Kitty Hawk's 1/35 AH-6J to a vanilla civvie MD500?

cvrle

Seems that the Dragon kits are rare on the ground, or command prices comparable to the new Kitty Hawk kit, so I started thinking that it might be possible to use the KH kit as the base...

I know I need a 5 blade main rotor, which the KH kit has. Anything else, except a new instrument panel and sanding off the various bumps on the airframe?

Anyone know more?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The skids on the Kitty Hawk kit are for the Mission Enhanced Little Bird so the skid tubes are a little fatter than for a civilian Model 500.

The tailrotor gearbox is also extended by 12 inches (I think) so that will need to be shortened.

The tailrotor itself is possibly shorter in diameter too and can come in two- or four-blade versions. It is mounted vertically, not canted like on the MELB.

The surface of the fuselage and tailboom features strengthening plates that aren't present on the civilian 500D. Eliminating that and re-instating panel lines and rivet detail would be a big undertaking but can be done.

The engine doors should be smooth at the bottom and shouldn't have the faired vent as it appears in the kit. The engine exhaust pipe is also of a smaller diameter than the AH-6J pipe. 

The instrument panel for the civilian version is different too.

A conversion from the AH-6J to the Hughes 500D is possible but lots of work is required. The Dragon 1/35 Hughes 500M-D Defender kit is by far the best starting point for a civilian 500. Hope this is of use.

BM.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exactly what i was after, thank you!

I'll drop the plan to use the Kitty Hawk and start preying on the old Dragon kit. Funnily enough, what I've seen so far, they still command prices comparable to the new Kitty Hawk kit...

Hi. I had a look on ebay and yes they do command a high enough price. There are a few different versions of the kit, OH-6A, 500M-D Defender, MD500E and the MD530MG Gunship. All are kits of military versions of this helicopter but any of them can be fairly easily converted into the corresponding civilian version.  

BM. 

I want to do the original-500, not the E with the more pointed transparency and I need the higher skids, so the 500 Defender would be best, but the AH-6J would work, since there's a German outfit that does aftermarket skids.

Thank you for your invaluable help!

All the best!