1/72nd Academy Fortress Mk.IIa (B-17E), RAF Coastal Command,.**FINISHED**

On 5/24/2020 at 9:28 AM, stevehnz said:

I do wish you wouldn't show things like this, just what I need but now unobtainable. :(;) 

Steve.

Sorry mate! 

On 5/24/2020 at 12:10 AM, The Spadgent said:

🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀what were they thinking? 🙀🙀. Nice elegant fix by the way. 🙌

Thanks mate,..... yeah what were they thinking indeed!

On 5/24/2020 at 12:17 AM, Shorty84 said:

Wow, that dihedral is substancial. I've read about this problem but never saw what it looked like. At least the fix is easy enough, something to remember when I build my B-17C one day.

Cheers

Markus

Glad it came in handy,.... yeah simple enough to sort,.......but what a mistake eh?

On 5/24/2020 at 12:18 AM, Learstang said:

Great work on that Fortress, Tony! Like many others here, I love the B-17s in the CC scheme. I have that very nice Airfix B-17G kit, I'm building as a Group 100 Fortress, but I'm determined to do at least one Fortress in a Coastal Command scheme. I do need to buy that DK decal sheet (if I haven't already and just forgot about it! It happens...). I shall follow especially how you get on with the paint scheme.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I also have an Academy B-17C and need to remember that relatively easy fix for the dihedral.

Thanks Jason,.....  good luck with your Forts too,..... I look forward to seeing them. 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:21 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony, I hope your back feels better soon fella, great and quick work. Very interesting choice and the roundels and Coastal Command scheme make for a very interesting looking aircraft.  A sad story and this will be a fitting tribute.  

I have a 48th scale Revell/Monogram kit and one day will build as a CC machine hopefully.

Keep up the good work

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... a 48th scale Coastal Fort would look spactacular. 

On 5/24/2020 at 8:02 AM, woody37 said:

Can’t believe how fast you’ve got this together! Fortunately, we won’t have to wait long to see this great scheme decalled!

Thanks Neil,... you know me,.... I bodge along,..... and some of the little people are starting to drift back,..... something about being furloughed by their new boss!! 

On 5/24/2020 at 9:00 AM, Mr T said:

Coming on very sell Tony, that dihedral is really odd and your fix really makes a difference. I received the second edition of the Fortress book for my birthday and it was an interesting read as well as a useful reference guide. The Coastal Fortresses always looked good to me. 

Cheers mate,..... I fancied the 2nd edition but it was quite expensive,...... I printed off much of the extra content from the web page after the 1st edition was released,..... so hopefully I have most of the new stuff Glad you like the fix and agreed,.....Coastal Forts look great.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2

A quick update,........

Got a lot of sanding done today, added wet kitchen roll into most orifices to try to keep the dust out,.....and stuck some inside the model too😏. As you can see I have an AZ Chippie and an Airfix Gladiator on the go too,......plus I`m rigging a pair of Albacores,.....amongst other stuff;

DSCF8052-NEW.jpg

And then I drilled out a hole for an astro dome in the roof of the nose,.... the outside will need to be built up to represent the fairing that the astrodome sits on. The cockpit glazing has been fitted too;

DSCF8053-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Tony, hopefully the dreaded dust won't find its way in.  Good to see the others on the go too.  Got the Gladiator and Chipmunk in the stash too.  

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,...... fingers crossed eh?

Hiya Folks,.... another quick update,.....

Sanding finished and the fairing built up on the top of the nose using a `U' shaped piece of plastic rod around the front of a drilled out hole,...... then filler was used to form the fairing, which was then sanded flat on t

Nop;

DSCF8055.jpg

Now time for some paint!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great Tony, great work on the Astro dome mounting and fairing. I usually struggle drilling on seems as they usually split!!!

Be good to see it in paint too.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Hiy Chris,....... yeah I split the fuselage too LOL!! 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

I got a coat of white paint on tonight,...... Humbrol Acrylic Matt White,...... another coat and I`ll add a top coat of Tamiya Pure White which is glossy and ready for decalling;

DSCF8059.jpg

DSCF8060.jpg

I`m also painting smaller parts like the engine nacelles seperately,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

On 5/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, woody37 said:

Wow, there’s paint on already! It looks so right in white :)

Cheers mate!

A bit more of an update,........ here is the Fort with the first couple of coats of Extra Dark Sea Grey on,....... the subject appears to be wearing the later scheme so I`m just going for the one upper surface colour;

DSCF8062-NEW.jpg

I just hope that the masking tape has worked! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 10

I could never get masking to work with brush painting personally. Good luck Tony. 🤞 Although it’ll more than likely turn out splendid as always. 👌

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I could never get masking to work with brush painting personally. Good luck Tony. 🤞 Although it’ll more than likely turn out splendid ascalways. 👌

Johnny

Me neither, there again, I couldn’t get painting to work with brush painting either 😂

• Haha 2

Thanks lads,....... the masking was mostly OK,...... but the paint had sneaked underneath in a few places and on a white background it really stands out! I went ahead and masked off the de icer boots and painted them Medium Sea Grey;

DSCF8066.jpg

DSCF8067.jpg

DSCF8068.jpg

Then,..... I decided to re mask the model as I`d bought some better tape and apply some more white,.......... wasn`t really a good idea as it cracked around the nose due to the heat in the porch where I was spraying!!! So the model was sanded down,....... I`ll be applying another coat of EDSG to tidy up the upper surfaces;

DSCF8070.jpg

Cheers for now!

Tony 

• Like 14

Thanks for the kind remarks lads,..... well I`ve tidied it up a bit now and added the gloss finish ready for the decals;

DSCF8076.jpg

Thinking of using Medium Sea Grey codes on this one as they appear lighter than the Light Slate Grey ones and the latter on my sheet don`t have narrower options, so time to drawl through the spares box!   

Cheers

Tony

PS,... I do have a second main wheel,....I just forgot to take it out of the box!  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

And another update,......... decal time,......

Here are the decals being sorted out,........ I had a sheet of narrow MSG code letters from Modeldecal,.....but no numbers,.... so the `9' had to be made up from a pair of C`s plus some other bits and pieces, as show here,..... along with a set of wider decals which were a standby! The eril was from the Light Slate Grey codes/serial sheet and the upper wing rounels came from the Special Hobby Sunderland that I`m also building;

DSCF8081.jpg

And the model with the decals on;

DSCF8082.jpg

DSCF8083.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 16

Looking good Tony, though I confess to some puzzlement, type D roundel on one of these? Sorry if I missed that early in the thread but I'm surprised these lasted in service long enough to wear them? :unsure:

Steve.

This is probably too late, but I bought the July 2030 ‘Flypast’ this morning.  There’s a super article “Maritime Hunter” all about the RAF Coastal B.17s in it.

Just saying,

Jonny

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woody37 said:

Oh, wow, looks great. Getting a great coastal command fix from you at the moment!

Thanks mate,... yeah you`d think I`d bought shares in white paint LOL

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Tony, though I confess to some puzzlement, type D roundel on one of these? Sorry if I missed that early in the thread but I'm surprised these lasted in service long enough to wear them? :unsure:

Steve.

Cheers Steve,....... I explained the roundels earlier in the thread, with a photo of the real aircraft,...... these roundels were commonly applied to Met Recce aircraft from 1944 onwards. The next Fortress I  build, a Mk.II (B-17F) lasted into post war years and had underwing serials too.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

This is probably too late, but I bought the July 2030 ‘Flypast’ this morning.  There’s a super article “Maritime Hunter” all about the RAF Coastal B.17s in it.

Just saying,

Jonny

Thanks for the heads up Jonny,...... I`ve been ordering mine on line but I may make a trip out to get one,...... sounds interesting. 

• Like 2

Thanks for setting me straight on that Tony, I had missed that, checking out BM on a mix of phone & PC does weird stuff to cookies & it's not unusual for threads to jump around a bit. I'd always thought D type roundels were solidly post war, something else I need to swot up. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

A bit more progress on the Fort,..............

Got the engines built and fitted along with the undercarriage and a watercolour wash,..... still quite a way to go,....but getting there,

DSCF8087.jpg

DSCF8088.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 18