A look back - a 1/72 CF-100 Mk.4B

Subject:         419 Sqn. CF-100 Mk.4B, s/n. 18378; 4 Wing, Baden-Soellingen, Germany - 1958

Kit:                 Astra Models 1/72 CF-100 Mk.4/5 vac-form with some help from Hobbycraft's 1/72 CF-100 Mk.4

Aftermarket:  Obscureco's CF-100 resin update intended for the Hobbycraft kit  (cockpit interior, ejection seats, MLG wheel well, intake faces, Mk.4 gunsight)

Decals:           Canuck Decals CF-100 Pt.2  (419, 440 and 445 Sqn.) - OOP

Aviaeology 1/72 generic 'Silver Maple' RCAF roundels and their 1/72 'Red Ensign' flag sheets

Paints;           AK 'Real Colours' RAF Dark Green; Model Master Dark Sea Grey and Compucolour Light Aircraft Grey BS381C/627 (still good after all these years)

As a way of background, Hobbycraft is only an injection 'clone' of the Astra Models CF-100 Mk.4/5, except Hobbycraft as per usual, missed with several shape errors.  Fortunately, the two halves of the fwd fuselage were near identical to the Astra kit, so the deciding factor to use the Hobbycraft parts was the resin.  When Obscureco says it's intended for the Hobbycraft kit … that's exactly what they mean!  Where Hobbycraft messed up was the contours on the underside half of the fwd fuselage (it's split horizontally).  At the point where the front and the rear fuselages join, the actual x-section is perfectly circular.  Unlike the vac-form, Hobbycraft's version of the x-section resembled a circular balloon, gently pressed down onto a table top.  The rear fuselage assembly for the Astra kit had the correct x-section.  OOTB, Hobbycraft's shape error had a domino effect on the kit's rear fuselage, giving it a 'bloated hunchback' appearance, hence the decision to use the Astra rear fuselage assembly..  The big challenge was to beat the Hobbycraft kit into submission and mate it to the Astra rear fuselage.  After some filing, filling and sanding (repeat as necessary), the Hobbycraft kit succumbed.  

The images  below show the breakdown between the two principal kits and the resin.

Purple = Astra Models

White = Hobbycraft

Blue = Obscureco resin                                                           

Orange = 'parts box' or scratched

Hobbycraft also supplied the following: landing gear; the pitot tube; flaps, MLG doors (re-worked and thinned). 

Astra also provided the following: the canopy (Hobbycraft was far too thick and has slight shape issues); some of the landing gear doors (comparative 'scale' thickness); the exterior of the cross-fuselage flap was cut from the Astra kit, while the flap structure was scratched;  the kit's large fuselage scoop was replaced with a smaller version from the 'parts-box' (what it's origin was, I dunno) as the kit supplied part was far too large when compared to photos and the wing-tip rocket pods.  The Hobbycraft equivalents proved too short.  

Final notes:  

- The exposed portion of the excessively thick Hobbycraft exhaust, was removed from the nacelle and replaced by 'collar of equal length to the removed exhaust (2mm) , cut from the exhaust of a Heller Sabre.  Logical if you think about it.  The Heller Sabre 'is' a Canadair Mk.6, powered by the Orenda14.  The CF-100 Mk.4B was powered by two Orenda 9 and later Orenda 11 … same jet pipe/exhaust.  - - - The de-icing vanes on the intake 'bullets' are small lengths of styrene.

- The gunsight (the Mk.4 had still had a gunsight) was scratched to replace the resin offering

- Wing-tip navigation lights are from the CMK navigation lights set and the tail light is shaped from clear sprue.

- small aux. intakes either side of canopy scratched from hollow Contrail rod and putty.

- flush scoop on lower port nose cut out and 'boxed in'

- flying surfaces repositioned as commonly seen on parked aircraft

Scott

CF-100-Mk-4-B-BM1.jpg

CF-100-Mk-4-B-BM2.jpg

CF-100-Mk-4-B-BM3.jpg

CF-100-Mk-4-B-BM4.jpg

CF-100-Mk-4-B-BM5.jpg

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 37

Thank you, gentlemen.  Your comments are very much appreciated!

Claudio:

I like the subject of Canadian jets in Europe.

I have 2 more Sabres to go - a Mk.2 and a Mk.4, then I'll have each of the 4 Wings represented and with the CF-100, that pretty well will cover the RCAF presence in Europe in the 50's … in terms of the fighters, anyway.

I have a Hobbycraft Mk.4 somewhere in the stash, but the (very useful) list of modifications you gave is a bit frightening.

OOTB, the Hobbycraft kit looks like a CF-100.  My 'flaw' is that I'm the type where if I know of a flaw and can reasonably correct it with the skills I have, I will … or it'll eat into me everytime I see it.  :)  

Originally, my plans always called for me to use the Astra kit as my primary kit and the Hobbycraft only providing a few of the minor bits, like landing gear, pitot, etc.  Since those plans also called for the mandatory use of the resin and that demanded the Hobbycraft plastic, the decision to use the fwd fuselage halves of the Hobbycraft kit was made for me.   It's use really simplified things and there was really no loss of detail - except for the x-section flaw which I fixed (which is easier than it sounds using the Astra rear fuselage) and some less serious ones, the Hobbycraft kit is pretty true to the Astra kit.  My build just avoided most of those with x-kitting the two kits.

PM me with your email and I'll scan you a few things that may make your CF-100 project a little less frightening - things not requiring the use of the Astra Models kit.

However, I would strongly recommend that you try to secure a set of Obscureco's CF-100 resin (they're online), it'll make life sooo much easier.  Also, find some weights that will fit in 4 places … the nacelles (in front of the wings); the gun pack and the extreme front of the nose  (in front of the nose gear).  It can be a real tail-sitter.

Corsairfoxfouruncle:

This is one of my Unicorn builds, I've been looking for one since I came back to Modeling in 2014. 

Unfortunately, you'll need to rely on the secondary market or another modeller who wants to part with one.  Hobbycraft closed-up shop some time back.  The same can be said for Astra Models.   If you do find a Hobbycraft kit, keep in mind that while they 'cloned' the Astra Models CF-100 Mk.4/5, Hobbycraft issued the two versions as separate kits with version specific parts.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

Thanks for those comments, gentlemen.  I really appreciate them.

Always wondered what these kits were like. A bit of a gap in the market for a new mould & I should add this to the collection.

Lightningboy2000: 

The kit isn't too bad, but there are places for 'improvement', but what kit's perfect?  Keep in mind, when searching for a kit … Hobbycraft released two CF-100 kits  - the Mk.4 and the Mk.5.  Mostly the same plastic, but with version specific parts … that being the overall span of both the tailplanes and wings. (the Mk.5 was larger).

However, I would strongly recommend that you get the Obscureco resin for the CF-100, just in case you do find the kit or a new mold is released. (I'd be real surprised to see one)  It does take care of multiple flaws in the Hobbycraft kit(s).  Also, if in the event a new tool does emerge, you never know how much of that resin may prove useful.  Besides, one can never tell how long a resin set will remain on the market and Obscureco have had this listed for some time now

I’m just finishing my (beating into submission) HC Mk4 of the Bald Eagles on the bench right now.  pics to follow on RFI

I look forward to seeing those, Tony!  :)

Scott

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:59 AM, Scott Hemsley said:

Corsairfoxfouruncle:

This is one of my Unicorn builds, I've been looking for one since I came back to Modeling in 2014. 

Unfortunately, you'll need to rely on the secondary market or another modeller who wants to part with one.  Hobbycraft closed-up shop some time back.  The same can be said for Astra Models.   If you do find a Hobbycraft kit, keep in mind that while they 'cloned' the Astra Models CF-100 Mk.4/5, Hobbycraft issued the two versions as separate kits with version specific parts.

My apologies Scott as I had not seen this until today while researching CF.100 builds. I actually did come across another modeler willing to part with not one but two kits. One unbuilt (the one Im researching), and one in need of restoration from being poorly built. That one is almost complete and just needs a couple of minor things.