Humbrol Clear Varnish

Lewis95

1 hour ago, kamikaze said:

Sorry to hijack the topic but does anyone know a local source for Future, preferably one that doesn't involve selling a kidney? Thank you  

People sell the stuff for extortionate prices, the mind boggles. I don't know why people pay those high prices. In my opinion it has it's uses, but it's not as good as it's made out to be. I'd sooner use a dedicated auto clear or model clear. I find they airbrush much more easily and I get a much shinier finish a lot quicker. Klear seems to just soak in and go dull, needing several coats, but still can't match the shine of a 'proper' clear coat. It's also not ideal for polishing either and the 'self levelling' properties can be said of any clear coat if it's applied correctly with the appropriate thinners..

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Steve. It's actually not for me but a friend and he is accustomed to using it and developed a certain routine, I think he's just afraid to start all over... 

21 hours ago, kamikaze said:

Sorry to hijack the topic but does anyone know a local source for Future, preferably one that doesn't involve selling a kidney? Thank you  

apparently Lakeland Quickshine is the same

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish

see here

I think Aqua Gloss will cleanup with whatever you use for your acrylic paints - but not water, as they claim. As a Grandfather to an Asthmatic little one, I understand your concerns. I cannot recommend a spray booth more strongly. I built one for less than $200US - it's bigger than any of the Amazon/Ebay units, and it holds a lot of stuff!

20200527_125510.jpg20200527_125517.jpg

Alclad Aqua Gloss

I've tried Alclad Aqua Gloss, with less than stellar results. Although mileage may vary, right? 

A. Still requires cleaning the airbrush with something harsh(ish) - I've used it twice, and both times needed something stronger than recommended water cleanup on my airbrushes. I prefer Vallejo Airbrush cleaner - which smells like it contains Ammonia.

B. "Melted" the demarcation paint lines on 2 separate aircraft, one of which is the T-2C I posted recently in RFI. The colors were melted enough I had to strip and re shoot the paint. Both kits were finished with different brands of acrylic paints, btw. No common denominator but Aqua and me😉, light mist coats.

Future or (Klear) - currently 'Pledge revive it floor gloss' in the U.S.A.

I use Future(Klear) on every kit, but am always looking for a better alternative. Not because of yellowing though. I have used it on every canopy, every windshield, and any model that gets a decal, for almost 20 years. I still have a couple 1/24 race car kits from the "middle act" of my modeling history - they have zero yellowing anywhere, and they're at least 15yrs+. The finishes still look great, and the decals still look sharp and colorful.

It's the airbrushing challenges with Future that have me constantly looking for a better solution. I have never had good luck airbrushing, despite every imaginable permutation of thinners, flow improvers and wetting agents you can imagine. Oh yeah, and adding nothing, straight from the bottle. If someone gave me a "I do this...", you can bet I tried it, no matter how far-fetched. And I still didn't like the result.

So my current solution... is to swab Future on prior to decalling and weathering. Any kit I've posted to this forum has been finished this way. It's easier to control, leaves no runs or drips (as long as I'm paying attention), and no worries about ruining an airbrush. While the swab method is (for me) faster than using a paint brush, it's more time-consuming than airbrushing. And I usually have to put down three coats for military/camo kits, 5-10 for glossy finishes. I also have to be ever vigilante for the stray fiber, but it occurs less than you might think. 

And no fumes from the cotton swabs.😀

Sorry to hijack your thread, if I did. I think we're looking for the same results in a gloss.

Mark