walrus and they were pretty well beat up in practice anyway so yours looks like it should look, at least to me.  Thanks for posting this as it looks like you had fun building it.

• Like 3

resized_9071ddba-68fb-4a5a-ba34-010235c5

BIGGLES FLIES AGAIN

" Make em keep their heads down Algey while I side-slip to put the fire out, then I'll give em the other one "

Edited by adey m
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Harold55 said:

I actually built this kit myself but have not had the courage to post it.  It was some years ago when it was the only game in town if you wanted one in 1/48.  Like you, I build for myself mostly and if my wife likes it (generally revolves around nice colors) then its a bonus.  And they go into a cabinet so it's not like anyone takes a close look anyway.  Yours looks like a Walrus and they were pretty well beat up in practice anyway so yours looks like it should look, at least to me.  Thanks for posting this as it looks like you had fun building it.

Please post your model Harold.

I'd love to see it and I'm sure others would too. 

• Like 1

Like everyone else I think it looks good and you enjoyed the build and that's what counts. 

Like Adey I did a downturn in modelling because of trying to emulate the great builds I saw at my local IPMS branch and modelling shows, but it just boils down to what makes YOU satisfied?

I think I have gotten better this second time round and end up not obsessing about hiding every last join and 'is that shade of green correct?'.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2020 at 06:42, Rob K. said:

It’s fine and I enjoyed reading your post. Build some more 👍

Rgds

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Be careful what you wish for.  

I'm having a bash at a 1/48 Grumman Hellcat at the moment! 🤪

I mostly enjoy it and if I can give a bit of light hearted fun to the fine folk on here so much the better. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

Thanks Rob.

Be careful what you wish for.  

I'm having a bash at a 1/48 Grumman Hellcat at the moment! 🤪

I mostly enjoy it and if I can give a bit of light hearted fun to the fine folk on here so much the better. 

Great, perhaps an idea to do a work in progress on your Hellcat. You get some good advise and tips along the way. 

Rgds,

Rob

• Thanks 1

No, not the worst I've seen, not at all. It is what we are in this "hobby" for. If you are not building for a commission or a museums display, then there's no "judge or jury" for your modeling, it's only you. And if you like it, if you enjoyed building it, that's it!

Not painting like Rembrandt or Monet does never have to mean that one cannot paint at all!! We all like to play football and no one criticizes us for not being a Messi or Ronaldo, right? Just don't let any "I know too much" rivet counter strip of all the joy, just build it as you want and like it!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1