1/72nd KP Cessna Crane x 2

24 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

So clockwise, as viewed from the rear. I'll have a look and see what I've got.

Regards,

Adrian

Here's what you need, according to the Type Certificate:

Two propellers (incl. hub) - any fixed pitch wood which is eligible for the engine power and speed and which meets the following limits:
Static r.p.m. at maximum permissible throttle setting: Not over 1950, not under 1810. No additional tolerance permitted.
Diameter: Not over 97 in., not under 87 in. for T-50
Diameter: not over 93 in., not under 87 in. for AT-17 and UC-78
(Note S & S propeller 210E, 93 in. dia., 76 in. pitch, meets the above limits and is eligible.)

Did Aeroclub make propellers that would work? Perhaps some can be found.

• Like 1

@Space Ranger

Michael,

Sorry to hear about the demise of the original Songbird-the Cessna 310 replacement sure didn't have the same panache! Neat that you participated in the creation of the Czech Model kit. Glad I found a link you didn't have. Stay safe, podnuh! BTW, Bob Angel says he's pretty sure he remembers who you were- a lot of part-timers staged in and out of Dibbles back in the day!

Mike

• Like 2

Lovely job Tony 👍, if I may suggest I don't think it's so much the Tamiya tape as it's low tack on Matt that may be the problem (Please forgive me if I'm wrong). This is a problem easily avoided with an airbrush by simply spraying over the edge of the tape, but not so much if one is using a hairy stick or aerosol, in which case it may be an idea to gloss coat the first color before masking it, and then burnishing the edges of the tape down with a toothpick or other such similar item. Just a thought.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

So clockwise, as viewed from the rear. I'll have a look and see what I've got.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,..... much appreciated

20 hours ago, nsmekanik said:

Lovely job Tony 👍, if I may suggest I don't think it's so much the Tamiya tape as it's low tack on Matt that may be the problem (Please forgive me if I'm wrong). This is a problem easily avoided with an airbrush by simply spraying over the edge of the tape, but not so much if one is using a hairy stick or aerosol, in which case it may be an idea to gloss coat the first color before masking it, and then burnishing the edges of the tape down with a toothpick or other such similar item. Just a thought.

Thanks mate,..... yeah it could be the paint,.... but it is a sort of semi gloss, edging on gloss,...... but the acrylic black is very thin,..... maybe I should have used an enamel? 

Cheers

Tony

I think the seepage may be more a case of the paint getting wicked in where the tape hasn't or can't get a good grip on the paint then just leaking. You'd probably end up with the same issue with enamels as the acrylics which would be even more difficult to clean up. Burnishing the edges helps alot but then the coarser the surface the less surface to stick to, and semi gloss is still a bit coarse, add to that thin wet paint and the results are in. I'm just suggesting that you would get a better result if you glossed before masking, burnished down the edge of the tape, and then misted in a couple of light coats to "seal the deal", although not the easiest thing to do with an aerosol I realize. I hope this helps you out.

You do some amazing work and it's always a pleasure to see.

Edit: I just realized you probably brushed on the black, in that case you could brush a thin clear around the edge of the tape, although doing that might add a bit to the ridge of paint I think it still be a bit better then trying to clean up the edges.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2020 at 11:38 PM, nsmekanik said:

I think the seepage may be more a case of the paint getting wicked in where the tape hasn't or can't get a good grip on the paint then just leaking. You'd probably end up with the same issue with enamels as the acrylics which would be even more difficult to clean up. Burnishing the edges helps alot but then the coarser the surface the less surface to stick to, and semi gloss is still a bit coarse, add to that thin wet paint and the results are in. I'm just suggesting that you would get a better result if you glossed before masking, burnished down the edge of the tape, and then misted in a couple of light coats to "seal the deal", although not the easiest thing to do with an aerosol I realize. I hope this helps you out.

You do some amazing work and it's always a pleasure to see.

Edit: I just realized you probably brushed on the black, in that case you could brush a thin clear around the edge of the tape, although doing that might add a bit to the ridge of paint I think it still be a bit better then trying to clean up the edges.

Jut seen your advice mate,.... thanks very much indeed,...... strangely that is what I did,..... hopefully I`ve managed but I almost binned the model! I am just decalling now and I`ll add some pics soon,

Cheers

Tony

• 3 months later...

Well I`ve finished one of them,...of sorts...... the other has gone back in the box!

I still need to add some small exhausts to the engine nacelles and the propeller warning stripe on the nose,..... plus maybe look into an antenna above the cockpit? 

DSCF9211-NEW.jpg

DSCF9213-NEW.jpg

DSCF9204-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Looking good. I will soon be starting one of these for my Wisconsin Central Airlines collection (which, so far, includes only a Lockheed Electra L10). But first, I must finish my current double build of F-4C Phantoms.

I had heard that the landing gear in this kit are too long (as if they are unloaded). What do you think?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 1:25 PM, billn53 said:

Looking good. I will soon be starting one of these for my Wisconsin Central Airlines collection (which, so far, includes only a Lockheed Electra L10). But first, I must finish my current double build of F-4C Phantoms.

I had heard that the landing gear in this kit are too long (as if they are unloaded). What do you think?

Sorry,... just seen your comment mate,..... yes the undercarriage legs are too long for the 1/72nd scale kit. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey fella I missed the completion of this one , sorry. It does look lovely in this scheme,  I love the large fin flash too, great work Tony 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... just wish I hadn`t cocked the one with the black roof up!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tonyot said:

Sorry,... just seen your comment mate,..... yes the undercarriage legs are too long for the 1/72nd scale kit. 

No problem! I did get started on mine (and shortened the gear), but it's now on hold until my decal supplier can make up the markings I need. Here's the WIP so far:

Hi Tony mate, just found this build thread. Fiddly little buggers, sorry you had problems with the masking tape. I've tried Tamiya polish on a cocktail stick a few time. On my cars, I use Auto-Glym Super resin polish. Expensive (down here0 but it does the job and a bottle goes a long way. Maybe a trip to an auto paint supplier and get some 'real' masking tape Selotape have started doing a blue tape which seems pretty good.

Shame the second kit when back in the box!

Chin up mate!

Colin

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 5:24 AM, tonyot said:

One Crane that I do want to build is this senior officers run about, RCAF serial 8187 with the standard yellow scheme given liberal amounts of black trim plus a rank marking on the nose,..... I just wish I had a side view image too!;

Crane-38.jpg

You've inspired me to make a 1/72 Crane in these colours (my wife thanks you...)!

I was just going to follow your lead on the black-and-yellow version - did you end up getting any other views of the black trim on the wings and top of the fuselage?

Also - and this could just be the parlous state of my vision - is that some kind of writing on the fuselage, immediately behind the rank pennant (in line with the top of the propeller blade)? If so any thoughts on what it says?

Thanks for any help,

BB

10 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

You've inspired me to make a 1/72 Crane in these colours (my wife thanks you...)!

I was just going to follow your lead on the black-and-yellow version - did you end up getting any other views of the black trim on the wings and top of the fuselage?

Also - and this could just be the parlous state of my vision - is that some kind of writing on the fuselage, immediately behind the rank pennant (in line with the top of the propeller blade)? If so any thoughts on what it says?

Thanks for any help,

BB

Glad you like the subject,..... sorry I don`t have any more photos of the black topped one apart from the three I`ve posted,..... and I agree,.... that does look like writing,.... probably the `owners' rank and name? 

Good luck with it and I`m sure that your missus will love it,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot