1:32 scale - Siemens-Schuckert D.III

Hi all,
The fuselage is ready to be closed up.
The kits cockpit was modified by the following:

Addition of photo-etch rear bulkhead, fuselage formers, fuel/oil cock control panel and side box containers.
Added tube for spent cartridge chute.
Added cross bracing to fuselage forward area and cockpit floor (0.4 mm tube - 0.12 mm mono-filament). 
Added rudder and double elevator control line (0.4 mm tube - 0.08 mm mono-filament). 
Added instrument decals (not supplied in the kit).
Added 0.3 mm lead wiring for magneto starter, starter switch and Tachometer drive, twin gun trigger cables and twin throttles (control column.
Replaced kit supplied oil priming pump and oil and fuel cock controls - 0.4 mm tubing.
Added 0.4 mm lead wire for oil priming pump pipe.

Mike

pitdone1.jpg

pitdone2.jpg

pitdone3.jpg

pitdone4.jpg

• Like 8

Hi all,
The fuselage right side is now fitted and the rudder and elevator control lines rigged.
Next step is to fit the pilot's seat harness, including the shoulder straps through the rear firewall slots.
Then I can close up the fuselage and fit the seat,

Mike

controllinesdone.jpg 

• Like 2

Hi all,
The fuselage now closed up, including:
Top decking panel
Underside louvred panel
Engine fire wall
Tail plane
Fuselage head rest fairing
Underside access panel and hinge.

Most joint and seams needed filling and sanding.
Next it's applying primer to check for surface imperfections then on with the build,

Mike

preprime1.jpg 

preprime2.jpg 

preprime3.jpg 

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 2

Hi all,
The fuselage of this aircraft was coloured blue and was applied over what were the original National markings (fuselage and rudder). However, the markings were still visible under the applied blue colour and therefore need to be represented on the model. The colour profile of this aircraft and others from Jasta 15 appear in several books and the profile artist for the one used does state that the over painted markings are speculative and based on previous aircraft flown in Jasta 15.

faded.jpg

The following photograph, although of poor quality, shows a large white cross with the black cross at its centre on the fuselage. The rudder seems to show a very faded black cross under the white coloured rudder with the later black cross superimposed.

plane1.jpg

The colour profile has the previous rudder marking as the old style ’Cross Pattée’. However, when the photograph is changed to a negative, the marking, although difficult to see, does appear to be more of a standard cross in shape. 

neg1.jpg

neg2.jpg

Between March and May of 1918, the ’Idflieg’ ordered that the National markings be changed, but initially no dimensions were given and confusion at the various Jasta’s led to a wide
variation in the shape of the new cross markings. The older ’Cross Pattée’ marking was used earlier in WW1 and I personally doubt that this underlying marking would have been on an
aircraft in 1918, especially when you consider that the first production batch of D.III aircraft was placed in March 1918, the same month the ‘Cross Pattée’ was discontinued. Therefore I've chosen to use the later cross shape as the underlying marking on the rudder, rather than the older ’Cross Pattée’.

I'm intending to chip the paintwork on the forward metal panels and engine cowl, so I've applied a base coat of 'Alclad' Duraluminium (ALC-102).
Then a coat of cheap hairspray, as I can't get on with chipping fluids, which I find tend to bead up.   

hairspray1.jpg

hairspray2.jpg

The figures I chose to use are the pilot and airman from the ‘Aviattic’ - “GötterdÄmmerung” pilot and airman (ATTRES 024) 

figures1.jpg

Mike

• Like 5

Hi all,
The base colours of red (engine cowl, propeller spinner and forward fuselage) and blue (fuselage and tail unit) have been applied (both darkened slightly).

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

The masks were used to create the fuselage and rudder 'over painted markings, which were then airbrush over to give the impression of being over painted.
The fuselage markings will be partially covered by the pilot's personal markings and a decal will be used for the rudder cross.
The fuselage markings are strange looking but based of the photograph I posted earlier (evidence of the confusion the orders of March/May 1918 caused).

masksfus1.jpg

masksfus3.jpg

masksfus2.jpg

masksfus4.jpg

I've 'hair sprayed' an under coat before applying the red, as those areas have metal surfaces that I want to chip slightly.
The overall semi-sheen finish and weathering will be applied once the wing decals have been applied.

Mike

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
I've applied the linen effect lozenge decals from 'Aviattic' to both wings, ailerons and the elevator.
Also added 1.0 mm wide strips of 5 colour lozenge to represent the rib tapes and edging.

ribtapes1.jpg

ribtapes2.jpg

ribtapes3.jpg

The wing outer 'V' struts were tubular steel covered with a Spruce wood fairing.
The fairings were then covered with the lozenge linen or in some cases, the lozenge pattern was hand painted. 
I've used the same 'Aviattic' lozenge decal that used for the rib tapes.

strutloz3.jpg

Mike

• Like 3

Hi all,
I don't think I've spent as much time cutting and applying decals to any model, as I have on this one.
The upper wing/ailerons are 45 degree 5 colour lozenge ('Aviattic' ATT32019 underside, ATT32018 top surface).
The lower wings/ailerons and elevator are standard 5 colour lozenge ('Aviattic' ATT32075 underside, ATT32013 top surface).
All rib and edging tapes were cut from 'Aviattic' ATT32073.
National markings and pilots personal markings were from the ‘Pheon’ (32023) Siemens Schuckert D.III decal sheet.

I had the problem of repairing the model after I dropped it during final preparation for applying the decals.
I managed to catch it between my legs, but in the process clamped the wing tips which transformed the D.III into more of a Vought Corsair!!

corsair.jpg

I had to break off the upturned lower wings, clean up, re-pack, re-drill and re-pin then reassemble.
All in all it didn't turn out too bad.

The surfaces are gloss sealed so as not to damage the applied decals. The final finish and weathering will be done later in the build.

Mike

decalsdone1.jpg

decalsdone2.jpg

decalsdone3.jpg

decalsdone4.jpg

decalsdone5.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
Moving along slowly.
The engine and cowl have been fitted with an 'RB Productions' 9/32nd flat rigging wire used to represent the cowl retaining strap.
Photo-etch quarter turn fasteners have been added to the main panels and wingnut fasteners to the two side and one underside access panels.
Both machine guns are on as well as the fuel tank contents gauge.
Very slight paint weathering was applied (sponged) and a light sheen sealing coat airbrushed to act as the base for dirt weathering.
Before that I need to fit and rig the undercarriage assembly so as to prevent damaging the PE fasteners on the underside access panel on the fuselage. 

Mike 

lightsheen1.jpg

lightsheen2.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
The undercarriage is now fitted.
The top of each strut were drilled and rod pinned to fit into holes drilled into the fuselage.
The axle, which was mould rectangular, was re-profiled and the four retaining straps added using lead wire.
Cross bracing using 'Gaspatch' metal turnbuckles and anchors with 0.5 mm diameter tube and 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament.
The steel core bungee suspension cords were represented by 'EZ' Heavy line (White), wrapped and painted with thinned 'Tamiya' Buff (XF57).

Mike

carriagedone1.jpg

carriagedone2.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,
The wash has been removed to leave a weathered coat, then sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) lacquer.
Also the elevator has been rigged (ailerons and rudder have no external control lines),

Mike

washdone1.jpg

washdone2.jpg

washdone3.jpg

washdone4.jpg

elevcont1.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,
The pre-rigging was first added for the cross bracing, flying and landing wires. Mono-filament 0.12 mm diameter and 0.5 mm diameter tube. 'Gaspatch' metal 1?48th scale turnbuckles and anchors.
Underside of the upper wing, top surface of the lower wings, engine cowl and the tension frame for the cross bracing wires of the rear cabane struts.
Then the upper wing was fitted - always a tricky time of the build.

Then next step is to fit the rudder and elevator then complete the full rigging,

Mike

prerig1.jpg 

prerig2.jpg 

prerig3.jpg 

prerig4.jpg 

prerig7.jpg 

prerig6.jpg  

wingon.jpg 

• Like 5

Hi all,
The full rigging has been completed now for the flying, landing wires and the various cross bracing wires.
The elevator has been fitted and its four control lines installed.

Remaining jobs to complete are the aileron control rods in the upper wing, engine cowl retaining plates bracing wires), propeller and its spinner and finally the windscreen.
After that it will be completing the figures and display case/base,

Mike

rigdone1.jpg 

rigdone2.jpg 

rigdone3.jpg 

rigdone4.jpg 

• Like 6

Hi all,
Apart from the propeller, which Alex at 'ProperPlane' is attempting to make, the model is complete.
The rudder is fitted.
The windscreen in the kit is just a thin acetate outline, which is not very realistic, so I modified a 'spare' windscreen.
The aileron control rod assemblies, which I modified earlier, were fitted into the cut-outs I made in the upper wing.
Finally the bracing wire at each side of the engine cowl was held in a metal retainer, which I made from spare photo-etch harness buckles.

Until the propeller is fitted I'll carry on painting the two figures and ladder,

Mike

rudderon.jpg 

ailconton1.jpg 

ailconton2.jpg 

cowlretainplate.jpg 

cowlretainplate1.jpg 

• Like 3

Hi all,
The figures, which the ‘Aviattic’ “GötterdÄmmerung” pilot and airman set (ATTRES 024).
All painted with 'Tamiya' acrylics with metal fitting using 'Mr. Colour' enamels.
The ladder was base coated with 'AK Interactive' Wood wash (AK 263)
'Tamiya' Weathering Master sets A, D and E used for dirt/stains.

Just awaiting the propeller from Alex at 'ProperPlane' and the display case (due tomorrow,

Mike

PS:  Is it just me but after I'd finished I thought 'the pilot reminds me of someone'.

tora.jpg 

figsdone1.jpg 

figsdone2.jpg 

figsdone3.jpg 

figsdone4.jpg 

• Like 2

Hi all,
All I need to complete this model now is the wood laminate propeller from 'ProperPlane', which is on it's way.
This propeller profile is slightly different to the kit propeller, which it seems is not quite correct.
As such I'll probably need to re-profile the 'Loon Models' resin spinner I've used, as it is made to fit the kit spinner.

I'll post up photos of the completed model once its complete.

I'd like to thank everyone for their encouragement and comments.

Mike 

7 hours ago, europapete said:

Lol, yuup! that's quite a good likeness there Mike. Fantastic build, mind if I print out the article and stash in the box for when I get around to building mine? Regards, Pete in RI

Fill your boots - that's what the PDF build logs are for 👍