As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Ted

1/32 Airfix American Soldier 1775

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Made me think of a book I had (and should still, though is a but where item?) that I had back in my youth

Part of a series,   unsurprisingly based most on Airfix figures.  I'm sure it a bit dated and basic, but was a good read 'back then'

I'm sure I've seen that book before, I'll have to pick up a copy. I think I have another book on armoured vehicles from that series.

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I use a. Tamiya tape b. plastic electrical tape.

Those are nice models, interesting conversions.

6 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

When you next go to the CWH museum can you have a look in the cafe. A very good friend of mine, Bill Christie donated 1/32 scale models to it which were hanging from the ceiling. He made a Sunderland, B29 and Lanc VRA all from Guillows type kits and covered them in plastic. Bill was a founder member of my model club in Canada and taught me a lot about modelling- and life.

I remember those models, I'll pay more attention to them next time I'm there. Thanks!

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I see you are doing it the "modern" way starting with a dark wash and going lighter. When I did figures I never trusted the covering power of my lighter paints enough! 

Yes, very modern :) I usually prime with light grey but there are so many hidden recesses on this model because I was trying to save time by building it completely before painting that I thought a dark coat would let me get away with not reaching into the recesses to paint. Anyway...as you say it does make a difference in how paint covers, you'll see the photos below look fairly dark, all because of the dark undercoat.

Base coats:

20200524_174237

And here's where I left it last night. Hopefully I can finish it during my lunch break!!

IMG_7799

IMG_7798

Done enough! Thanks to the quality of the model this build was pretty fun. Thanks for the company along the way.

Here's where I started today:

IMG_7800

And here's where I finished:

IMG_7801

And here's Ephraim saying thanks:

20200525_141453

Hi Ted. Just been looking at this in the Gallery and was well impressed. Superb figure modelling and finishing in such a short space of time! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

4 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ted. Just been looking at this in the Gallery and was well impressed. Superb figure modelling and finishing in such a short space of time! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, it was a good challenge. 

Lovely work Ted, very good painting and a superb job on his face, really lifts the model. :goodjob:

Thanks Charlie.

Turned out very nice! The straps and belts look good. I wonder if they modelled him on Roger Daltrey?

Regards,

Adrian

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Turned out very nice! The straps and belts look good. I wonder if they modelled him on Roger Daltrey?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Now that you mention it there is a resemblance.