Flyhawk 1/700 Prince of Wales

During furlough from work i have been building up my RN fleet, mostly destroyers. I decided to try something bigger. After looking at the excellent WIP builds by Gisbod and OutcastJoel, I decided to have a crack at the Prince of Wales. I am very much a learner and make many mistakes but I enjoy myself.

qiLgJWa.jpg

part of the fleet

TvcODqi.jpg

POW

ZFNnx66.jpg

forward superstructure

RMj5l4N.jpg

boat deck.

None of the superstructure is fixed as yet. Lots of touch up to do, but i do this as i go along. I am not very good with photo etch but i am learning as I go along and very slowly getting better. All comments and criticism really is welcome as this is how I learn.

Mick

Edited by smyfe
PIC
  • Like 10

This looks very good. I am slightly jealous of the wooden desks you and guy have.

Having had a quick look through the photo of your fleet I think this should be spectacular!

I especially like the destroyer in the front in western approaches white and blue, that is a beauty, is there a thread on it?

59 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

This looks very good. I am slightly jealous of the wooden desks you and guy have.

Having had a quick look through the photo of your fleet I think this should be spectacular!

I especially like the destroyer in the front in western approaches white and blue, that is a beauty, is there a thread on it?

No thread sorry, this is my first build post. The bottom two are IBG's Hunt class destroyers built out of the box ( they include the PE ) and all paints supplied by Jamie@Sovereign Hobbies. I can recommend the IBG kits, including the HMS Zetland that you like.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Looks like this is the kit to be building just now. Nice work Michael :)

I'm almost tempted to get my own one back out to progress it a bit ... sadly I have anything but time on my hands just now though!

Would like to see you finish yours Jamie, but I know how busy you are. Just waiting for more supplies to start Naiad, Aurora, Lance, Legion and the J class.

Mick

• Like 2

A little more progress, started with the dreaded photo etch. At least she has guns now. I am trying to work out the masts, as both the supports are badly distorted and i don't know if i can save them. If not i will attempt to replace them with brass rod.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spent over an hour with tweezers and optivisor removing cat hairs for the pics 😂 😹

• Like 8

Had a bit of a SNAFU today, I decided to do all the life rafts so I removed all the turrets to get them in place. Glued the rafts to the ship, then I tried to put the turrets back. I had glued the rafts in the wrong position by about 1 mm and as a result could not get the 5.25" turrets back on. In trying to prise the rafts off to reposition them, I have manages to damage, destroy or lose the rails around the turrets. I have plenty of spare rails but it will take some time for me to calm down enough to do it. Rafts now in the right place 😂 🤯. Going to mask the decks on HMS Lance in the meantime.

• Sad 4

That is rough Smyfe, it has been a cracking effort so far so keep going once you have recovered!

Also, on the topic of masts, how are they distorted? Mine were slightly wonky (possibly not as bad or in the same way) but when fitted to the superstructure they get held in shape quite nicely.

Hi all, I have managed to get back to where I was a couple of days ago, plus added the rigging to the cranes. I am about to start the masts 🤯, I do not have very steady hands, so this may be a long process. Will try to post an update later. I could do with Guy's (@Gisbod) or Joel's (@OutcastJoel) hands and eyes for this.

Edited by smyfe
typo
  • Like 2

Managed the aft mast 🤯, still may have to cut off the supports unless I manage to straighten them some more. They didn't look that bad till i saw the pics. Forgot to do the cat hair scan so apologies for the furry intrusion. Leaving it for a few hours to get my brain back in order, so masking and spraying started on HMS Lance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks to Jamie, Guy and Joel for the inspiration to try to match the quality they turn out.

Mick

• Like 9

Whilst working on Lance my brain is slowly returning to normal, so today I will be making an attempt at the foremast 🤪. Hopefully progress pics later.

• Like 1

A bit later than expected, but they are done as good as I am capable of, now on to my next challenge. I will be attaching the masts after I have done the rails, if my sanity holds out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I know the supports have bends in them, but it looks a lot better in reality, hoping to straighten them a little more when I fix them into place.

Edited by smyfe
PIC
  • Like 7

Well I finally got some work done on Flyhawks 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales. This is how she will stay for a while, Had major struggles with deck rails and masts. I will stick to my smaller ships for a while, though this is nothing against the kit, just my abilities to do it justice. I need more practice with photo etch and also need to learn rigging methods. Thanks to all who helped me with advice and encouragement, not up to the standards if many on here, but i will get better slowly.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that from where I'm looking.

You're being a bit too hard on yourself

Rob

Thank you Rob, but when I see some of the builds on here I aspire to reach that sort of quality. Learning all the time.