Tamiya Honda Repsol colour help.

Stef N.

Bit of a long shot but does anybody know if the Mr Color Fluorescent Red and Orange are suitable replacements for the Tamiya spray cans? I could get the sprays but it would be a bit of an extra cost and effort to use whereas the small pots would be enough paint for what I want. The only other proper replacements are Zero's but I had a bit of a mare last time I used them so they are my final resort.

Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Bit of a long shot but does anybody know if the Mr Color Fluorescent Red and Orange are suitable replacements for the Tamiya spray cans? I could get the sprays but it would be a bit of an extra cost and effort to use whereas the small pots would be enough paint for what I want. The only other proper replacements are Zero's but I had a bit of a mare last time I used them so they are my final resort.

Thanks for any help.

Zero paints are your best bet mate, what were the issues you had with them if you don't mind me asking ?

• Thanks 1

Most of the problems were me getting used to a newer,more potent paint to be fair. So a lot of painting, stripping and repainting, But finally a frustrating time with a clear coat was the straw that broke the camel's back. The wheels and mudguard look great, The fairings are now landfill.

The strength got me a bit worried too. The fumes are much worse than other paints and I don't think my set up is good enough for them.

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks for any help.

Which exact bike are you building? There are a few Honda's with the Repsol colours and they're not all the same red and orange. If I know the exact bike I may be able to help with either a colour or a mix of colours...

Fair enough personal safety is the most important thing to consider when using any product and zero paints and clear coats are very toxic indeed. Hopefully someone else on the forum can offer you an alternative paint for the job. Good luck with your search. 

Regards Andy 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Which exact bike are you building? There are a few Honda's with the Repsol colours and they're not all the same red and orange. If I know the exact bike I may be able to help with either a colour or a mix of colours...

I got the newer one, the Marc Marquez 2014 RC213V. Tamiya kit 130. Beauty of a kit so I would love to do it justice.

Cheers for your help guys, much appreciated.👍

13 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I got the newer one, the Marc Marquez 2014 RC213V. Tamiya kit 130. Beauty of a kit so I would love to do it justice.

Cheers for your help guys, much appreciated.👍

Ok, so get three Mr Color paints. Fluorescent Orange, Flourescent Red and Flourescent Yellow. Use straight Flourescent Orange for wheels and body parts. See how that looks. You can lighten it if too dark with the yellow or darken it with the red. You can also use the Flourescent Red for the fairing parts, the darker red, unless of course you have decals for those areas. Hope this helps..

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

Play around with the basecoats, the shade of the fluorescent paints is highly dependent on it.

I just use the Mr Color fluorescent over white or very light grey primer. The pigments are very strong, so there's no problem with coverage and getting a nice even shade. They are simple to use. The base colour does not really affect the shade. The Zero flourescents are a bit finicky to apply in my opinion and can darken with more coats, also the base colour does make a big difference to the finished colour.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

I just use the Mr Color fluorescent over white or very light grey primer. The pigments are very strong, so there's no problem with coverage and getting a nice even shade. They are simple to use. The base colour does not really affect the shade.

Not to my experience. I've seen a big difference between a white and a grey basecoat. Also if you go over a certain limit it goes from a really cool, fluorescent-like color to something rather plain, sort of like candy paints. There's a sweet spot to getting the shade just right, my two cents :)

Made this one about a million years ago, when I was just starting airbrushing. No clearcoat.

EadIww3.jpg

ALPQPX5.jpgfAJOrzz.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your advice and tips. Got the 3 colours, other paints for the stash, some fine white primer ordered and a shockingly high delivery charge to boot.🥴😀👍