It’s a Porsche..........Diesel Junior 108 Tractor! Revell 1/24 - FINISHED

PlaStix

Not really sure I'm going to find the time for this but I do enjoy the Blitzbuild GBs! So I'm going to try and have a go at making this:

49918814863_dbbfa124a0_b.jpg

I got it a while back when I discovered a toy shop had opened up in Leicester and had a very limited selection of kits. I wanted to purchase one of them and this was the best of the few there. And yes.......I am going to spray the red sections with a rattlecan! Luckily my son had not used this one for a project he was doing, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered with this kit at this point.

I'm hoping I don’t get too bogged down with it and try to make it as it's really intended...........with it's ‘easy-click system’.........which I'm going to glue together! :banghead:

I'm thinking at the moment I may have to try the ‘lockdown option’ but I'll see how it goes. I have been struggling to find time for modelling over the past few weeks.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 11

You won't believe this, but as a kid I've sat a lot on the left rear fender of one! One of my farmer uncles (yes, there were three plus two aunts married to farmers) had a Porsche he had inherited from his father-in-law in 1980 +/- a few years. My uncle used it in light duties only, actually I think it became some kind of a hobby tractor for him. A hobby tractor or not - it certainly was NOT a bright red one! The colour had faded to almost a pink shade. I'll be watching this with a warm spot in my mind 🥰

• Like 4

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

You won't believe this, but as a kid I've sat a lot on the left rear fender of one! One of my farmer uncles (yes, there were three plus two aunts married to farmers) had a Porsche he had inherited from his father-in-law in 1980 +/- a few years. My uncle used it in light duties only, actually I think it became some kind of a hobby tractor for him. A hobby tractor or not - it certainly was NOT a bright red one! The colour had faded to almost a pink shade. I'll be watching this with a warm spot in my mind 🥰

I can picture the scene, uncle farmer, casually displaying the Porsche key ring while chatting up the girls at the pub / dance, boy were they in for a surprise when he gave them a lift home !

Good luck with this one, completely new to me, we only get Grey Fergusons "Fergies" in the Scottish Highlands 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/05/2020 at 17:52, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice easy build here Stix, what could possibly go wrong?:whistle:

Shhhhhh! For goodness sake!! Now you've said it! :rolleyes:  I am hoping it will be straight forward - not sure how much time I'm going to get overall. 

On 21/05/2020 at 19:01, vppelt68 said:

Thanks V-P. I hope I can do it justice for you! It is going to be a showroom model though!

On 21/05/2020 at 21:36, JOCKNEY said:

I can picture the scene, uncle farmer, casually displaying the Porsche key ring while chatting up the girls at the pub / dance, boy were they in for a surprise when he gave them a lift home !

Good luck with this one, completely new to me, we only get Grey Fergusons "Fergies" in the Scottish Highlands 

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat and thank you. Yeah I'd never seen one before going in that new toy shop in Leicester. Always used to love tractors when I was a child and always had several die-cast ones to play with. In my head I'm hoping this will look a little bit like a new die-cast tractor when it’s finished.

Right - this is my starting point:

49925413061_370f802a46_b.jpg

I'm trying to decide at the moment whether to spray everything while it's all still on the sprues. I'm going to remove any extra seams, etc. first - while everything is still attached - and then go through the instructions to look if that looks a good way forward!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Now this looks like fun!! I'm going to enjoy watching this one, Stix 🍿 🍿

Hi Nigel. Hope you are well. Thank you for stopping by!

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

That looks like a cracking kit Stix,hat's off to Revell for making subjects rather than just aircraft too these days.

Hi Steve. I hope you are well. Thank you and yes it is good that Revell venture into different subjects. One of the first kits I made when I returned to the hobby was one of their fire engines. Took me about a year...........can’t take that long for this tractor!

Quick photo of the fire engine which sits just above where I do my kit building these days:

49925380288_d647c1eeb2_b.jpg

So back to the tractor. Having looked at the sprues and the instructions I realised I couldn’t just get the paint spayed onto the parts while they were all just in place on the sprues. Some of the attachment points are in tricky places and there’s a fair amount of flash and seams that would need cleaning up:

49926185887_23e971fc48_b.jpg

49925367518_5521c29d6b_b.jpg

So I decided to start by cleaning things up and do some assembly while the main parts are still on the sprues. I have only got the one can of red paint so I cannot risk try to spray everything separately. These were the first parts assembled:

49925367458_6c2a8810eb_b.jpg

49925887351_cfc4da5834_b.jpg

I then started adding pieces here and there where I could. Alignment isn’t great but manageable:

49925367388_66198b0710_b.jpg

49925367373_fa69e56799_b.jpg

And that’s where I stopped for lunch.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

After lunch I started with the rear eagle unit:

49926211968_bd8648fa18_b.jpg

.......and by teatime I had cleaned, scraped, filed and sanded to this point:

49926920777_619439ed18_b.jpg

The main assembly concentrated on this:

49926623786_533c5cbe0e_b.jpg

So much for thinking I'd get some paint on early today.............maybe tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Have one of these in progress, a nice fun kit. I’m having some paint finish issues with the usual gloss varnish drama doh! so have  put it on one side. So will pull up a chair and watch with interest 🙂

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice start Stix.

Love that fire engine too. 

Thank you HB. It's going okay so far - a bit slower than I’d hoped. The fire engine was a long, very enjoyable project and it was while making it That I discovered Britmodeller for the first time!

16 hours ago, Yetifan said:

Have one of these in progress, a nice fun kit. I’m having some paint finish issues with the usual gloss varnish drama doh! so have  put it on one side. So will pull up a chair and watch with interest 🙂

Hi Yetifan and thank you. It is a fun kit but it takes a bit more to sort out than I thought - even though I'm trying to do it as basically as I can. Hopefully I can get it together In the 24hours.

This is where I'd left it yesterday evening - red and plasticky!:

49929050098_02da116573_b.jpg

After a bit of cleaning up I got the Humbrol Gloss Red (in the one rattlecan of this colour I have!) and began spraying it outside. It went on okay and lasted, just, enough time to get it all painted:

49929566381_8affed0b5d_b.jpg

I then had to determinedly leave it to dry!! I really wanted to start cutting the bits off the sprues! Just about two hours later I came back to see how the paint was drying:

49929050188_d5e8d3cb5e_b.jpg

It seemed to be set well enough so out came my snips:

49929566256_e43d0398cd_b.jpg

A couple of photos to show on the main unit how the paint actually looks:

49929869102_1cd6aeb736_b.jpg

49929566201_607411c7df_b.jpg

And this is where I stopped for lunch:

49929049918_37475e7a15_b.jpg

I'd cleaned up the sprue attachment points ready for touching up by brush and I also cut the chromed parts off the sprues. Decals out ready too.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Not having the instructions to hand it fun looking at the assortment of parts and trying to work out what goes where !

Something I'll be doing if i manage to get the classic car Ive been after for the last 5 years, most of it is in tea chests and the rest of the car is in a loft.

I didn't realise the paint from a can dried off so quickly, really good to know.

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ted said:

There is a lot of detail on that kit, interesting build.

Hi Ted. Thank you for your comments. It is a nicely detailed kit but a lot is already together in the box. I suppose because it's a snap kit aimed at a 10+ market. I'm making it harder for myself by painting it and gluing it together. Been fun so far though.

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Not having the instructions to hand it fun looking at the assortment of parts and trying to work out what goes where !

Something I'll be doing if i manage to get the classic car Ive been after for the last 5 years, most of it is in tea chests and the rest of the car is in a loft.

I didn't realise the paint from a can dried off so quickly, really good to know.

cheers Pat 

Hi Pat. Thank you for your comments. Yeah Humbrol’s rattlecan acrylic paints dry relatively quickly. I always give them a couple of hours to dry properly - especially the gloss paints.

When I got back to this after lunch I decided to experiment with the decals:

49931158881_00b554686c_b.jpg

........they were okay but some of the smaller ones were a bit fiddly.

While waiting for decals to come away from the backing paper and then set, I ended up starting to assemble various bits and pieces so, by the time I stopped for the day, I had got this lot done:

49931158801_74db8b31a0_b.jpg

I'm hoping it won’t be too long tomorrow before this gets finished in the morning.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

That's looking cracking, Stix!!

My brother-in-law has a 'Little Grey' and I've always been tempted to build the Heller kit for him. After seeing this, I think it could be his Christmas pressie sorted :wink:

• Thanks 1

There's a lot to this despite being 'easy click'. Nice to see something a bit different (tractors are very popular down here in Somerset!).

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

You have really made some great progress there.

It looks a really nice kit, you should be on commission for all the ones that people buy after seeing yours 😁

Hi Pat and thank you. Yes - it took longer than I expected but it cam together nicely - and didn't take too long today to finish. I must admit I hadn't seen this kit at all until I went into that toyshop - so I think other modellers with an interest in something a little different will enjoy this one.

22 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

That's looking cracking, Stix!!

My brother-in-law has a 'Little Grey' and I've always been tempted to build the Heller kit for him. After seeing this, I think it could be his Christmas pressie sorted :wink:

H I Nigel and thank you. I'm sure you will enjoy making it - I know I enjoyed building this one. And it would make a nice present.

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent progress Stix,this looks a great kit too.

Hi Steve and thank you. Yes it is a nice fun kit. A bit fiddly in places but I don't think I'd helped it by spraying it in the way I did. I'm not a rattlecan user normally and I don't think I well enough versed in how to prepare joint areas - so some were a bit clogged and required some cleaning up before the parts would go together.

21 hours ago, Johnson said:

There's a lot to this despite being 'easy click'. Nice to see something a bit different (tractors are very popular down here in Somerset!).

Hi Johnson and thank you. Yes I was pleased when I saw a tractor kit was available in the toyshop. I used to love them when I was a kid.

So this is where I started this morning:

49933214833_b0a4658f1c_b.jpg

More decals were to go on to start with:

49933214728_a65e941be7_b.jpg

I ended up using the number plate stickers rather than the decals as I figured they would look better and more metallic than the decals.

By 9.29am this morning I had done a fair bit of detail painting, added most of the decals (and number plate stickers) and done the bulk of assembling:

49933731286_f8ddf3d739_b.jpg

An hour later I had the decals applied on the hood cover, sealed on with Johnson's Pledge (new version of Klear) - the hood was then located in place and then finally the steering wheel fitted:

49933214568_4db142a384_b.jpg

So finished by 10.29! Not too bad. I'll total up the build time later.

A couple of photos here:

49934685003_6b4a032c0f_b.jpg

49934685048_517eb0c67e_b.jpg

One on my Spitfire display shelf with some grass mat on the base:

49935510372_4a4dfc0530_b.jpg

The Gallery photos can be found here: 

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment in my thread and thank you too to the hosts for a great GB. I thoroughly enjoyed my Bank Holiday weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8