De Turenne Nieuport 11 from the kit Eduard 1/48: Ready for inspection

Hello to all,

On last March 20, I decided, while I had just finished a first build of this beautiful WWI airplane, to build it again.

For the first build, I followed strictly (but with less talent) my master Juan Manuel Villalba.

For this 2nd, I wanted a more personal, and more faithful build, with improvements in many aspects compared with my first version. The WIP is visible here:

I took advantage of the confinement (I never had before as much time for my favorite hobby, about 5 h/ day, sometimes more) to realize this project, and you will find below the pics.

I want to thank very warmly all modelers who followed my thread in the WIP section, and especially the most encouraging ones: Biggu, JeroenS, limeypilot, FPDPenguin, RichieW.

But also Alfisti, shortCummins, Ex-FAAWAFU, QuietMike, and many other ones...

Without their "likes", kind comments and encouragements, I would certainly have been much less far.

I also want to thank very much Marc Chassard and Selwyn, experts whose knowledge was very helpful to get a faithful replica.

And, as usual, a special dedication to JMV, who learnt me so much and always encouraged me along my skills acquisition.

For those interested, after the pics, I will come-back (in another post, in the next days) on the context of this airplane and the De Turenne pilot.

All the best to all, and a long life to Britmodeller, that allows me to also improve my english!

1) my both versions: all the ones who followed with care my WIP thread won't be long to see which one is the first, and which one the second:

spacer.png

spacer.png

2) I clearly improved the propeller for this 2nd build, but many other aspects too, such the step (just painted Dark Grey on the 1st build) or yet the Lewis gun and its supports, mainly self made. Notice the small impacts on the engine hood:

spacer.png

3) For this "ultimate" version, I also tried to represent in a more realistic way the rosettes visible through the canvas, a challenging step but that was worth it imho. The cockpit, pity not very visible, was also improved a lot, with the will to be as faithful as possible, in the image of the seat cushion, the seat belts, the side panels colors etc:

spacer.png 

4) On my 1st build, I had not represented the vertical wood structure visible through the linen canvas on the fuselage. The kind of detail pleasing to the eye. I also decided that this time, the wings and empennage hinges would be represented. The end of the build was dedicated to the machine gun and its supports. I gave the best of myself, with a strong will, to represent faithfully these very visible elements. The wires are stretched plastic and even the trigger tiny one is represented:

spacer.png

5) Like most of my models, this one will be presented in my dental cabinet, placed on a mirror, the latter being fixed on a motorized tray, that allows to look at the model under all views angles. The mirror allows to see the bottom details too...

On this pic, we may see the interest of using the great Uschi standard rigging, and the great too Gaspatch One End metal turnbuckles:

spacer.png

6) One of the modelers who followed my WIP thread, Jochen Barett, said with right that, only if there was more light coming from behind the canvas, the rosettes had to be slightly visible through the latter. By placing my model on a mirror, I solve partially this question: as much light on both upper and lower wings is coming. But I agree with him, if the model was inserted in a diorama, the rosettes should certainly not be represented on top:

spacer.png

7) Not many improvements on the bottom side of the fuselage for this 2nd build, but the metal plate in front (just behind the engine) was missing on the first:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And, to finish, 4 BW pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It has really been a pleasure for me to share this build with you.

I leave you for now, but will, in a second post, as I said above, give some interesting infos about the Nieuport 11 and the pilot, Armand De Turenne.

Cheers, take care of you and yours

Olivier, May 21, 2020

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful.

The first model was very good indeed on its own. Sitting it next to your second attempt shows how much more you have added to the plane.

I find it fascinating that by actually painting less on the model, you have added so much more! The wings especially look much better.

The light issue with the rosettes is also interesting. Portraying the shadow of them on the uppers might not be strictly accurate for the light source, but as a modelling technique to portray the translucence of the fabric it works really well.

• Like 2

Beautiful work Olivier, and very inspirational. I have been looking at your WIP thread over the months so it is great to see it finished. You have a lot of skill and patience!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

What a real pleasure it was to follow the build. The final result is a real stunner. 1/32 Copperstate Nieuport coming soon?  I would love to see that happen. :)

• Thanks 1

1000 thanks to all for your kind words. 

After these 2 successive builds, I will take a little break (probably not more than 15 days) and then I will try to come-back on the Indy 500 Ford Mustang 1964 1/16 discontinued build.

I admit I am a bit afraid because this build was very complex, and, having left it about 14 months will turn the challenge still more difficult.

But in the same time, these Nieuport builds should give me the necessary trust in my skills to bring this Mustang project to completion, even if the builds are very different (the Mustang is more "technical", the Nieuport more "artistic", imho)

I will have to accept compromises (and you too, so 😉), but it would be a pity, while I ever spent a lot of time and energy, not to go on.

So see you soon, take care and thanks again!

Cheers,   Olivier

P.S:

1) sorry, I finally won't write about the airplane and the pilot, as, after all, it is very easy with internet, to get these infos. 

2) on the other hand, if some of you decide to build the Eduard Nieuport 11 and have a question, I will be pleased to help to the extent possible.

• Like 1

Hello, Olivier -

Absolutely superb workmanship on display here on your N11 - well done!

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Absolutely beautiful work. Both of them are excellent but the new one has something a little bit extra. Great scheme too.

Regards, Jeff

• Thanks 1